HELP! Front drive shaft problem

HDR

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 / 2017 Harley Davidson Softail Breakout(custom) / 2020 Jeep Gladiator / 2018 Ford Focus hatch
My truck has about 11,000 miles and has never been in 4wd yet.

I slid under the truck and removed the shield that protects the TPU/transfer case so that I could see where the drain and fill plugs are at. When I removed the shield I saw a lot of grease slung everywhere in a circular pattern around the front drive shaft as it leaves the TPU. There was no grease on the shaft or rubber boot, yet this heavy grease would certainly leave evidence on the source of where it came from. The grease has no odor. I wiped some of the the grease to remove the dirt on its surface to expose the dark gray color so that it could be seen in the picture. Where did this grease come from? (Common sense is from the boot) Do I have a serious issue? I will let the pics speak for themselves....

20201230_185042.jpg

20201230_185121.jpg

20201230_185232.jpg

20201230_185249.jpg

20201230_185356.jpg

20201230_185415.jpg

20201230_185459.jpg

20201230_185606.jpg

20201230_193332.jpg

20201230_185520.jpg
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Someone been in there before you, T? Baffled why the blue stripes are not aligned

best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
HDR

HDR

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 / 2017 Harley Davidson Softail Breakout(custom) / 2020 Jeep Gladiator / 2018 Ford Focus hatch
Someone been in there before you, T? Baffled why the blue stripes are not aligned

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

No Sir. I bought the truck new from a Ford Dealer with only 20 miles on it. Since I never had it in 4WD yet, that front shaft should never have been turning.... correct me if I am wrong. There is not one drop of grease on any of the mounting bolts just outside the boot lip as seen in the pics. There should be grease all over them too. Not any on the shaft housing either. The underside of the truck is spotless except for that area.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
No Sir. I bought the truck new from a Ford Dealer with only 20 miles on it. Since I never had it in 4WD yet, that front shaft should never have been turning.... correct me if I am wrong. There is not one drop of grease on any of the mounting bolts just outside the boot lip as seen in the pics. There should be grease all over them too. Not any on the shaft housing either. The underside of the truck is spotless except for that area.
Unfortunately you are a little wrong. The way these trucks are built the fro t drive shaft is always moving. It may not be driven by the transfercase but we do not have a disconnect in the front axle or hubs with the Rangers. The only thing that physically happens when going into 4WD is the transfercase shifting. What could have happened is one day going down the road you found something and the drive shaft may have spun it around. If the boot was slpit and leaking the grease would be nasty.

j0shm1lls

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger SCrew Lariat FX4 Sport
Vehicle Showcase
@HDR I had this same issue... I noticed it when I was installing my lift kit. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the front drive shaft under warranty. Its definitely the CV boot leaking, the clamp isn't tight enough or something.

OP
OP
HDR

HDR

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
@HDR I had this same issue... I noticed it when I was installing my lift kit. I took it to the dealer and they replaced the front drive shaft under warranty. Its definitely the CV boot leaking, the clamp isn't tight enough or something.
Thanks for replying. Thats what I was thinking, but what still has me confused is there is no grease on the boot lip, axle housing, or mounting bolts. In my experience of similar situations in the past, grease will leave evidence at the source and on anything in the direct path of its projectery. Is it possible that the boot did leak and was fixed at the dealer, then the dealer did not clean up the grease on the underside of the body? Could this have been caught and fixed before I bought it new? Just like P.A. Schilke said....the blue stripe is not aligned. Possibly it was repacked and the boot reinstalled and tightened? or could I still be wrong and the grease somehow escaped from the boot.....

I will get under the truck and twist the boot and see if there is any play from being loose.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
HDR

HDR

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a small hole could be just enough to let grease sling out, but not get everywhere like a tear would.

the blue lines dont line up, so the boot has turned, thats obvious.
Good idea! I will get under there and look for a small hole also.... thanks.

OP
OP
HDR

HDR

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Well.... I did manage to find the source. I used a small mirror and light to look on top of the boot/joint. There was a 1 inch strip of visible grease at the lip of the boot at the exact location of the clamp where it is "tightened". A deformation of the boot most likely from pinching the clamp incorrectly. The boot is tight. It would not turn at all.

I am very anal with my truck and motorcycle! I don't have any trust in the dealerships around me with care. Dealerships have damaged many of my vehicles over the years. I may have to travel to one that has a good reputation.

How long did they have your truck doing the repair? Did they have to look at your truck first or did you tell them the problem and for them to order the part? Seems pretty easy with just a few mounting bolts at each end.

jerardisflossin

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
That grease is actually coming from the CV assembly near the flange. I will bet money that its missing the gasket at the flange or that is was over tightened and crimped said gasket. These gaskets are usually paper and very easy to do. I rebuilt the CV front DS on my WJ and accidentally forgot to put the gasket in. It flung grease exactly like that and then gave up life 2k miles later. I think yours is lasting because the angles on that shaft are very little compared to my WJ (lifted).

Edit: Missed your post on the resolution. Glad you found it.

OP
OP
HDR

HDR

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That grease is actually coming from the CV assembly near the flange. I will bet money that its missing the gasket at the flange or that is was over tightened and crimped said gasket. These gaskets are usually paper and very easy to do. I rebuilt the CV front DS on my WJ and accidentally forgot to put the gasket in. It flung grease exactly like that and then gave up life 2k miles later. I think yours is lasting because the angles on that shaft are very little compared to my WJ (lifted).

Edit: Missed your post on the resolution. Glad you found it.
Thanks for the info. Really strange this was like this off the showroom floor! I have no idea how long ago this has spun all the grease out of the boot.

I do have a couple questions for anyone that can answer.....

The highlighted bolts in the pic below... are they considered "weights" on the driveshaft? I was thinking NO because they are being sold as 1 part number and if a driveshaft was not balanced, each shaft would need it's own weight placed in a specific location to balance, unless they are a counterbalance....?

Also, does anyone know what lb/ft the mounting bolts are to be torqued to?

1610238911268.png

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the info. Really strange this was like this off the showroom floor! I have no idea how long ago this has spun all the grease out of the boot.

I do have a couple questions for anyone that can answer.....

The highlighted bolts in the pic below... are they considered "weights" on the driveshaft? I was thinking NO because they are being sold as 1 part number and if a driveshaft was not balanced, each shaft would need it's own weight placed in a specific location to balance, unless they are a counterbalance....?

Also, does anyone know what lb/ft the mounting bolts are to be torqued to?

1610238911268.png
Hi T

The bolts weight are insignificant at that radius of rotation... Like picking fly shit out of the pepper. Dana appear to be shipping sourced parts of questionable quality. Dana was once a solid company then we got Spicer wheel hub locks....POS.... Appears Dana needs to get its act together, but where in the hell is Ford Quality Assurance???? Likley Covid related....no plant audits etc... JMO!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
Hi T

The bolts weight are insignificant at that radius of rotation... Like picking fly shit out of the pepper. Dana appear to be shipping sourced parts of questionable quality. Dana was once a solid company then we got Spicer wheel hub locks....POS.... Appears Dana needs to get its act together, but where in the hell is Ford Quality Assurance???? Likley Covid related....no plant audits etc... JMO!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
+1 on Dana Phil ! Sounds like there is an improved rear Dana drive shaft for the Ranger. It appears that Dana is also blamed for the frame rusting on Taco's. Bret
Sponsored