Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
This is a bit windy, but bear with me.

I bought my 2019 Ranger XLT on May 22, 2020. A decent trade in allowance, and a discount for the 2019 model year, sealed the deal from me.

About a week later, I found one of Ford’s marketed exhaust systems, as made by Borla, and got it installed. I also ordered the M-9603-REB Performance Calibration, and a Roush intake system (yet to arrive) from Mike at Levittown Ford Parts. Due to the virus issues, there have been delays, but I got the calibration yesterday. Incidentally, if you’re planning to buy one of these kits, I’d get it on order as the delays are several weeks at present.

I did get Ford’s Performance Team involved, and I must say I was very pleased with their response. A few things I learned in the process is why I’m passing the information along.

First, you must use a Windows PC, as a Mac and others won’t play with Ford’s download site. Perhaps they’ll fix this in the future. The “kit” shall we say, does come with a K&N filter, so strictly speaking, the Roush system isn’t a requirement. But one thing sticks out! The instructions for installing the calibration, and the air filter, have to be followed to the “T”. One obvious reason, is the length of time needed to up and down load the stock and performance calibrations. Do it incorrectly, and you start all over, or worst, mess up the stock calibration with predictable results!

As the instructions explain, the calibration requires time to learn your driving style. Although the stock calibration does too, there are more things “fuzzy” in the Performance Calibration. This begs the question, what did you (me!) notice right away?

The shifts feel a lot different. If you’ve had your Ranger for a few months, and the new shifts seem odd, just drive it 50 miles or so to load up the fuzzy parts of the programming. Nonetheless, under full power, the shifts are somewhat faster, and recovery after the shift isn’t noticeable, period! It just keeps on truckin’ if you’ll excuse the pun.

I can’t say what all Ford’s Performance group has done with the various calibrations, but so far, with my acknowledged short-time experience, I’m impressed! You do hear more intake noise partly due to the K&N, but the sound is a lot meatier, shall we say. I should add, that the exhaust note changed to the better, I believe.

One last comment. If you like to spin wheels, hear the rubber squeal, and really feel full-power shifts, this kit is a must-have!
Sponsored

jubreunig

First Name
Juergen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Thx for the feedback. With which octane do you run your tune?

OP
OP
Apples

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
Thx for the feedback. With which octane do you run your tune?
The calibration requires premium fuel (minimum 91 octane). It will operate with regular (87 octane), but you'll end up in an almost limp home mode.

I should add that I'll be adding to this soon. I have about 150 miles on the calibration, and it appears to be still learning.

jubreunig

First Name
Juergen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
The calibration requires premium fuel (minimum 91 octane). It will operate with regular (87 octane), but you'll end up in an almost limp home mode.

I should add that I'll be adding to this soon. I have about 150 miles on the calibration, and it appears to be still learning.
That is what I would like to know.

Our engines has an knock sensor who change the spark timing when low octane recognized. The software should change the timing regarding to the octane, but the shift behavior should be still tuned.

OP
OP
Apples

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
The dealer fills the tanks on delivery, and use premium across their line. I can't say what the factory did, nor how much they put in. I do realize some folks think paying for premium is a waste of resources. However, most of Ford's literature openly state HP and torque using 87 and 91 octane fuel. And, we have to realize the standard compression is rather high, and with the calibration, the boost is up to 22 psi.

This is my 7th turbo'd vehicle, and I've used premium in all of them. The first, a Corvair Spider, stated on the gauge, premium only. I suppose that fact was stamped on my posterior as well!

I'm not ready to write a followup, but I will add this. I have about 75 miles on the calibration. The driving experience has improved, and in the same way Ford's Performance folks told me it would. It is a bit difficult to hear the wheel spin over the exhaust note, but you can sure see it and smell it!

glogsdon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger and 2008 BMW Z4
Occupation
Retired
Apples, I just purchased a 2020 Ranger. It has a significant turbo lag. Did your Ranger have a significant turbo lag when you purchased it? If yes, does it still have it after the Ford Perf. Calibration kit was installed?
Thanx

OP
OP
Apples

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
A little background. This is my 7th turbo'd vehicle. The previous turbo (the car I traded tin) was a 2017 Honda, EX-T, with sensing. It had some turbo lag, and didn't really power up until about 2,100 RPM. I put a RaceChip unit on it, and the lag lessened. In fact, it made the car much more drivable, as it had more boost at lower RPMs (≈1,500).

The "lag" in the Ranger is somewhat less noticeable, due to the 10 speed transmission. Meaning of course, the RPM stays higher under full power. At lower speeds, just driving it easy, you really don't notice the lag. At least I didn't due in part to the much higher torque the Ford 2.3L has over just about everything out there, save for the big GM 2.7L which is just a few foot pounds more.

Once the new Performance Calibration was installed, I did notice some turbo lag at first. But understand, the fuzzy logic is much more "learnable" than the stock setup. Now that I have over 100 miles in the calibration, I no longer notice the lag. I'm sure there is some there, but the difference in boost pressure hovers around 4 extra pounds! That extra boost is really noticeable. So in the exhaust note.

Fact is, the exhaust note is much more pronounced at full throttle than before the calibration update. This extra level somewhat masks the squeal from the tires. I don't advise it, but if you torque up the transmission to about 1,500 RPM, let off the brake and stab the gas, the result is white tire smoke, and a ton of well spin!

I think the most pronounced change is the speed with which the transmission shifts. The 1-2, 2-3, 3-4, and 4-5, are exceedingly quick. I don't do that often, as you're well over most city speed limits by the time it shifts into 5th. I should also mention, the 50 to 70 time is about half what it used to be.

I was going to get it on the dyno this afternoon, but that got cancelled due to an issue with the computer which drives the dyno. Maybe next week.

glogsdon1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger and 2008 BMW Z4
Occupation
Retired
My turbo lag is from a dead stop.
Thanks for your response.

OP
OP
Apples

Apples

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
There are three ways to all but eliminate turbo lag. One if to use a nitrous puffer. This does reduce turbo lag, but doesn't remove all of it. And you have to be very careful about proper programming!

Or, you can do what Audi does, and drive the compressor wheel with an electric motor. This adds a lot of expense, and the number of repetitive times you can do this, depends on the battery.

Or you can use dual or twin scrolls, or perhaps variable nozzle geometry. Ford uses twins scrolls, and GM uses dual scrolls. Explanations fo both are on-line.

The bottom line is, if you want minimal lag, you use a vane-type compressor like the Mustang V8 uses.

Incidentally, as far as I know, only the Ford Performance package is fully warranted (3 years, 30,000 mile). And, you can replace it with stock programming if you wish.
Sponsored