Hello, question regarding increase in turbo sound.

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Baking
Greetings Ranger 5G community,

I've been a long-time lurker(about a year now) and can't wait to start making the Ranger my own, just recently purchased a 2019. I plan on using it for some heavy trail riding and will definitely see some nice starry nights under the Sedona and Flagstaff skies. I've been eyeing up the BDS 3.5 CO kit and bigger tires to match, some added chrome features and last but not least some sort of tune to give me back the power after the bigger tires.... but that'll be down the road after the 3 year warranty wears off.

I love the sound the turbo makes when I get on it and want to increase the "whistle" sound of the turbo. I really don't care too much about the "exhaust" sound, as far as I care that can stay the same. So I guess my question is, is there a way to increase this sound without adding a tune(yet)? Id be open to adding an aftermarket exhaust as-well, from what I can tell the manga flow ones have a subtle nice added tone to them, I for sure don't want it to sound ricey or anywhere close to that.

1614351856329.png
Sponsored

DangerRanger01

First Name
Boston
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Saint John, British Columbia, Canada
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
I.T & Graphics Design Developer
I've recently put in a K & N drop-in filter, and it definitely has its benefits. increased spool sound for sure, and definitely better throttle response. not sure about power gains, and may not be what you're looking for, but it does sound better due to increased airflow.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
the ladies will be dropping their purses they turn their heads so quick when they hear this coming
Looks like his truck has the chrome package, so like me he may have to fight the ladies off, I'm unsure why he would need additional sound effects. I keep having to take those phone no slips out from under my wipers.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
An intake should give you more of the spooley noises you're looking for. Perhaps a blow off valve, although not personally a fan of aftermarket BOVs and would not recommend.

OP
OP
SilverSlugger

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Baking
An intake should give you more of the spooley noises you're looking for. Perhaps a blow off valve, although not personally a fan of aftermarket BOVs and would not recommend.
Yes an intake will be on order today... I’m looking at the Roush one for now. I was trying to find a double scoop designed air intake but haven’t found one yet.

Blmpkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 ranger
The stock intake is more or less designed to silence any and all intake noise, this is true for pretty much every vehicle of the last 30 years at least.

You'll want a cold air intake, but that would likely require a tune.

njdriver19

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 ranger lariet
I have read there is a stock resonator chamber thing on intercooler hose , was wondering if it can be deleted.. bigger turbos might be louder lol,

MagneticXlt

Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger 4X4 Supercab FX4 XLT
I've recently put in a K & N drop-in filter, and it definitely has its benefits. increased spool sound for sure, and definitely better throttle response. not sure about power gains, and may not be what you're looking for, but it does sound better due to increased airflow.
Just noise, there is no other gains. Well except way more dirt entering your engine. Stock setup provides far more air then the engine can ever use, period. Funny how it was designed that way.

SFB

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Crew XLT Sport Black on Black with Magnetic trim, package 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Hi
I may do a CAI, haven't decided yet. I had an Edge with the 2.0 Ecopoop and put a K&N CAI on it, took awhile to get use to the increase in air intake sound. I will at least do a K&N Filter. Is your filter the oil type?

spartan0078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger lariat
Occupation
Railroader
You really notice a sound difference from just a K&N air filter? I'm not complaining if it's true, I LOVE the turbo noise. I'm just skeptical.

OP
OP
SilverSlugger

SilverSlugger

First Name
Wally
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Baking
Decided to go with the Mishimoto CAI. It seemed to have much better engineering than Roush and competitors. It was also the only one to take out the bend in the air intake snorkel. This is going to be paired to the single exit Magna flow exhaust.

DangerRanger01

First Name
Boston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You really notice a sound difference from just a K&N air filter? I'm not complaining if it's true, I LOVE the turbo noise. I'm just skeptical.
Yeah, it’s not like a “oh my god I put a cold air on my ranger” kinda sound, you just get more of that intake noise and I love it, helps to block out the ridiculous DI tick.

DangerRanger01

First Name
Boston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hi
I may do a CAI, haven't decided yet. I had an Edge with the 2.0 Ecopoop and put a K&N CAI on it, took awhile to get use to the increase in air intake sound. I will at least do a K&N Filter. Is your filter the oil type?
Yes it is, was about 70 CAD at our local Pats Auto

Reactions: SFB

DangerRanger01

First Name
Boston
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Just noise, there is no other gains. Well except way more dirt entering your engine. Stock setup provides far more air then the engine can ever use, period. Funny how it was designed that way.
The little 2.3 really doesn’t need much anyways haha, maybe if there was a stage 4 turbo on there ?

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
The stock intake is more or less designed to silence any and all intake noise, this is true for pretty much every vehicle of the last 30 years at least.

You'll want a cold air intake, but that would likely require a tune.
False, no tune needed unless you add a downpipe, bigger turbo, or meth injection.
Sponsored