Fuel Calculator Adjustment

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
After 26 tankfuls, I finally adjusted my computer to 938, which is the average of 1.2mpg difference over the 26 tanks. We will see how close I am.
OH....I also turned off the Trailer Sway. I have only been 100 miles since I did the change (2/20). Right now the truck says 19.6. Probably will be a while before I fill up again. Weather is trying to get better. Rode the bike to work this past weekend. It wasn't raining!!:clap:
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Resurrecting this thread as I finally got around to doing this today. I'm off around 1.2 - 1.4 mpg by hand calc to dash read out so by using the math in the OP I started with 944. We're leaving for Utah on Sunday so it will give me a good opportunity to fine tune it after filling up 2-3 times.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Resurrecting this thread as I finally got around to doing this today. I'm off around 1.2 - 1.4 mpg by hand calc to dash read out so by using the math in the OP I started with 944. We're leaving for Utah on Sunday so it will give me a good opportunity to fine tune it after filling up 2-3 times.
I set mine to 948 back in May and over 26 different fuel calcs/tanks, I average out to being dead on now.

2020-10-05 15_09_53-Microsoft Excel - FuelLogbook.xlsx.png

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
I did mine back in Feb. and I average pretty much dead on over the time frame. It varies fillup to fillup as your post shows @Gizmokid2005

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I did mine back in Feb. and I average pretty much dead on over the time frame. It varies fillup to fillup as your post shows @Gizmokid2005
Mine will do that now. I'll usually average 1.2 mpg off then the next one will be 2.1 mpg off. I figured 944 would be a good starting point. I'll be driving more than usual as I don't drive a lot when I'm here because everything is so close by.

BTW...How was your trip?

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Mine will do that now. I'll usually average 1.2 mpg off then the next one will be 2.1 mpg off. I figured 944 would be a good starting point. I'll be driving more than usual as I don't drive a lot when I'm here because everything is so close by.

BTW...How was your trip?
Had a BLAST!! Pulled the bikes to Mathiston, MS and then rode the bottom half of the Natchez Trace (~220miles). Had the girls follow us with the trailers. Stayed in Natchez, MS and rode to Duck Commander in West Monroe, LA and back (there is a long hilarious back story in that one). Then traveled to Texarkana, AR and rode to the Red River Museum in Idabel, OK. Finally made our way to Eureka Springs, AR for the weekend and done alot of riding around there and into MO. Beat feet to our friends house (Newnan, GA) that was traveling with us (12hrs) to get home.

We were in Eureka Springs for the 16th Mid West Meet & Greet. An annual weekend event that allows us to see old friends and meet new ones. While we were there, a couple of problems arose that a trailer was needed. Us and our friends were the only ones that had trailers so we loaded up the bikes and the girls took them home. One trip was all the way to Topeka, KS and the other was only about 2 hrs away.

The wife and I decided that if our journey is more than an day ride away (350-500 miles) that we would trailer the bike, because you never know what will happen and who will need one.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
After 4 fill ups I'm now almost perfect to what the truck reads and hand calculations. Truck reads 24.5 and my fuelly app was 24.3, that's close enough for me. ?

FloggingBishop

First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Operator
The difference is so negligible it shouldn't even bear mentioning. Remember these tanks are underground. Overnight to daytime won't make a change. It's days to weeks of average temperature that would be a bigger factor in temperature. It would also have to be a pretty large change in temp to affect it to the point you'd be able to measure.
Temperature does matter for a few reasons and based on where you are. Most pumps are compensated to a standard temperature regardless of season (15 degrees C where I am). Vapour pressure is also different depending on temp. Usually won’t make a massive difference but it could. March and October (again where I am) are the weirdest times as the vapour pressure is changed in the base products in those periods... but you are essentially correct, it may be a few litres difference if that. If you had a 150+L tank you’d noticed.

OP
OP
RCMUSTANG

RCMUSTANG

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Fusion 1995 Ranger
Temperature does matter for a few reasons and based on where you are. Most pumps are compensated to a standard temperature regardless of season (15 degrees C where I am). Vapour pressure is also different depending on temp. Usually won’t make a massive difference but it could. March and October (again where I am) are the weirdest times as the vapour pressure is changed in the base products in those periods... but you are essentially correct, it may be a few litres difference if that. If you had a 150+L tank you’d noticed.
You're talking about over longer period time. I'm talking about from a day to day basis. So, if you try that in a day summer and a day winter it won't make a difference.

FloggingBishop

First Name
Tyler W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Operator
You're talking about over longer period time. I'm talking about from a day to day basis. So, if you try that in a day summer and a day winter it won't make a difference.
Very true. Unless you travel between different climate zones as defined by whoever defines them where you are, probably wouldn’t matter. The calculations effect the stations more then anyone, one season the go through more gross fuel then the other and depending on economy of said season...

In short you are 100% correct, and to be fair I am used to dealing with fuel quantities in the thousands of cubic metres (megs or m3), where I can see daily differences of 100 or more cubes in a tank daily. I have even seen changes during early morning in winter then by noon when the suns on the tank. For me when we physically gauge a tank to verify against the radar or servo height reading the tolerance for temperature difference is tighter then for actual height.

I was not trying to say you were wrong so I apologize, I think my intent was to add some data to your point. And you are correct, in ground tanks will stay more stable temperature. I do have a few stations with above ground tanks, which can be different, but in our application here, no different. We are talking a few cents to maybe a real dollar.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
Trailer sway. I turned mine off, more than once, and every time I look at it, it's back on. Is that something I need to set with forscan?

dokkerdam

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX SuperCab
Occupation
flight instructor
tire size would make a difference because the computer needs some kind of mileage input. before you do any changes however you should go up on one of the turnpikes with mileage markers and determine what your actual distance is versus what your calculator says.

jim dipstick

dokkerdam

First Name
jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX SuperCab
Occupation
flight instructor
i appreciate that engineering change info. my mileage is about one less than the computer. i have every fill up recorded so i can get that coefficient number for the 7500 miles on the truck (and before you say it - no i simply don't have anything better to do).

funny, in this short thread several responses all have similar coefficients (and in other mileage threads people echo my 1.0 mpg difference which at about 20 something miles per gallon is close to that same coefficient. i wonder why ford didn't program their computer for that more realistic number right from the get go.

jim dipstick

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Trailer sway. I turned mine off, more than once, and every time I look at it, it's back on. Is that something I need to set with forscan?
Just a couple questions. Why are you asking about trailer sway in a fuel mileage adjustment thread? And why do you feel you need to turn trailer sway control off?

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Just a couple questions. Why are you asking about trailer sway in a fuel mileage adjustment thread? And why do you feel you need to turn trailer sway control off?
Almost *certainly* from the threads/ideas around the F-150 forums and also have been seen here that turning it off improves fuel mileage because the truck is "always braking" to counteract movement even without a trailer. It has thus been unproven, but still one of those myths that exists.
Sponsored