Front License plate rules???

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Hey,
Wondering what people with new bumpers, winches, light bars, and brush guards are doing with their front license plates. Looking to add the svc bar and light bar from Baja designs and think it might cover the plate partially. Been searching around and was wondering how folks here have dealt with such. Colorado has a two plate rule but have noticed some trucks in the state who don’t have one on the front. Cheers

DMAX.
Sponsored

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
I doubt that you would ever actually get cited for that unless you were pulled over for something else, I see so many vehicles with license plates covers (unlawful in CO) missing plates, tires that stick out way beyond the fenders , bald tires, illegal lighting and I could go on and on. I'm thankful we don't have a safety inspection here but the enforcement is super lax and law enforcement doesn't want to pull someone over for a non moving violation and risk getting gunned down - I wouldn't.

OP
OP
Dmax

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I doubt that you would ever actually get cited for that unless you were pulled over for something else, I see so many vehicles with license plates covers (unlawful in CO) missing plates, tires that stick out way beyond the fenders , bald tires, illegal lighting and I could go on and on. I'm thankful we don't have a safety inspection here but the enforcement is super lax and law enforcement doesn't want to pull someone over for a non moving violation and risk getting gunned down - I wouldn't.
Thank you for the response. Really don’t want to move the ACC or license plate bracket for such. I might shave down the plate and get it working under the bar a little

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Hey,
Wondering what people with new bumpers, winches, light bars, and brush guards are doing with their front license plates. Looking to add the svc bar and light bar from Baja designs and think it might cover the plate partially. Been searching around and was wondering how folks here have dealt with such. Colorado has a two plate rule but have noticed some trucks in the state who don’t have one on the front. Cheers

DMAX.
Wisconsin has a two plate rule, also but will usually not bother you unless they stop you for something more serious. Then it is just a 5 day repair ticket to get it fixed. My bracket broke and I removed it so it wouldn't damage the paint on the bumper. I kept the plate and will deal with it if I ever get stopped. Like the cleaner look without the plate. ? Easier to ask plead for forgiveness than ask permission. ?

OP
OP
Dmax

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Wisconsin has a two plate rule, also but will usually not bother you unless they stop you for something more serious. Then it is just a 5 day repair ticket to get it fixed. My bracket broke and I removed it so it wouldn't damage the paint on the bumper. I kept the plate and will deal with it if I ever get stopped. Like the cleaner look without the plate. ? Easier to ask plead for forgiveness than ask permission. ?
Awesome to hear. Looking for all the feedback I can get .

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Hey,

DMAX.
It's the WILD WEST!

Seriously though I'd plan on figuring out a way to display the front plate. You could fabricate a front plate bracket that attaches in the winch cable opening. I'm surprised somebody isn't already making one? There's a buck to be made here. :cool:

FWIW: Colorado requires 2 plates for newer vehicles, but for older vehicles it's based on the year of manufacture. For instance on my '27 RPU and '31 Sedan they only had rear plates, so that's all I have to run. I printed out the actual printed verbiage of the law and carry it in the old Ford's... 'cause the typical LEO probably doesn't know about the year of manufacture part of the law.

100_1470.jpg

OP
OP
Dmax

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It's the WILD WEST!

Seriously though I'd plan on figuring out a way to display the front plate. You fabricate a front plate bracket that attaches in the winch cable opening. I'm surprised somebody isn't already making one.

FWIW: Colorado requires 2 plates for newer vehicles, but for older vehicles it's based on the year of manufacture. For instance on my '27 RPU, they only had rear plates, so that's all I have to run. I printed out the actual printed verbiage of the law and carry it in the old Ford... 'cause the typical LEO probably doesn't know about the year of manufacture part of the law.

The simple thing to do would be move down bracket, but then it covers my ACC sensors. I don't want to do that. If that was my plan I would have done such and put the lights down there..

100_1470.jpg

OP
OP
Dmax

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Here’s the look but problem

33A7473B-F0D6-4350-8FBF-09ED324EF00E.png

EE85C477-0211-4158-8557-B08A31BCBE7C.png

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I'd bend the plate and attach it here...

33A7473B-F0D6-4350-8FBF-09ED324EF00E.png

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
That would be ideal, other than it would likely get broken off when I went off road
I took my plate bracket off when I was installing my grill and toyed with the idea of lowering it by flipping the bracket upside down.

Do you have ACC? If not, it looks like you can flip the plate mounting bracket upside down but this requires drilling holes in the tabs that don’t fasten by bolts and (yikes) in the horizontal portion of the bumper skin they rest on, then you can use trim push pins (like the ones holding your fender trim or fan shroud in place) to hold the tabs in place.

If you take a look at how the bracket would mount upside down, this will all make sense.

Whatever you do, good luck!

OP
OP
Dmax

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I took my plate bracket off when I was installing my grill and toyed with the idea of lowering it by flipping the bracket upside down.

Do you have ACC? If not, it looks like you can flip the plate mounting bracket upside down but this requires drilling holes in the tabs that don’t fasten by bolts and (yikes) in the horizontal portion of the bumper skin they rest on, then you can use trim push pins (like the ones holding your fender trim or fan shroud in place) to hold the tabs in place.

If you take a look at how the bracket mounts upside down, this will all make sense.

Whatever you do, good luck!
Thanks for response, yeah I got the Lariat with ACC.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for response, yeah I got the Lariat with ACC.
My suggestion won’t work - well, it would but you’d have to relocate the ACC module. Any way you can fab a bracket to attach to the bull bar portion of that setup so the plate is only covering the part of the bumper skin between those two sensors?

BTW - it’s a nice addition to the front end.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dmax

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
My suggestion won’t work - any way you can fab a bracket to attach to the bull bar portion of that setup so the plate is only covering the part of the bumper skin between those two sensors?

BTW - it’s a nice addition to the front end.
Should look good. I’m going to find a way to likely cut the plate down some so the wasted space is cut off. Then drill some new holes into existing bracket and try and mount. Again, great place for ideas but hoping maybe someone with a lariat figured it out.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Should look good. I’m going to find a way to likely cut the plate down some so the wasted space is cut off. Then drill some new holes into existing bracket and try and mount. Again, great place for ideas but hoping maybe someone with a lariat figured it out.
There are threads on here for relocating the ACC unit - if you go that route, it will give you a few more options. Best of luck.
Sponsored