Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

From my retiree news letter. Former CEO Hackett moves on leaving this turd for poor Jim Farley to handle...
Sponsored

Attachments

painter1

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ZX2, F350
Hi Folks,

From my retiree news letter. Former CEO Hackett moves on leaving this turd for poor Jim Farley to handle...
Don't know much about the industry. But would say that generally the sales weren't too bad considering the pandemic effect. Staying solvent the next couple/few months is going to be a challenge for many companies. I'm pretty confident in Ford. It's the regular folks I'm concerned about.

apotocki

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Network Force Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Thanks for sharing this Phil.
I have to wonder how the numbers (-%) compare to the other manufacturers. Certainly it is and continues to be a tough time with Covid. Have to believe everyone is in a similar standing.
On another note - Ever since Ford made the decision to ditch ‘regular’ auto’s I’ve been of the opinion it’s a big mistake and will have negative consequences over the next few years. I think that decision is going to lead to much streamlining and re-organizing which will in turn lead to many other changes along with a smaller workforce in order to maintain positive profit margins. Just my opinion.

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Don't know much about the industry. But would say that generally the sales weren't too bad considering the pandemic effect. Staying solvent the next couple/few months is going to be a challenge for many companies. I'm pretty confident in Ford. It's the regular folks I'm concerned about.
Hi Ali,

I believe Ford is cash rich and will be able to weather the storm for a while and continue to thrive on the launch of the new 2021 F Series, including a hybrid version. I am also a fan of Jim Farley where I was not Hackett as Farley is a "Car guy" and understands the automotive business better that an office furniture maker did. That said, it will be another cyclic down turn compounded by Covid 19. I was part of three economic disasters for Ford when we did not think the company would make it. Strong leadership pulled us through and I hope Farley will continue this trend.

As for the little guy, regular folks, I share your concern. We are doing our part to support the small businesses with our $, We have tipped our favorite servers with substantial tips to help brighten their Christmas. I just hope others will do so too.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

painter1

First Name
Ali
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford ZX2, F350
Hi Ali,

I believe Ford is cash rich and will be able to weather the storm for a while and continue to thrive on the launch of the new 2021 F Series, including a hybrid version. I am also a fan of Jim Farley where I was not Hackett as Farley is a "Car guy" and understands the automotive business better that an office furniture maker did. That said, it will be another cyclic down turn compounded by Covid 19. I was part of three economic disasters for Ford when we did not think the company would make it. Strong leadership pulled us through and I hope Farley will continue this trend.

As for the little guy, regular folks, I share your concern. We are doing our part to support the small businesses with our $, We have tipped our favorite servers with substantial tips to help brighten their Christmas. I just hope others will do so too.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Right on, Phil. I like your style.

I've also read a few positive things about the "new guy". Good luck to him and his staff.

And I know what you mean about ups and downs. In my industry, my first hit was the '82 recession, the last hit, a few years back when the co. I was part of finally closed. I sure hope that doesn't happen to Ford employees ...

It will be interesting to see what changes transpire with the once, much vaunted globalization. I hope this pandemic has shown how big our own domestic markets can be and that spurs more domestic producers. And of course more domestic and local buying.

Ford is a big multinational but with the Can-US autop act I can at least buy some home made product. That's my excuse anyway for that future 7.3L ? (built in Oshawa).

The Donald

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Engineer
Hi Ali,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I couldn't agree more Phil being an automotive engineer, I worked all over Detroit thru the years and then somehow ended up across the state working at the office furniture giant. He had no business running a car company after I saw how SC was run.

Now I am laid off from office furniture giant, not much use for that stuff with everybody working from home. ?

Looks like I may be headed back to Detroit for work, do you have any contacts hiring a senior level mechanical design engineer?

Thanks,
Don

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
On another note - Ever since Ford made the decision to ditch ‘regular’ auto’s I’ve been of the opinion it’s a big mistake and will have negative consequences over the next few years. I think that decision is going to lead to much streamlining and re-organizing which will in turn lead to many other changes along with a smaller workforce in order to maintain positive profit margins. Just my opinion.
I thought pretty much the same thing. Just seems short-sighted to ditch making cars IMO.
I remember the gas crunch of the 70's and the big 3 were caught off guard because they didn't have much for economy cars. Allowed the Japanese car makers to get a strong foothold in the North American market. I can't help but think Ford is setting themselves up to get caught off guard again.

Ericrcif

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariant FX4
Occupation
Retired
When I bought my Ranger a few months ago I did so from the same dealership and salesman I've bought many vehicles from. I asked him if times have been tough with Covid and he said they have been crazy busy. Go figure, thought it would be a great time to get a deal. :)

Shadowdraxx

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Bum
I’d say Ford are in a better position to weather the storm and once vaccines are distributed and confidence returns have killer models. Mach-e Bronco, new F150 all look good for 2022 sales and should refill the coffers imo.

Europe is a different story tho.

peterson1604

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Body shop manager
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Extremely interesting. No doubt Covid-19 restriction and a tooling change moving away from cars to trucks and SUV's didn't help. To make things worse I see the Bronco release is delayed and now there's a class action suit for the 1.5 and 2.0 liter Ecoboost engines having a leak issue or something along those lines. I'm hopeful the new leadership turns the page because I do believe Ford has a lot going for it but keeps misfiring for some reason.

Thanks for sharing.

Scott

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
now there's a class action suit for the 1.5 and 2.0 liter Ecoboost engines having a leak issue or something along those lines
class action suits mostly indicate that there are still lawyers trying to make money. some of them are worthwhile, some of them aren't, but there will always be some.

ChopprJock

First Name
Lyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat, FX4, Sport, Tow Packages
Occupation
Aero Engineer / Ops Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
/s LOL "downturn" .... I work for Boeing, so..... ;D
Sponsored