First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Hey there...

So we just took our first official road trip in the Ranger, and on multiple occasions, the EZpass didn't work. Has anyone else had that problem going through the windshield? We called them and they were saying it was because our license wasn't registered to that tag - but I've never had my licenses registered (it's my wife's EZPass since she normally uses it) and never had an issue before... So I don't know if it's just unlucky timing that they now care about the plate, or if the Ranger has a thicker windshield / more things there that might confuse the reader, and so I don't know what the next step should be in order to get it to work properly (register my truck against her EZPass / getting a specific one for the Ranger).

Thanks for the help.
Sponsored

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I've had EZPass for many years and license plates are registered to an EZPass unit. I've never had any issues with windshields on many vehicles including the Ranger.
Maybe the battery is dead. If it is, your license plate would match with your account and you would still get the toll deducted.

Last edited:

JoeG

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab Lightning Blue
My EZPass is mounted above the rear view mirror on the passenger side of my 2019 Ranger. It works fine. Back in Oct, I bought a new EZPass for the new Ranger. Each EZPass has to be linked to at least one license plate. You can also add a second license plate for another vehicle if you want to.

OP
OP

khyros

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Crewcab FX4
Vehicle Showcase
I've had EZPass for many years and license plates are registered to an EZPass unit. I've never had any issues with windshields on many vehicles including the Ranger.
Maybe the battery is dead. If it is, your license plate would match with your account and you would still get the toll deducted.
Good thought there... The unit is like 10 years old.

Thanks everyone though for confirming that it's not an issue with the Ranger windshield but rather an issue on my side of things.

Tiewunon

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2018 Lincoln MKX, 2017 F-150 King R
Occupation
Retired
I have both EZPass and Sunpass. Both require device to be registered to a plate. No issues with either of them hanging on windshield.
Sunpass does recognize if the plate and vehicle type and color does not match the vehicle type and color registered to your Sunpass. Got sent pictures of my 2017 King Ranch rolling down the turnpike near Miami when the device was listed on a 2013 Blue F150 XLT. Also was sent a pic of the Ranger this Nov rolling thru that same area of the turnpike when the device was linked to a 2016 Tundra aka “The Big Gulp”. Both instance Fl gave you the option of paying a fine (figure those odds) or go online and make a correction to your account I chose the later.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
Hey there...

So we just took our first official road trip in the Ranger, and on multiple occasions, the EZpass didn't work. Has anyone else had that problem going through the windshield? We called them and they were saying it was because our license wasn't registered to that tag - but I've never had my licenses registered (it's my wife's EZPass since she normally uses it) and never had an issue before... So I don't know if it's just unlucky timing that they now care about the plate, or if the Ranger has a thicker windshield / more things there that might confuse the reader, and so I don't know what the next step should be in order to get it to work properly (register my truck against her EZPass / getting a specific one for the Ranger).

Thanks for the help.
I have an EZPass on my Ranger and have had NO problems.

ScubaSteve

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX, 2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU
Placement on the Ranger windshield was a little tricky because of the large amount of metallic tint where I would have normally placed the transponder. Ended up mounting a little off center as seen below and it works great.

Another option would be an external tag. I have a plate mounted tag on my Wrangler because I wanted something a little harder to snag when the top is down.

20200106_202252.jpg

pa-fatboy

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2016 Mustang GT Premium, 1966 Mustang Convertible C Code, 2019 Ford Fusion, 2005 Ford Focus ST
Vehicle Showcase
Mine works just fine. I installed mine on the passenger side of the rear view mirror all the way up in the black dot area as high as I could go with it and still be sticking to glass.

No problems at all. My license plate is registered to a transponder for my household of 5 with the dmv.

Lone

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Hot Pepper
. . . The unit is like 10 years old . . .
Bingo! The EZ people can check your battery at their service desk. I believe it was last year that we got a letter saying it was time for all our passes to die. Took them in and exchanged them for the new style units (slightly smaller). No problems to report in any of our vehicles.

jkurigado

First Name
Jin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
Sales Manager
I had the same issue several times. Recently decided to upload Uproad and it helps a lot. You can easily upload it on your smartphone. I use toll roads quite often so this one makes my trips much much easier.
Sponsored