Garage door opener in overhead console, wiring question.

Buddybiro

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired
I just put a Homelink garage door opener in my overhead console. Right now I have it hooked to a 9 volt battery. I would like to wire it into a key on power wire and another wire for the lights in it. I do not want the opener to be on if the truck is not running and I do not want the illumination on all the time, only when dash lights are on. There are five wires up in the ohc, one black with blue stripe that I assume is ground. There is also yellow with green stripe, solid yellow, solid purple, and white with purple stripe. The solid purple is only hot with courtesy lights, the other three are hot always. If I have to run wires down the pillar I will. Biggest question is where can I tap into dash lights??

0CEB4E23-26CF-4559-AB66-0BFFB7C26EE8.jpeg
Sponsored

geophb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Couple things:

I need this. Did it plug straight in for the map lights and then the garage opener is a seperate plug? or? Please elaborate

If I recall on other vehicles the garage opener is powered 24/7 so that you can hit the button anytime and open the garage door. Will programming reset with it unpowered?

OP
OP
Buddybiro

Buddybiro

First Name
Buddy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger xlt
Occupation
Retired
I purchased a homelink opener off eBay. My garage opener is newer so I had to be sure to buy a version 5. It will have hl5 at the end of the numbers on it. I had to make a template out of paper to cut the hole In the ohc. Right now I have a nine volt battery on it to operate it but I want to wire it in. I do not want it working unless the truck is running so if I leave it out of the garage no one can use it to get in the garage.
Sponsored