First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger
Occupation
Steelworkers
Every so often truck will grab 4th firmer that the other gears. Does this happen to anyone else?
Sponsored

ElSolo

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT, Lightning Blue, FX2 pkg, 301A pkg, Tow pkg.
when its cold
I've noticed something similar. It's almost always at the same intersection too, which is weird. When I start the truck and head out from where it's parked, I always come to the same intersection where I make a left turn. As I pull away from the stop and begin to turn left onto the street, truck almost always jumps from 1st to 3rd/4th pretty hard. Seems like others have the same issue. Question is: is this normal/something I should worry about?

Turbotom1052

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Screw
Occupation
Retired
Have you tried a KAM reset?

Turbotom1052

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Screw
Occupation
Retired
How do you do the reset?
Make yourself about a 1 foot length of jumper wire from a section of 10 or 12 gauge wire with alligator clips on each end. With the truck shut off, disconnect the negative battery cable from the terminal, and wrap a rag around the cable end so that it doesn't touch anything. Attach one end of the jumper cable with an alligator clip to the positive battery terminal that will still be connected. Connect the other alligator clip to the negative battery cable that you have removed and insulated with a rag. Allow it to sit like that for about a half hour with the truck turned off. This process will drain all the capacitors or diodes of all charge. In doing this you wind up wiping clean all of the adaptive memory stored in the ECU. This will allow your engine and transmission to re learn all of the adaptive settings like fuel trims, and shift pressures ect. After doing this it would probably be a good idea to sweep your throttle position sensor. Once your done clearing the adaptive memory and allowing your TPS to re learn, you will want to start it up without any pressure on the throttle pedal. Let it come up to full operating temp without giving it any gas. This will allow the ECU to learn the idle. Just be sure that once you've cleared everything and begin to drive the truck, that you drive it a little easy at first. Let the computer re learn slowly. A couple of days of easy driving should be adequate, then you can begin to little by little get on it if thats your thing.

Last edited:

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
Make yourself about a 1 foot length of jumper wire from a section of 10 or 12 gauge wire with alligator clips on each end. Disconnect the negative battery cable from the terminal, and wrap a rag around the cable end so that it doesn't touch anything. Attach one end of the jumper cable with an alligator clip to the positive battery terminal that will still be connected. Connect the other alligator clip to the negative battery cable that you have removed and insulated with a rag. Allow it to sit like that for about a half hour with the truck turned off. This process will drain all the capacitors or diodes of all charge. In doing this you wind up wiping clean all of the adaptive memory stored in the ECU. This will allow your engine and transmission to re learn all of the adaptive settings like fuel trims, and shift pressures ect. Just be sure that once you've cleared everything and your ECU is re learning you drive it a little easy at first. Let the computer re learn slowly. A couple of days of easy driving should be adequate, then you can begin to little by little get on it if thats your thing.
You would do this to a new truck under warranty?

Turbotom1052

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Screw
Occupation
Retired
You would do this to a new truck under warranty?
If your dealer has had no luck in resolving the problem then yes. My guess is that may be one of the first things they try, because it doesn't require any parts swap, or long install labor. When the MoCo comes out with a new flash for the ECU one of the things that happens during a reflash is that the KAM gets cleared automatically when they re flash.
Sponsored

Last edited: