Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 White Lariat FX4
Occupation
Electrical test technician
Hello everyone!

While I've been a member on here for a few months now, mostly lurking for information and ideas, the time has come to introduce myself and ask for some assistance.

I've been the proud owner of a '22 Lariat FX4 w/ Black appearance package since April. I departed from a brief stint with a Subaru outback -nothing bad to say about, except that it wasn't a pickup truck like my 2 previous rides ('11 Tacoma and '15 Silverado)- and landed my Ranger from my local dealer for a good deal considering the current car market.

Some minor mods so far, with plenty more in the works, but ultimately my goal is to have something for getting into camping/overlanding with my son. I'm planning on an RCI bed rack for throwing a RTT on top, and this is where my current question lies.

Both the RCI sport and HD bed racks have the same static rating according to RCI's website of 750lb (unofficially 1,500 lbs). With this in mind, can anyone who has had either or both comment on why I would spend the extra money for the HD? I may be overlooking something obvious (dynamic rating which they dont post??), but at face value I'd rather save the $$ to put towards other things.

I'm mainly interested in the RCI racks because they offer the adapter that will work with my Bak Revolver X4s tonneau cover.

Any insight/experience would be great!

Thanks!

(Obligatory first post photo included.)

20220802_185358.jpg
Sponsored

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering

OFC Ranger

First Name
Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2
Vehicle Showcase
Check out this thread of a well known member here. He’s definitely the guy to be answering your questions and probably share some ideas and experiences along with expertise @OFC Ranger

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/there-are-many-builds-but-this-one-is-mine.8680/
That thread is horribly out-dated lol - I am about to launch a new one later this month.

As to the OP, check the link in my signature.

Edit: In-case you can't see it: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/hybrid-diy-10-over-cab-rack-platform.20502/

If that is not a testament to the RCI rack I don't know what is. I have probably banged, altered, and beat the crap out of my RCI rack more than anyone imagined possible and two years later no failures anywhere to be seen.

OP
OP
SD4160

SD4160

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 White Lariat FX4
Occupation
@Trigganometry thanks for the quick reply!

I'm checking out the link now @OFC Ranger. Very cool!

Do you think there is any reason to think The Sport version (4 support legs vs 6 on the HD) would not be equally as capable? Now I'm back on their website and seeing no static weight limit, making me think a 3rd party vendor may have misrepresented the weights as the same.?

Thanks again to both of you. I'll keep peeling through the thread you linked

Last edited:

MER21

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Sales
Hello everyone!

While I've been a member on here for a few months now, mostly lurking for information and ideas, the time has come to introduce myself and ask for some assistance.

I've been the proud owner of a '22 Lariat FX4 w/ Black appearance package since April. I departed from a brief stint with a Subaru outback -nothing bad to say about, except that it wasn't a pickup truck like my 2 previous rides ('11 Tacoma and '15 Silverado)- and landed my Ranger from my local dealer for a good deal considering the current car market.

Some minor mods so far, with plenty more in the works, but ultimately my goal is to have something for getting into camping/overlanding with my son. I'm planning on an RCI bed rack for throwing a RTT on top, and this is where my current question lies.

Both the RCI sport and HD bed racks have the same static rating according to RCI's website of 750lb (unofficially 1,500 lbs). With this in mind, can anyone who has had either or both comment on why I would spend the extra money for the HD? I may be overlooking something obvious (dynamic rating which they dont post??), but at face value I'd rather save the $$ to put towards other things.

I'm mainly interested in the RCI racks because they offer the adapter that will work with my Bak Revolver X4s tonneau cover.

Any insight/experience would be great!

Thanks!

(Obligatory first post photo included.)

20220802_185358.jpg
Give the guys a KB Voodoo Fabrications a call or shoot them an email. They were the first ones years ago to start making bed racks that are compatible with tonneau covers. I used to have one on my old Tacoma with the factory tonneau cover and it was rock solid. They also have great customer service and all their products are made in the U.S.A.
https://www.max-modular.com/ford-ranger-years-2019-to-present

OP
OP
SD4160

SD4160

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 White Lariat FX4
Occupation
Thanks @MER21. I'll check them out!

AndyMedic

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Paramedic
I have the 4 post bed rack from RCI with no complaints. Holds my RTT great and works with my tonneau cover also with the brackets.

OP
OP
SD4160

SD4160

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 White Lariat FX4
Occupation
Awesome @AndyMedic thanks! I'm wrestling with the sport 12" bed rack with the adapters or the 9" bed bars with adapters, trying to keep the tent low. Any chance you could throw up a picture for reference when you have a chance?

Thanks again for the input

AndyMedic

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Paramedic
Here ya go @SD4160

I may try and make the rack work without the brackets at some point to lower the tent more so it’s not so high up. I have the 12” rack also.

Also not sure why my bed rail bowed up on both sides also. So that I have to figure out also.

47BBA4A4-DCD0-45B2-94D1-963E7839324E.jpeg

ADE95ABC-68EE-4175-8914-08D48FBC2E1E.jpeg

OP
OP
SD4160

SD4160

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 White Lariat FX4
Occupation
@AndyMedic very nice!

What have you done with your suspension and wheels/tires? Those tires look about the exact size I'm looking to go up to once my eibach struts/rear shocks and icon multipack leafs go in.

AndyMedic

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Paramedic
@AndyMedic very nice!

What have you done with your suspension and wheels/tires? Those tires look about the exact size I'm looking to go up to once my eibach struts/rear shocks and icon multipack leafs go in.
LT265/70R-18 Destination XT and a wheel spacer. I’m running the OME nitro charger kit with ICON UCA’s

OP
OP
SD4160

SD4160

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 White Lariat FX4
Occupation
Cool. Thanks for the info! I assume you had to mod, swap, or remove the crash bars for that tire to work? I'm looking to go with LT275/70R17 C rated. I'm planning on swapping out for a set of readylift bars.

AndyMedic

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Paramedic
Cool. Thanks for the info! I assume you had to mod, swap, or remove the crash bars for that tire to work? I'm looking to go with LT275/70R17 C rated. I'm planning on swapping out for a set of readylift bars.

Crash bars in place. No rubbing after spacers
Sponsored