First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Just a couple questions. Why are you asking about trailer sway in a fuel mileage adjustment thread? And why do you feel you need to turn trailer sway control off?
It was mentioned previously in this thread. I should have quoted it. It was just a question, sorry for posting in the wrong thread, or at all. :lipssealed:

OH....I also turned off the Trailer Sway. I have only been 100 miles since I did the change (2/20). Right now the truck says 19.6. Probably will be a while before I fill up again. Weather is trying to get better. Rode the bike to work this past weekend. It wasn't raining!!:clap:
Sponsored

Last edited:

JimboAnz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 - Sold
I recently made my first adjustment, averaged 3 tanks actual (fuelly) vs. truck screen mpg, ended up using .941 as my first adjustment. will give it several tanks before I consider the results. I reset my trip 2 every fill up, and my trip 1 every oil change.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I recently made my first adjustment, averaged 3 tanks actual (fuelly) vs. truck screen mpg, ended up using .941 as my first adjustment. will give it several tanks before I consider the results. I reset my trip 2 every fill up, and my trip 1 every oil change.
Mine was all over the place after I adjusted it. It would get closer to my Fuelly app by about .5 then the next fill up I'd be off by almost a full mpg. After about 5-6 tanks it seemed to steady out and now it's dead on.

JimboAnz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 - Sold
Mine was all over the place after I adjusted it. It would get closer to my Fuelly app by about .5 then the next fill up I'd be off by almost a full mpg. After about 5-6 tanks it seemed to steady out and now it's dead on.
Thx for the feedback, I will give it several before I consider an additional adjustment ?

drvred

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX2
Occupation
Trucker
I just adjusted my AFE to 942, mpg on trip odometer went down like it should.
I had to make a short trip afterwards, and the truck seemed to really lug and almost stumble.
I am tempted to go reset the AFE, but that shouldn't have made any difference.

Ideas?
Rick
2021 FX2

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
I just adjusted my AFE to 942, mpg on trip odometer went down like it should.
I had to make a short trip afterwards, and the truck seemed to really lug and almost stumble.
I am tempted to go reset the AFE, but that shouldn't have made any difference.

Ideas?
Rick
2021 FX2
Adjusting the AFE doesn't impact drive-ability at all - it's pure coincidence that it happened at the same time.

Dahctor

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I'm at about 2500 miles on my 2021 Ranger, and I've plotted the Calculated fuel economy vs the Trip 1 Odometer fuel economy at each fill up. I did a long trip this past week and my numbers are pretty stable.

What I've found is that the slope of the line is only off by about 2%, however the intercept is off by 2 miles/gallon. If I look at the AFE the number is 920.

Is there a way to change the intercept of that calculations rather than the slope? Plot is attached

1627915715717.png

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
I am finding if I fill up at different stations my discrepancy changes. So close is good enough. I still hand calc every time and keep records in a little notebook. Fuel mileage is highly variable depending how, where and when YOU drive.

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
I have not looked into this but just wondering if anyone with metric has done this?
Hand calc vs truck , so10.2 / 9.8=1.04, so 104 is the number I put in?

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
With my 2019 Ranger, I have been pretty close to even between the truck and hand calc. since I "recalibrated" on 2/20/20.

I just purchased a 2021 Honda Gold Wing (the avatar is my 2015 GW) and the bike and hand calc. have been dead on from the get go. That is different riding styles, weather condition, single or 2up... doesn't matter. I just wonder why Ford couldn't do that with their vehicles?

evoaire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9.5” Redwing
Tire size should make a difference. The way I understand it, is the truck pc is calculating mpg based on tire rotation. X rotations equals x miles traveled. So if you change tire size, and wish to manually calculate fuel usage, you’ll have to know the mileage traveled, and not relay on the odometer.

Would stated mileage on our GPS, or map apps on our phone be accurate enough to make the calculations? I don’t know. But using odometer with non factory wheel and tire seams wrong.

evoaire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
9.5” Redwing
And to the Gold Wing rider, if Ford produces a truck with multiple wheel and tire set ups from factory this would affect PC calc. The question is why didn’t ford program each truck for the different tires available.

And keep this in mind, with all the variables in play, are we to trust a billion dollar company, or some fly by night guy with a calculator, and eye glasses with last years prescription lenses?

Grooge

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Escape
I wanted to bump the
So, one of the guys on my Fusion Sport forum just brought this to my attention that the mpg calculator can be adjusted. Take your manual calculated mpg and divide by the computer calculation. Example 21 mpg manual cal divided by computer cal 22.3 = 0.9417. You can round up to 0.942. Multiply by 1000 gives you 942. Plug that number into step #7.

#1 Hold the left steering wheel center ok button down.
#2 turn accessory power on (do not start).
#3 you'll see ET appear (top of left screen, don't have standard gauges so I don't know how or where that will appear).
#4 hit ok.
#5 Engineering screen will appear.
#6 hit arrow up to the AFE screen and follow screen to adjust.
#7 once set to desired numbers turn off ignition.
It may take 1 or 2 tanks to fully adjust to the change. That should get you closer to real mileage.

My Fusion at 26,000 miles was consistently around 1.3 mpg high on the computer. I'll monitor both once I drive and fill and compare manual to computer from now on.

I wanted to bump this great post from RCMUSTANG for everyone who may not be aware that the on board computer may need adjustment. In my case it needed to be adjusted down, but some my need to be adjusted in the opposite direction.

I know many are watching your MPG more than ever. This was a great post when I first got my truck a year ago.

Good Luck

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
What is the Fuelly App is there a separate thread for this? Thanks in advance :like:
Alex, you can download it from your phone and also use their website. What's nice is you just input all your info. like the gals and price and it calculates it for you. It also saves it and gives you your average mpg. You can also save your maintenance receipts by scanning them into the app.

https://www.fuelly.com
Sponsored