cory1848

First Name
Cory
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Sport
Occupation
Sports Photographer
If the magnet is still attached to the headliner, push up until it attaches ?

If the magnet is attached to the roof and not the headliner - problem.

Locate the magnet with a piece of metal ?
The question is, is there a magnet at all?

Advertisement

Ranger_Rocks

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer

RANGER PRIDE

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Supercrew
here's my take, based on this photo from that thread....

those two grey blocks...they are styrofoam. they look to be at least an inch thick. the headliner adds at least another half inch.
they clearly space the headliner downwards, and give the light a place to rest against.
pushing at the light itself, should seat immediately and the light should not move towards the roof.
how far these foams go is beyond me. the length of the roof? only the immediate light area?
are they used for rigidity of the headliner along its whole length? how to they attach to the headliner if thats the case? or dont they?

as for a magnet....where would it be located, how would it be attached with that obvious gap, keeping in mind it needs to be close enough to the metal roof to attach

inquiring minds

1611455206368.png

OP
cory1848

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sports Photographer
Going to pop out my dome light tomorrow to see if those gray blocks are there. I doubt they are.
As for magnets this is a pic from f150 I found on eBay. You can see the support with what appears to be magnets on the top. I wonder if the Ranger gray blocks have magnets on them as well.

48DAA4AD-74F4-479F-BB5A-50DF40E8E192.png

RANGER PRIDE

Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Supercrew
maybe there is supposed to be magnets on the upper side of the foam...so the question is....did your foams get disconnected or damaged from the headliner....or removed completely?

OP
cory1848

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sports Photographer
So I am not losing my mind. Check this out. Removed the dome light and stuck my phone up there and took a pic. The attachment mount is ripped off the headliner. The gray foam isn’t attached to the roof. It’s just a spacer block. This attachment holds it up. Now to fight with the dealer on fixing it.

01CA47ED-47BE-4C1B-8A0F-E7E0EBB0FEBE.jpeg

OP
cory1848

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sports Photographer
since you're already in there.....glue it and be done with it.
I have to go back to the dealer for another issue (seatbelt bucket getting replaced) so will use this as a teaching moment for them since they don't know there is an attachment point there. They need to make it right.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger. 2005 S2000. 2009 R1
Occupation
Small Business Owner
I agree. Glue and hold it in place until its set and then forget about it. I can guarantee if you try to get the dealership to warranty it, they will have to replace the entire headliner and they will most likely wreck more stuff in the process than what's wrong right now.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT - Super Cab - Shadow Black, 2014 VW Passat - Black
Occupation
Corporate Communications Consultant & Renovation Contractor
Vehicle Showcase
I agree. Glue and hold it in place until its set and then forget about it. I can guarantee if you try to get the dealership to warranty it, they will have to replace the entire headliner and they will most likely wreck more stuff in the process than what's wrong right now.
This is such an annoying situation. You have to wonder if the dealership had a technician (mechanic) try and do the work a body shop person would be better suited to do or if their in-house body shop needs better training or if they used a third-party body shop that isn’t familiar with the Ranger.

Either way, someone had to have felt enough resistance and then none when this came out and there’s no frickin’ way they didn’t notice when the roof was exposed or when they were re-installing it.

I really think it comes down to someone not caring because I can’t see them missing this. We’ve all had those “oh shit” moments when we know we pulled, pried or torqued too much. Make them fix it because someone needs to “own” it. You’re doing the next customer a favour.

OP
cory1848

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sports Photographer
This is such an annoying situation. You have to wonder if the dealership had a technician (mechanic) try and do the work a body shop person would be better suited to do or if their in-house body shop needs better training or if they used a third-party body shop that isn’t familiar with the Ranger.

Either way, someone had to have felt enough resistance and then none when this came out and there’s no frickin’ way they didn’t notice when the roof was exposed or when they were re-installing it.

I really think it comes down to someone not caring because I can’t see them missing this. We’ve all had those “oh shit” moments when we know we pulled, pried or torqued too much. Make them fix it because someone needs to “own” it. You’re doing the next customer a favour.
This is exactly why I don't give them a pass. It was a mechanic, not a body shop tech that did the work. But it is also a fault of lack of information as the headliner replacement parts diagram. The attachment is shown but its not labeled as such. I confused it as the dome light but now it appears to be that magnet attachment. Either way, the service tech had no idea either and tried to brush it off. How they react when I bring it in will tell me how much they care.

Advertisement

Advertisement