Crash avoidance / automatic braking - has anyone tried it?

GTHAYS

First Name
Glynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL STX
Occupation
23 Years in Prison on the 8 hour installment plan. (Retired, intact)
Got to experience them yesterday too when the car in front of me slowed up (read: slammed on brakes) quicker than the rest of the traffic. Brakes didn't completely apply before I got to them, but the warning light flashed and I could tell the brakes were definitely 'pre-loaded'.

Anybody notice the radio go quiet when this happens?
Yep. Similar situation with an idiot. Scared the crap out of me at first.
Similar experience when I got Tex home. I was in the dark garage and started it and the red lights flashed....I nearly pee'd myself.
Sponsored

Truman52

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT
Occupation
Ops manager
So will anti collision avoidance really automatically brake your car if something runs out in front of you if you’re about to run into the back of a car? I’ve had the alert and warning come on a few times but obviously not game to test it fully.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
So will anti collision avoidance really automatically brake your car if something runs out in front of you if you’re about to run into the back of a car? I’ve had the alert and warning come on a few times but obviously not game to test it fully.
Troy I merged this with an older thread so you can read the past experiences.

Ive had the warning on the dash flash but have never had it brake yet.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Tests on all the various manufacturers show that at 30 mph the system will stop your vehicle an average of 65%-70% of the time, prior to an impact. And, of course that is taking into consideration a proper following distance. If your tailgating, all bets are off.
As speed goes up the percentage will go down...it may slow the vehicle down, but at higher speeds will not stop your vehicle.

Last edited:

Ibanezbass671

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
IT Technician

I fouind this helpful. Never had to use it yet so far.....

Todd Chapin

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crewcab lariat fx4
Occupation
Chef
I can definitely confirm the emergency braking has engaged and potentially saved me being in a collision in heavy traffic. Allot of false alerts but it definitely will engage brakes.

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
It seems most are happy with the collision avoidance system. My experiences have been mixed.

One night a deer very nearly hit the truck. 2AM 40 mph on a two lane road. I am usually very aware of the deer in our area and drive defensively. But this fellow came out of nowhere at a full gallop from my left to the right. I didn't even see him crossing until he was just passing the passenger headlight. In an instant he was gone! No warning at all from the truck. If I had blinked I would have totally missed seeing him.

2nd instance, coming down a moderate hill with a small creek at the bottom, the road immediately goes up as the bridge pavement transitions to road. The change is steeper than normal, but not too excessive (for back road hill county). At the beginning of the ascent, someone had lost what lookd like a wire freezer or oven shelf. It was flat and I saw it shining up in the center of my lane. I took position to straddle it, and the red avoidance panel lit up my dash with a lot of noise - scared the bejesus out of me! After gathering myself I turned around and drove the road again - twice, and the thing would not go off the 2nd and third time over. Maybe it learns?!? This was my first experience with it.

To be fair, I didn't even know the thing was activated, and I have never set the sensitivity.

Since then it has gone off a few times that I considered unnecessary, but now that I am aware of it, it never surprises me any longer.

I may have to play with it a little bit to gain a better understanding of its functional capability. I do not have adaptive cruise control. Not sure if that affects anything.

- T

Last edited:

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
I have had mine go off a few times on windy roads when I am driving in a spirited manner. Have never had it apply brakes though. I can't imagine this working at all for a deer just suddenly popping out in front of you, but in a driving situation where a car in front stops suddenly, I can see it being helpful.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I was pulling into a spot at work and one of my douche bag coworkers stood in the way as if messing with me. I kept pulling in and was going to wait to the last second to slam on the brakes, well the Ranger decided it was time to hit them just before I did!

IdahoRanger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
RETIRED
I was pulling into a spot at work and one of my douche bag coworkers stood in the way as if messing with me. I kept pulling in and was going to wait to the last second to slam on the brakes, well the Ranger decided it was time to hit them just before I did!
Negative points for missing the douche bag.:lipssealed:

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
What about if a deer or elk runs in front of our trucks at speed???? My collision avoidance has gone off a few times in traffic. I was focusing on the road so wasn't concerned but glad it warned me of the obstacle.

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
What about if a deer or elk runs in front of our trucks at speed???? My collision avoidance has gone off a few times in traffic. I was focusing on the road so wasn't concerned but glad it warned me of the obstacle.
I had a deer run right in front of me, didn't set off the avoidance. Might have passed too quickly.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Lets say your doing 55 mph and a deer runs out in front of you....you will travel 80 feet in one second at 55 mph.
Lets say the system activates within 1/2 second to apply brakes...you have already traveled 40 feet in that 1/2 second, and then the braking system starts to slow you down. Your still going to travel more than the additional 40 feet before the truck stops.
Basically, if a deer, or anything runs, darts, drives in front of you within 100 feet, at 55 mph your gonna hit it.
Times and distances will be shorter as you initial speed drops, but even at 40 mph your still traveling at almost 60 feet per second, at 30 mph its 44 feet per second.

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
Thanks Steve. I kinda figured that I would hit the deer no matter what speed I was traveling. A friend hit a deer with his Toyota Camry. Totaled the Camry. Someone on here hit one a while back I think. :frown:

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks Steve. I kinda figured that I would hit the deer no matter what speed I was traveling. A friend hit a deer with his Toyota Camry. Totaled the Camry. Someone on here hit one a while back I think. :frown:
Yeah, the adds you see on tv showing vehicles coming to a stop from higher speeds are vehicles approaching a stationary object, so the system has plenty of time to detect the object and start the braking system.
Something like a deer, child, car, bicyclist, suddenly darting in front of you is a whole different set of circumstances.
Yes, the systems work but the best offence is still a good defense...... defensive driving (that's my old cop talking)
Sponsored