For those that have cut out crash bars...

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Magnetic; 1998 Ford Ranger XLT 5-Speed Emerald
Vehicle Showcase
Remove the crash bars, spend the remaining years of your life in a wheelchair or worse.

You can just as easily end up in a wheelchair with your crash bars intact so great argument sailor.
Sponsored

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
A lot of bro science going on here on both sides of the argument so let me add to the noise,

IF the crash bars are so crucial then WHY did Ford make them removeable?
They're clearly not expected to be removed--you have to take the truck apart to do it. The question is really, why did they attach them with screws instead of welds or glue or tape and bubble gum? Answer: who knows, we have no insight into the development and test process. Possible answers could include things like "it's cheaper for the same result", "welding makes it perform worse", "this is the first method tried, it worked, and there was no reason to change it", or maybe even "so it's easier to remove"--but there's no evidence that any one of those answers the right one.

I also don't get what "argument" you think there is. The bars are there to prevent tire intrusion into the passenger compartment in the event of a crash. If you take the bars off, you're making it more likely that a tire will intrude into the passenger compartment in the event of a crash. I don't see how there's any disagreement about that. Some people are saying that they don't care about tire intrusion into the passenger compartment, but that's just a value judgment.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have wondered if the new much stronger front bumper compensates for the lack of crash bars.
I didn't know that after 40 years of progress on making cars safer by making them collapse in accidents there were still people arguing that good ol' american steel is just as good as all that new-fangled crash modeling and survivability engineering. There are reasons so many people died in old cars built as steel strongboxes, and why trucks have long been much less safe than passenger cars. (Though trucks are getting safer...assuming people don't rip out the safety improvements.)

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
A lot of bro science going on here on both sides of the argument so let me add to the noise,

I was surprised to see lifted heavily modified (new aftermarket suspension, large tires, crash bars removed, etc) new Rangers on the showroom floor at dealers.

Last edited:

Rowdy Ranger

First Name
Howard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lighting Blue Ranger
Occupation
Certified Welder
For those of you who remove them, fine by me. It's your truck you can do to it as you see fit underneath that shade tree in the backyard with that cooler full of Miller beer, Saying screw those Ford engineers them guys don't know sheeet. Lol!!!!!!

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
Adient...they bought Johnson Controls. Guess they make about a third of the car seats used.
Interesting. Thought the two of them parted ways a few years back. Guessing they took over what used to be some of JCI plants?

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab

The airbags and seatbelts are removable also champ.

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
Could they be an afterthought on a truck that was not originally designed to meet NHTSA crash test standards?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could they be an afterthought on a truck that was not originally designed to meet NHTSA crash test standards?
Maybe, but only the tacoma and ridgeline do as well in IIHS testing for the category--the colorado and the frontier are both worse. No small pickups do great. The f150 and the ram perform well in the full size category and, Interestingly, the tundra is terrible.

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
They're clearly not expected to be removed--you have to take the truck apart to do it. The question is really, why did they attach them with screws instead of welds or glue or tape and bubble gum? Answer: who knows, we have no insight into the development and test process. Possible answers could include things like "it's cheaper for the same result", "welding makes it perform worse", "this is the first method tried, it worked, and there was no reason to change it", or maybe even "so it's easier to remove"--but there's no evidence that any one of those answers the right one.

I also don't get what "argument" you think there is. The bars are there to prevent tire intrusion into the passenger compartment in the event of a crash. If you take the bars off, you're making it more likely that a tire will intrude into the passenger compartment in the event of a crash. I don't see how there's any disagreement about that. Some people are saying that they don't care about tire intrusion into the passenger compartment, but that's just a value judgment.

Wake up Mike!! That's what Ford wants you to think!

1619122119020.png

StezenW

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil