First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Sport
Occupation
Sports Photographer
I just had the dealer replace a roof rail which required the headliner to be removed and I think they installed it incorrectly or missed a fastener point. At the dome light is there supposed to be a clip to secure it to the roof? Mine is sagging and I can push it up about an inch before it hits the roof. Lots of room/play. From the parts diagram I am not seeing any kind of fastener or support in the center there which I find strange. I have seen other makes use magnets but not sure if the Ranger uses one here as well or how that would be attached.

Has anyone removed the headliner themselves and found any attachment points?

Thanks
Sponsored

OP
OP
cory1848

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sports Photographer
I would be greatly appreciative if someone could check this for me on their truck. Only takes 2 seconds. Just push up on the headliner near the dome light and see if there is play before it hits the roof, or if it is solidly attached to the roof.

Many thanks in advance.

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
Going to check now

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
The headliner in front of the dome light I can push up an inch or so. The headliner behind the dome light doesn’t move much at all when I push on it.

OP
OP
cory1848

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sports Photographer
The headliner in front of the dome light I can push up an inch or so. The headliner behind the dome light doesn’t move much at all when I push on it.
Thanks for checking for me! Much appreciated. Mine behind the light moves an inch or so. I still think mine isnt adhered correctly but not sure what is the attachment point... Magnet, tape, etc?

Again, thanks for doing that for me!

JB's Garage

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger / 1989 Dodge Ram 1st Gen
Occupation
Engineer
I am worried about getting my roof moldings replace because of this. On the rear black moldings on both sides the paint pealed off. The Cocoa Fl Ford Dealership said they wouldn't promise that the headliner would be damaged in the process.

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Thanks for checking for me! Much appreciated. Mine behind the light moves an inch or so. I still think mine isnt adhered correctly but not sure what is the attachment point... Magnet, tape, etc?

Again, thanks for doing that for me!
Take it in for the dealer to see...compare to a truck on the lot.

OP
OP
cory1848

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sports Photographer
Take it in for the dealer to see...compare to a truck on the lot.
At the dealer now and all they have is a 2021 which has no sag at the dome light. Solid like it should be. Service guy told me they changed them for 2021 which I have to look at parts diagram to see if they are different. I don’t have access to another 19 to compare too.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cory1848

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sports Photographer
I found a 2020 used on the lot and there is no play behind the dome light so something is definitely missing. Now trying to convince the tech something isnt right which is proving to be a challenge.

Anyone know what this part is circled in red? Originally thought it was the dome light but not so sure.

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 10.33.47 AM.png

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Right...Ford changed a liner coupling. I guess I have a feeling of...show me the instructions for both trucks. I can see Ford removing parts...but adding them? Good luck. Other dealers may have a different outlook, or Ford customer service.

Tracy Bowman

First Name
Tracy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Hyundai Accent, 2001 Ford F-150, 2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Saber Lariat
I found a 2020 used on the lot and there is no play behind the dome light so something is definitely missing. Now trying to convince the tech something isnt right which is proving to be a challenge.

Anyone know what this part is circled in red? Originally thought it was the dome light but not so sure.

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 10.33.47 AM.png
I just checked mine 2019. There is no play in the back, but the front does go in about 1/2 inch when pressed.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I just checked mine 2019. There is no play in the back, but the front does go in about 1/2 inch when pressed.
Mines the same as yours. No play at all behind the dome light but I have a good inch of play before it.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Think #2 in picture is the eyeglass holder bin for

OP
OP
cory1848

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sports Photographer
pull the light out

find some styrofoam blocks to fit the gaps where the movement is....two sided sticky tape in place. problem solved.
Is that how it is supposed to be or is that just a hack? I want the dealer to fix it the right way since they caused the issue. There was another post where the owner said there was a magnet right behind the dome light holding it to the roof. This would make sense as that would prevent it from sagging but cannot find any info on it other than his post.

OP
OP
cory1848

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sports Photographer
its a hack
because sometimes its quicker, easier and less stress to simply avoid the dealership who will deny any problem in the hopes you go away. thats dealer 101.
the relationship will sour and you'll never be happy with said dealership.
you can be sure headliner work is not a high volume item at any dealership, and mechanics arent likely very skilled with them on one model vs a whole garage full of them
the service manual is lacking details, and theres no guarantee that if they pull it a second time the problem will be solved.

fix your problem with a simple solution and move forward.
If it were out of warranty I might do that, however I have no problem pushing back on the dealer especially since they caused the problem. They are obligated to fix it. And I really do want to know if there is anything holding up the headliner to the metal roof or not. Magnet, adhesive, foam block, etc.
Sponsored