First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Jeep Wrangler
Occupation
Old used up LEO
For 2021 Ford stops the Saber and Lightning Blue colors on the Ranger . In my opinion the best they offered . When I ordered my 2019 it was the only colors that I considered getting . Who are these decision makers ?
True. I wanted Sabre, but it was discontinued by the time I ordered. So, I went with the obvious 2nd choice, Lightning Blue. :)

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Dave on my monitor that looks like Grabber blue ? not sure
The post it came from said Velocity Blue and it's from the internet so it must be right. ?

Last edited:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX SuperCab 4X4, '09 Mariner
Occupation
Vagabond
Wife's mustang is Grabber Blue and I thought the same thing.
If you do a Google search for Grabber Blue, Lightning Blue, and/or Velocity Blue
>Images, you get as many different shades as there are results. Also, it is impossible to render any color accurately to all viewers because of the difference in color pickers, screens, Internet connecton, on and on.
Suffice it is to say that generally Velocity Blue is a tad lighter and slightly less rich than Lightning Blue and both are 'thinner' looking than the non-metallic Grabber Blue. The best way to see the colors in the flesh is on a Ford or used car lot.

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
I'll be ordering a 2021 Ranger in March and I'm going to inquire about getting a special order Kona Blue (Mustang), Area 51 (Bronco) or Burgundy Velvet (Navigator). If they com back and say, "well that'll run $6000 more and a 13 month delay, then RPO Cactus grey or maybe Carbonized Grey- that one I would need to see in person.

I'm on a fixed (broken?!) income now, so this one will be a keeper-a quarter million miler. If I'm still around at that time I'll probably get a fully autonomous, carbon-14 nano diamond battery powered electric.
In Kona Blue, dammit!

Last edited:

Motorpsychology

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vagabond
I'll be ordering a 2021 Ranger Lariat Supercab (nothing but SuperCrew Lariats in my area) in March and I'm going to inquire about getting a special order Kona Blue (Mustang), Area 51 (Bronco) or Burgundy Velvet (Navigator). If they com back and say, "well that'll run $6000 more and a 13 month delay, then RPO Cactus grey or maybe Carbonized Grey- that one I would need to see in person.

Fixed income now, so this one will be a quarter million miler. If I am still around, the one after this will probably be a fully autonomous, carbon-14 nano diamond battery, electric.
In Kona Blue, dammit!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
If you do a Google search for Grabber Blue, Lightning Blue, and/or Velocity Blue
>Images, you get as many different shades as there are results. Also, it is impossible to render any color accurately to all viewers because of the difference in color pickers, screens, Internet connecton, on and on.
Suffice it is to say that generally Velocity Blue is a tad lighter and slightly less rich than Lightning Blue and both are 'thinner' looking than the non-metallic Grabber Blue. The best way to see the colors in the flesh is on a Ford or used car lot.
After going back and looking at pictures online the one I posted was Grabber Blue...damn internet was supposed to always be right! ?

The VB is very close to the LB but It's definitely a little lighter, looks to have less black in the paint. Now I thought I was close in narrowing my Bronco color down but will have to see the VB in person as I thought it was the lighter GB.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
good luck, i have never known anyone to special order a color from the factory outside of the palette they offer for that model year. its just not how it works on an assembly line.
you're only hope of that happening is sending it to maaco right off the dealers lot and paying retail price on a fresh paint job.
Actually I have, it was a Cadillac and he special ordered a color. It was back in the early 2000's and I can't remember what the cost was but it wasn't cheap. Money was no object for him as he owned a machine shop and wanted a specific color that was not standard. Just not sure this can be done toady but with enough money you can do just about anything.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

This talk of colors reminds me of one of the strangest things I experienced as a young engineer on the Training Program.... I was assigned to a 3 month stint at the Michigan Truck Plant (now assembling our 5G Rangers). At that time in 1973 MTP was assembling F-Series trucks. I was supporting the resident engineer from Light Truck. Greg R. Good guy! It turns out there was a batch special order of large scale... United States Park Service. I do not know the size of the order but it filled up the plant for several days of trucks of the special color of the Park Service....I mean a sea of the same color trucks everywhere. Being used to multi colors on the line and now this Kelly Green every where was really weird...at least to me... I know Henry's you can choose any color you like as long as it is black.... But that was way before mi time.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Honestly, I think within 10 years you will only see cars painted in three colors like white, black and a grey blue or red. And the dealership will offer vehicle wrapping if you want another color.
Hi Folks,

This talk of colors reminds me of one of the strangest things I experienced as a young engineer on the Training Program.... I was assigned to a 3 month stint at the Michigan Truck Plant (now assembling our 5G Rangers). At that time in 1973 MTP was assembling F-Series trucks. I was supporting the resident engineer from Light Truck. Greg R. Good guy! It turns out there was a batch special order of large scale... United States Park Service. I do not know the size of the order but it filled up the plant for several days of trucks of the special color of the Park Service....I mean a sea of the same color trucks everywhere. Being used to multi colors on the line and now this Kelly Green every where was really weird...at least to me... I know Henry's you can choose any color you like as long as it is black.... But that was way before mi time.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil - I was trying to message you to see if you knew of someone that worked in that plant as an engineer at that time too. It won't let me. Are you able to message me?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, I think within 10 years you will only see cars painted in three colors like white, black and a grey blue or red. And the dealership will offer vehicle wrapping if you want another color.

Phil - I was trying to message you to see if you knew of someone that worked in that plant as an engineer at that time too. It won't let me. Are you able to message me?
Hi Greg,

I had to turn off messaging as my inbox was getting clogged with emails from folks wanting immediate response, just in case I missed a post. I will see if I can pm you....I do know that the moderators can message me.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

This talk of colors reminds me of one of the strangest things I experienced as a young engineer on the Training Program.... I was assigned to a 3 month stint at the Michigan Truck Plant (now assembling our 5G Rangers). At that time in 1973 MTP was assembling F-Series trucks. I was supporting the resident engineer from Light Truck. Greg R. Good guy! It turns out there was a batch special order of large scale... United States Park Service. I do not know the size of the order but it filled up the plant for several days of trucks of the special color of the Park Service....I mean a sea of the same color trucks everywhere. Being used to multi colors on the line and now this Kelly Green every where was really weird...at least to me... I know Henry's you can choose any color you like as long as it is black.... But that was way before my time.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired

rltriumph

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Pipefitter
good luck, i have never known anyone to special order a color from the factory outside of the palette they offer for that model year. its just not how it works on an assembly line.
you're only hope of that happening is sending it to maaco right off the dealers lot and paying retail price on a fresh paint job.
Ford does special paint runs for fleet customers. Have worked for several companies that have their own paint code for f-150,250,350 and medium duty trucks they order from Ford. You can do the same but I bet minimum order is probably several hundred trucks a year. Worked for one shop that ordered their trucks without A/C from the factory regardless of trim level.

gfitzge2

First Name
Gregg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus RS, 2019 Ranger, 2021 Mustang Mach 1
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I started at Ky. Truck Plant when it was Truck Operations and almost all trucks were special order. We had multiple colors and even many shades of white, something like 15 different shades. So many Fleet buyers had their own special paint colors and Ford was willing to accommodate them. Con-Way Freight was orange and white and Ford built thousands of them. But later when we started building Super Duty trucks we fell more into the standard colors. Only occasionally could someone buy enough fleet orders to get their own special color. The one that stands out the most to me was during Operation Desert Storm when we built so many Desert Tan trucks for the military. Great pride in the plant seeing those going down the line.:flag:
Sponsored