Ford Ranger Automatic (radar assisted - it works) Braking System saves the day!

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase

A female driver, without looking, shot across the highway, in front
of my Ford Ranger. I slammed on the brakes but the automictic braking system also
took over and applied the proper amount of braking assist. My vehicle was just
several feet from her vehicle when stopped. Ford should rename their ABS to
FPS - female protection system. :)
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee

A female driver, without looking, shot across the highway, in front
of my Ford Ranger. I slammed on the brakes but the automictic braking system also
took over and applied the proper amount of braking assist. My vehicle was just
several feet from her vehicle when stopped. Ford should rename their ABS to
FPS - female protection system. :)
Glad it worked like it was supposed to for you. This is my first vehicle with all these safety features and extra "assists" on it and I'm glad I have it. I always bought lower models to stay away from these "nanny" features but in todays world I think they're almost needed. I doesn't matter how good a driver and aware you are because so many are reckless and distracted today, especially here!

BTW, you might want to consider re-naming your new system. ;):bandit:

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Funny you mentioned this! I was on the highway tooling along a 70 mph center lane and this woman decided she was leaving the left lane to pass. She cut me off and was only 4 feet off my front bumper. My instrument cluster lit up like a Christmas tree! Brakes precharged and started breaking. 4 way flashers came on automatically. It happened so fast by the time I reacted, a second at most the truck had already taken over in milliseconds. Close call and she keeps on driving on like nothing happened. That truck air horn I installed got her to jump in her seat though! ?

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I was almost forced off a bridge once by a similar instance in college. Driving along in the right lane, crossing over a 4 lane bridge, about a 100ft drop down to the icy water below. This jacked up bro-dozer Silverado in the left lane next to me decided to merge into the right lane where I was. I slammed on the brakes and was forced up onto the guard rail. Luckily it was winter, so the guard rail was piled with snow which made it higher and softer. The truck just kept on driving like nothing had happened, never even noticed I was ever there.

The lack of spatial awareness by drivers is ever prevalent these days. Another reason I'll always get the best safety features I can in a vehicle.
A semi did that to me within about a month of getting my license back in high school. So glad I managed to avoid crashing into something. Within a week of that incident, a police car passing me on the freeway kicked up a 4x8 sheet of something lightweight right at my windshield level. Kinda terrifying to duck your head below the dash at interstate speeds because you think something is about to crash through your windshield and decapitate you.

I didn't drive for awhile after those incidents.

This Ranger is my first vehicle with such advanced monitoring features and I'm glad to have them. I've noticed the pre-collision warning system can be a little bit too aggressive at times, but like OP's situation, I'm glad it's there because it can do more things more rapidly than my own reaction time permits.

I really like that rear cross-traffic alert, though. Especially in parking lots where the vehicles to your sides block your view.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
Glad to hear it worked. You guys think riding in a car is dangerous. Go get on a motorcycle.
Motorcycles educate the senses, call into action the will, perfects the physical constitution, brings men into such swift and close collision in critical moments that man measures man.
My apologizes to Ralph Waldo Emerson

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Glad to hear it worked. You guys think riding in a car is dangerous. Go get on a motorcycle.
Yes, I rode motorcycles for 35 years. Too many cage drivers are too busy texting to pay attention to riders. It took all the fun out of it for me.

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Its saved me once.
There was a dump truck on my drivers side( I was about to his door) and we were going through a green light. Someone on a bicycle was shooting across the road, the big truck never flinched. Next thing I know the Everest is locking down before I could hit the pedal. Everyone was honking at him, he was a lucky guy. Talk about blind side.
Sponsored