Jake596

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT/2013 F-150/1976 F250
Vehicle Showcase
Gonna post this in the Offroad section also. Out deer huntin with my kid who has a 2005 Tacoma decked out for off road with lots of clearance. Out in the brush, dust and rocks this past weekend, his Fumoto valve protection clip came off (or was removed by bushes) valve opened, lost all his oil, thought we caught it in time, got oil back in pan, thought it was ok, nope..... Engine is done, I had to tow it with my ranger which was loaded with a wall tent camp..... I know nothing about these valves and would only say, if you actually take your rig out in the sticks maybe dont put one of those quick drain valves on your truck......On a lighter note, the Ranger prolly had 500 pounds in the bed and towed the Tacoma 100 miles up and down a summit with no issues.... I do have the timberline bump springs installed and that made things great for the bed weight.
IMG_20201004_133939848_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200928_165652727_HDR.jpg
Sponsored

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
That’s quite a gut-punch. On the bright side, there are used engines everywhere for those older Tacomas.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Gonna post this in the Offroad section also. Out deer huntin with my kid who has a 2005 Tacoma decked out for off road with lots of clearance. Out in the brush, dust and rocks this past weekend, his Fumoto valve protection clip came off (or was removed by bushes) valve opened, lost all his oil, thought we caught it in time, got oil back in pan, thought it was ok, nope..... Engine is done, I had to tow it with my ranger which was loaded with a wall tent camp..... I know nothing about these valves and would only say, if you actually take your rig out in the sticks maybe dont put one of those quick drain valves on your truck......On a lighter note, the Ranger prolly had 500 pounds in the bed and towed the Tacoma 100 miles up and down a summit with no issues.... I do have the timberline bump springs installed and that made things great for the bed weight.
IMG_20201004_133939848_HDR.jpg
IMG_20200928_165652727_HDR.jpg
so it was a valve with the pictured clip
1601934311201.png

and it failed ? was considering putting one on the Ranger - until now.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
And this is why I am against that valve. The factory drain plug wont do this at all as long as it is installed correctly.
How's life in Poncha Springs, been thru there 4 or 5 times this summer and for the 1st time ever noticed a panhandler at the junction of 50 and 285, sign of the times I guess. Took the Ranger up the road to north fork reservoir, it's a few miles west up 50 before Monarch but stopped at the gas station , maybe it's a shell and the place was packed and saw a guy pull out and get whacked by a semi coming down route 50. That road to North Fork is a long 10 mile slow drive , a few of the bad spots have been fixed but it's seen heavy use this past summer.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
How's life in Poncha Springs, been thru there 4 or 5 times this summer and for the 1st time ever noticed a panhandler at the junction of 50 and 285, sign of the times I guess. Took the Ranger up the road to north fork reservoir, it's a few miles west up 50 before Monarch but stopped at the gas station , maybe it's a shell and the place was packed and saw a guy pull out and get whacked by a semi coming down route 50. That road to North Fork is a long 10 mile slow drive , a few of the bad spots have been fixed but it's seen heavy use this past summer.
Wow.... I wasnt even aware of that.... I have been up there during this last summer once along with Billings Lake. It was a bit fun. As for life in this area...... Well it sucks because no one pays to keep you here and i see myself leaving this area very soon.....

Phik

First Name
PK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Oh man. I have one of those. Perhaps I'll cover it in duct tape until the next oilchange. Very redneck, but beats a dead engine.

Knothead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger supercrew FX4, Lariat 501A and chrome package
That sucks about the Tacoma. I knew that could happen with the Fumoto. I looked into them a long time ago when I had a Dodge Dakota. Just seemed kinda risky. There are also ones like this one that don't look as vulnerable... Stahlbus Oil Drain Valve Plug

Reactions: R_B
OP
OP
Jake596

Jake596

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT/2013 F-150/1976 F250
Vehicle Showcase
so it was a valve with the pictured clip
1601934311201.png

and it failed ? was considering putting one on the Ranger - until now.
Yes, I was playing with it a month ago when it showed up to the house and it was on my list of gadgets to consider for the Ranger..... and maybe it was one in a million I dunno, but I do know he (we) are looking at around 3k for a used motor.... and we just wrapped up all of our summer truck projects.... it never ends, he just put in a new clutch 2 weeks ago.... :frown:

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
That sucks about the Tacoma. I knew that could happen with the Fumoto. I looked into them a long time ago when I had a Dodge Dakota. Just seemed kinda risky. There are also ones like this one that don't look as vulnerable... Stahlbus Oil Drain Valve Plug
Had similar concerns when looking for a valve for my truck. One of the reasons I went with the Valvomax valve. No loose parts to get knocked off. Similar to Stahibus valve.

HarryD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger 4X4 SuperCrew Magnetic Lariat Sport
For what its worth, I would never install anything that constricts the oil draining flow. The purpose for draining the oil when at operating temperature is to have the contaminants suspended in the oil. The drain port is sized to have a good flow to remove the suspended particulate matter along with the oil.

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I pay a guy to do my oil. Da hell do I care if he has to unscrew a plug? I'm not spending money to make his life easier.

And if these were that good of an idea, Ford would be putting them on all of their cars. Think about how cheap they would be if ordered in bulk-bulk. They could be had for $3 each at the Ford Level.

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
And if these were that good of an idea, Ford would be putting them on all of their cars. Think about how cheap they would be if ordered in bulk-bulk. They could be had for $3 each at the Ford Level.
You're talking about the auto manufacturer that's so interested in pinching pennies that they stopped including the pencil tray in the center console...

Obijack

First Name
J J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 iconic sliver
Occupation
Attorney
Sorry to hear man. Glad you were able to get the truck to safety.

Bproctor

First Name
Bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 2WD
Occupation
NC National Guard
Out of curiosity, was the valve above skid plates or just hanging in the open? I just put one on my truck since I am going to be doing the oil changes from here out, and am keeping a close eye on it, but if it's protected with a skid plate are there still chances of it accidentally getting knocked open?
Sponsored