Getting close to tire size decision

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4WD, 2021 Bronco Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I'm coming down to the decision on tire size and have been cramming my brain with which tire I should choose for a couple weeks now. I'm waiting for my Fox 2.0 Roush coil over kit to ship, my 17"x8.5" +25 wheels are scheduled for delivery today and I'm going to go with the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W tire. I haven't decided on 285/70 or 275/70. The difference in tire size is only .4 inches and what I'm reading is that the majority of 285's installed has required trimming crash bars. I've read some posts that claim they didn't have to trim on their 285 installs and others say, they rubbed so bad they had to remove them completely. So much contradiction. I'm not anti-removal, but I plan on driving to Discount Tire right after I install the level and have the wheels mounted to tire and installed on the truck. I don't want rubbing when I'm leaving the Discount Tire.

I know someone out there has the same Fox kit installed with same spec'd wheel with same tire installed, but I haven't stumbled across their post yet. Anyone have input?
Sponsored

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
I believe most of the installs with 285/70R17 tires and a 2" lift that did not rub were using the factory wheels (+55 offset) with no spacer or a 1/4" spacer. Though the +25 offset aftermarket wheels in a 17x8.5 is a real nice fit, I don't believe that you will not rub without needing to modify the crash bars to some extent.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I belive Shea is correct on this one here. You are right that a lot of memebers were able ro do it on stock wheels with a 1/4 wheel spacer and not make any trimming. There has been one member to mount a 285/70-17 Firestone Destination XT on the factory wheel and no spacers and it does just fine. I just can't remember who it was right off. With that offset hopefully you wont have to do much. If anything you might(key word)have to replace the crash bars. If you so need to cut them make sure you order some new ones ment for extra clearance. No there are not crash tested but Fors has them for a reason.

SPEEDBUILT

First Name
Zak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Strength Coach
I'm coming down to the decision on tire size and have been cramming my brain with which tire I should choose for a couple weeks now. I'm waiting for my Fox 2.0 Roush coil over kit to ship, my 17"x8.5" +25 wheels are scheduled for delivery today and I'm going to go with the Falken Wildpeak A/T3W tire. I haven't decided on 285/70 or 275/70. The difference in tire size is only .4 inches and what I'm reading is that the majority of 285's installed has required trimming crash bars. I've read some posts that claim they didn't have to trim on their 285 installs and others say, they rubbed so bad they had to remove them completely. So much contradiction. I'm not anti-removal, but I plan on driving to Discount Tire right after I install the level and have the wheels mounted to tire and installed on the truck. I don't want rubbing when I'm leaving the Discount Tire.

I know someone out there has the same Fox kit installed with same spec'd wheel with same tire installed, but I haven't stumbled across their post yet. Anyone have input?
I’m rubbing slightly with a +35 Toyo at3, you are gonna rub with 285. You might get away with it if you use a tire that runs narrow-BFG at, or Goodyear Duratrac. Might as well just run aftermarket crash bars and save on the labor of two different trips to the shop.

OP
OP
Robisten8

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just got done loosening and pushing the front crash bars forward as much as possible. They moved quite a bit. I'd guess half an inch or so. I cant get to the outside bolt on the rears to see if they move though. Worse case scenario, I'll just trim them up with a grinder. I've noticed many use a reciprocating saw and complain about broken blades and such and wondered why people didn't just use a grinder.

I am leaning more toward the 275, but will always want to know if the 285's would've fit if I didn't try them.

I also removed the air dam while I was tinkering with the crash bars. Looks better without.

OP
OP
Robisten8

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

NvrFinished

First Name
Shea
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT 4x4 Rapid Red
Discount Tire is very good about checking fitment. They will mount up a couple of 285/70R17's to try fitment on the front if you ask them.

OP
OP
Robisten8

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Discount Tire is very good about checking fitment. They will mount up a couple of 285/70R17's to try fitment on the front if you ask them.
The ones local to me all say 3-5 days though for that size, so not sure I'll have that option.

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 PKG
Occupation
Sales
I just ordered my wheels and tires today when I dropped off my truck for the suspension install. I personally went with a 285x70x17 with a 17x8.5 0mm offset. The shop that’s doing all of my work is also modifying my crash bars. They told me they are doing the exact same thing they do to the ranger they put 33” tires on so they won’t have any issues down the road.

OP
OP
Robisten8

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I just ordered my wheels and tires today when I dropped off my truck for the suspension install. I personally went with a 285x70x17 with a 17x8.5 0mm offset. The shop that’s doing all of my work is also modifying my crash bars. They told me they are doing the exact same thing they do to the ranger they put 33” tires on so they won’t have any issues down the road.
What suspension kit are you doing? I'd rather spend labor money elsewhere. I can't imagine the prices shops are wanting for installing a coil over or leveling kit.

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
What suspension kit are you doing? I'd rather spend labor money elsewhere. I can't imagine the prices shops are wanting for installing a coil over or leveling kit.
I went with the bilstein 5100 kiton all 4 corners. It will give me 2.5” level.

So for all 4 corners I’m paying 275$+ 50$ for the crash bars to be modified. After price checking this was a great deal. I just have to pay for an alignment.

OP
OP
Robisten8

Robisten8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I went with the bilstein 5100 kiton all 4 corners. It will give me 2.5” level.

So for all 4 corners I’m paying 275$+ 50$ for the crash bars to be modified. After price checking this was a great deal. I just have to pay for an alignment.
Damn! I guess I just don't understand labor for a mechanic. It's a 2-3 hour job for someone in their garage with jack stands and hand tools, you'd think a shop can probably knock it out in half that. $150/hour for labor seems a bit much for the profession. I'd rather invite a friend over and go shoot $325 worth of ammo afterwards.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
That is a good price. I bought Bilstein level struts an got quotes from $300 to $500 for just the fronts (I already did the rear myself). I know 2 guys that are starting their own business modifying cars an they are gonna do it for $250.

Lost19Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sales
That is a good price. I bought Bilstein level struts an got quotes from $300 to $500 for just the fronts (I already did the rear myself). I know 2 guys that are starting their own business modifying cars an they are gonna do it for $250.
that’s not bad either, my shop was going to do it for 375 with an alignment but the closed at 2 on Saturday so he gave me 100$ off and I put that towards the wheels and tires. I’m sitting at the alignment shop as we speak and they are charging 60$ out the door so 40$ saved. Wheels and tires ordered I can’t wait.
Sponsored