First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2002 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Traffic Signal Technician
I've had several days to drive around now since replacing my stock shocks with the Fox 2.0's and certainly feel a stiffer rear end. This might sound crazy and I know this hasn't actually happened because it's not possible but it's what I'm feeling...
The truck "feels" like it shifts harder now. I do have an Unleashed tune that did significantly make the shift points crisper and the improvements are much more noticeable when in S mode and this is where I'm getting the "feeling" of harder shifting. I know I'm going to get criticized for mentioning this but maybe others have experienced the same feeling?
Thanks,
Marc
Sponsored

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
I've had several days to drive around now since replacing my stock shocks with the Fox 2.0's and certainly feel a stiffer rear end. This might sound crazy and I know this hasn't actually happened because it's not possible but it's what I'm feeling...
The truck "feels" like it shifts harder now. I do have an Unleashed tune that did significantly make the shift points crisper and the improvements are much more noticeable when in S mode and this is where I'm getting the "feeling" of harder shifting. I know I'm going to get criticized for mentioning this but maybe others have experienced the same feeling?
Thanks,
Marc
Hey Marc,

Did you change driving habits at all on your drives especially the longer one? When I had my BOV installed, the tranny learned pretty quickly to do a weird gear change when I hit half throttle because it was used to me lettting off the throttle to hear the BOV then picking it back up. It would mimic this at half throttle with no letting go of the throttle “mimicking” the let of the throttle in gear changes though. I could also be speaking out my butt but that’s what I felt in that experience. Just saying in this long story it might of been your tranny learning a certain driving habit or even temperature changes causing things to be different. It has been hotter everywhere, maybe this is the case too?

Warm regards,
Brandon

RangerMarc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hey Marc,

Did you change driving habits at all on your drives especially the longer one? When I had my BOV installed, the tranny learned pretty quickly to do a weird gear change when I hit half throttle because it was used to me lettting off the throttle to hear the BOV then picking it back up. It would mimic this at half throttle with no letting go of the throttle “mimicking” the let of the throttle in gear changes though. I could also be speaking out my butt but that’s what I felt in that experience. Just saying in this long story it might of been your tranny learning a certain driving habit or even temperature changes causing things to be different. It has been hotter everywhere, maybe this is the case too?

Warm regards,
Brandon
Brandon,
No, no change in my driving habits. It was on a trip to get my haircut and I take the same route all the time and since my appointments are always 1st thing in the morning on a Sunday there is little to no traffic so I always have a few places that I can drop it in S mode and push it damn near WOT. It was when I was "getting on it" that I felt like it shifted harder. Like I had overinflated my tires. My typical commute back and forth to work is only 2 miles each way and through several intersections so it doesn't allow me to get on it like I typically like to. My commute is short and boring. No temp. change here July in Florida is always hot and HUMID..!!
Thanks,
Marc

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Brandon,
No, no change in my driving habits. It was on a trip to get my haircut and I take the same route all the time and since my appointments are always 1st thing in the morning on a Sunday there is little to no traffic so I always have a few places that I can drop it in S mode and push it damn near WOT. It was when I was "getting on it" that I felt like it shifted harder. Like I had overinflated my tires. My typical commute back and forth to work is only 2 miles each way and through several intersections so it doesn't allow me to get on it like I typically like to. My commute is short and boring. No temp. change here July in Florida is always hot and HUMID..!!
Thanks,
Marc
Hmm. Not sure what it may be Marc. Could just be a one off thing. Or is it happening consistently now? Sometimes mine acts like that if I don’t let the CHT heat up to 195+ before dropping it into S. Haha Florida heat, I can imagine.

Warm regards,
Brandon

RangerMarc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Hmm. Not sure what it may be Marc. Could just be a one off thing. Or is it happening consistently now? Sometimes mine acts like that if I don’t let the CHT heat up to 195+ before dropping it into S. Haha Florida heat, I can imagine.

Warm regards,
Brandon
My suspicions are that the Fox 2.0 shocks being stiffer and less bouncy are causing me to feel what is going on with the rear of the truck more and therefore making me feel the shifts more than with the stock shocks. All the haters go ahead and tell me I'm crazy. As I posted in another thread perception is reality..!!
Thanks again,
Marc

OP
OP
dondonbabyraptor

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
My suspicions are that the Fox 2.0 shocks being stiffer and less bouncy are causing me to feel what is going on with the rear of the truck more and therefore making me feel the shifts more than with the stock shocks. All the haters go ahead and tell me I'm crazy. As I posted in another thread perception is reality..!!
Thanks again,
Marc
That is a good guess. Possibly could be it. You could be the princess and the pea of truck vibration softening. ?

They did say they chose the stock shocks for the Ranger for the most comfort. Perhaps that is a minor effect of the shocks in terms of shifting. I don’t know much about cars like a vehicle engineer would, and I’m sure most who call you crazy also know only as far as their own perspective/experience and google. But perhaps someone with more technical knowledge will have an answer for you.

Warm regards,
Brandon
Sponsored