Found scratch this morning - how to fix?

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
So will say that I wasn’t happy about this and am not sure of the best way to fix it. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Apologies on the 90 degree counterclockwise rotation.

?hash=310828cb40798068b7b2787e834f7cf9.jpg

4A829D67-D0D6-4649-92F2-350F9B7F0A80.jpeg
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
That looks deep. Only DIY I know of would be touch up paint.

Ohh, and no matter how tempted you are NEVER lick your finger and run it along dirty paint.

OP
OP
mlarma

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
go 4x4 driving.
get more scratches.
stop worrying
Don’t have four wheel drive. Do have FX2 so at least have diff locker. however, I am familiar with doing a full send. The year was 1992 and I went off roading with my 1986 Hyundai. Didn’t get stuck but knew not to stop. I was a dumb kid lol

OP
OP
mlarma

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
That looks deep. Only DIY I know of would be touch up paint.

Ohh, and no matter how tempted you are NEVER lick your finger and run it along dirty paint.
Didn’t lick finger. Wanted to make sure it was a scratch. I’ll look into touch up paint and probably get someone to do it that won’t screw it up (ie has experience). I am an electronics guy so I’m gonna stay in my lane when it comes to paint repair :like:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
Didn’t lick finger. Wanted to make sure it was a scratch. I’ll look into touch up paint and probably get someone to do it that won’t screw it up (ie has experience). I am an electronics guy so I’m gonna stay in my lane when it comes to paint repair :like:
Totally get that.

I consider myself a Renaissance man. I like to know a little about everything. But in the end I wind up knowing JUST enough to be dangerous.

A good shop may be able to buff it out, but doubtful with modern paints.

OP
OP
mlarma

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
Totally get that.

I consider myself a Renaissance man. I like to know a little about everything. But in the end I wind up knowing JUST enough to be dangerous.

A good shop may be able to buff it out, but doubtful with modern paints.
That’s me as well. My impatience can definitely get the best of me at times too and I know this will require exactly that.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
It does look pretty deep from the picture but a good body shop might be able to get it out or at least looking a lot better. Wet sanding with several different grits and then buffing can work wonders on scratches.

bfastr

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
So will say that I wasn’t happy about this and am not sure of the best way to fix it. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated! Apologies on the 90 degree counterclockwise rotation.

go here https://www.automotivetouchup.com and order a small bottle of paint in your color.
If you take your time and use a toothpick and not a brush you will probably amaze yourself at how easy it is to fill in. Sure , YOU will still see it, but anyone else from 10 feet away wont notice.
and with time even you will forget about being there!!

I have already used their paint to fill a few rock chips. seems the new formula factory paint is soft stuff. I dont personally like bug/hood deflectors but I am starting to understand their function and necessity.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.

Time to trade it in !!!:crackup:

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Milkman
I have to ask. Why should you never lick your finger and run it along dirty paint?
The finger lick I assumed.

But you should never touch dirty paint at all. Let alone rub said dirt accross the finish. Would you wrap fine grit sandpaper around you finger and run it down your paint?

I'm a little OCD about it, myself. I can hear the paint scratching when I push the fuel door to open and the truck is dirty.

OP
OP
mlarma

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
go here https://www.automotivetouchup.com and order a small bottle of paint in your color.
If you take your time and use a toothpick and not a brush you will probably amaze yourself at how easy it is to fill in. Sure , YOU will still see it, but anyone else from 10 feet away wont notice.
and with time even you will forget about being there!!

I have already used their paint to fill a few rock chips. seems the new formula factory paint is soft stuff. I dont personally like bug/hood deflectors but I am starting to understand their function and necessity.
Yeah I read enough early on that the aeroskin ii was purchased early in the game along with the bushwhacker rocker panel protectors.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I have to ask. Why should you never lick your finger and run it along dirty paint?
But is it OK to run your finger along the scratch if you don't lick your finger ???

OP
OP
mlarma

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
Time to trade it in !!!:crackup:
Not for this. Now I did hit a skunk several years ago and after 2-3 weeks of trying to get the smell out I cleaned it to look like new and used a deep air freshener where you close the doors and set AC on recirculate and set it off like a Raid bug bomb. Was good enough to trade it but skunks are the worst.
Sponsored