Everything I do, I do with a hint of failure :(

onobeka

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford ranger 2.2 European model
If it helps, when I added my add-a-leaf, I've mounted my helper springs upside down on one side. Fortunately I could fix it in about 1.5h, but it's so frustrating.
Although I take good care, sometimes I mount my MTB tyres in the opposite rolling direction!

Chill, it happens, the problem is not the skills, it's the mind being tired from the everything else.
Sponsored

TBR17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger Tremor, '13 Vette Z16, '62 VW Beetle
Sometimes when a part does not install right or go back in place the way it should I hit it with my first.

I'm pretty much 50/50 that it finally bends to my will or I damage something.

I'm also sure my neighbors probably think I am a domestic violence abuser. They can't see me working, but they probably here all the rumblings like, "F*** you use you useless cunt!" and "Why do you do this to me you are a piece of s***?"
Almost pissed my pants reading this............ :LOL:

sootie007

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 LT 4 x 4
Occupation
Electronics
Vehicle Showcase
I have been doing the car and truck mod thing for at least 39 yrs .....its always something.....if things go too smooth on a mod somethings usually wrong lol.....I would say 60% of my mods go as planned - zero issues ... the other 40% usually result in a pita situation, a cracked this or that - another late night trip to the parts store , blood spilled and or expletives hurled. Its all part of the game ...my favorite is what I call the "two hour bolt" - I have found every vehicle has one and when you finally find it you will cuss the engineers , designers and the manufacturer to hell over it lol......the older I get the old adage seems truer "if it aint broke dont fix it " ...but like you Im not there yet - MOD ON lol.....

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT / 1984 Monte Carlo SS
We are all in the same boat. With my older car, everything that should take half an hour turns in to a day long adventure, take something off and a bolt will break and 2 trips to the auto-parts store later, you've finished when the sun goes down.

I installed my tonneau cover Tuesday. Video online shows them doing it in 16 minutes. Took me 4 hours all said and done with a plastic clip breaking on it. It's still fun to do it myself, but I can never plan for it to go as quick as I want.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
We are all in the same boat. With my older car, everything that should take half an hour turns in to a day long adventure, take something off and a bolt will break and 2 trips to the auto-parts store later, you've finished when the sun goes down.

I installed my tonneau cover Tuesday. Video online shows them doing it in 16 minutes. Took me 4 hours all said and done with a plastic clip breaking on it. It's still fun to do it myself, but I can never plan for it to go as quick as I want.
Hi Trevor,

There are only two kinds of plastic....Broken and About to be Broken.... :)

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
This reminds me of the first AR I built. Watching the video and putting the spring and detent for the front pivot pin they made to look soooo easy. Just use your finger nail or a razor blaze to hold the detent while you slide the pin through. Yeah that didn't work as I launched two sets of springs and detents into the kitchen. After spending about an hour on my hands and knees I finally found one of each then got online and ordered one of these. Now it's a 10 second job and never lost another set since.

I also remember one of my first brand new cars and I was changing the oil in it. Simple right as I've done this hundreds of times but noooo the damn oil filter was screwed on so tight from the factory it ripped in half. :facepalm: Now I'm under there with pliers pealing the rest of the filter apart like a banana and using a hammer and screwdriver to spin the filter off! A 20 minute job turned into a bloody knuckle hour plus swear fest. Now it's just easier and better for my blood pressure to just let the dealer do them.?

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
I always fix my motorcycles, tear 'em down & rebuild. If something special,
I bring the part to the shop. I hate electricity so I don't do it. I'm good at
pretty much everything. Not great, just good.
As for cars, forget it, breaking bolts or a stud, all the rust, just YUK!
I will do simple stuff like oil, belt, brakes, radiator but only if these are " simple".
Not to mention some specialty tools you only need once.
Also like others said, sometimes I will attempt a task but I allow 2 to 7 days.
I make sure I don't need that vehicle for the next week, cuz, shit happens.
Just know your limitations. Nothing wrong learning y our limitations, it's
an amazing feeling when you are successful.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
This reminds me of the first AR I built. Watching the video and putting the spring and detent for the front pivot pin they made to look soooo easy. Just use your finger nail or a razor blaze to hold the detent while you slide the pin through. Yeah that didn't work as I launched two sets of springs and detents into the kitchen. After spending about an hour on my hands and knees I finally found one of each then got online and ordered one of these. Now it's a 10 second job and never lost another set since.

I also remember one of my first brand new cars and I was changing the oil in it. Simple right as I've done this hundreds of times but noooo the damn oil filter was screwed on so tight from the factory it ripped in half. :facepalm: Now I'm under there with pliers pealing the rest of the filter apart like a banana and using a hammer and screwdriver to spin the filter off! A 20 minute job turned into a bloody knuckle hour plus swear fest. Now it's just easier and better for my blood pressure to just let the dealer do them.?
Always wear safety glasses when building an AR.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

I've torn down and built up so many ARs in the past...good training for small parts...modifying MINI Coopers...good for training squeezing hands into impossible tight spaces and working by feel...working on the Ranger is for old guys who's had enough of working on MINI Coopers?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Always wear safety glasses when building an AR.
I always do. I even have a pair of safety glasses which are magnified to the dioptor of readers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KSJQC8W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've torn down and built up so many ARs in the past...good training for small parts...modifying MINI Coopers...good for training squeezing hands into impossible tight spaces and working by feel...working on the Ranger is for old guys who's had enough of working on MINI Coopers?
I can pretty much do an AR in my sleep now. lol It was just the first time doing one and those damn springs/detents took off like a rocket! ? Never had a Mini Coop but I've wrenched on enough cars, trucks, snowmobiles and motorcycles to where I now know my limitations and frustration level. That's why when I came to doing my level kit it was well worth the $196.00 I paid the shop to do it.?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
I always do. I even have a pair of safety glasses which are magnified to the dioptor of readers.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KSJQC8W/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I can pretty much do an AR in my sleep now. lol It was just the first time doing one and those damn springs/detents took off like a rocket! ? Never had a Mini Coop but I've wrenched on enough cars, trucks, snowmobiles and motorcycles to where I now know my limitations and frustration level. That's why when I came to doing my level kit it was well worth the $196.00 I paid the shop to do it.?
$196 for level kit install?!?! Did you miss a zero there buddy??

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
$196 for level kit install?!?! Did you miss a zero there buddy??
That was probably the install price. It's 2 hours max if you don't break anything off (for the fronts).

My coilovers arrive tomorrow, I'll make another one of my famous howto videos.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
I love this thread for all the truth that it covers. I am a retired Mechanic with more than 50 years of experience. I can't tell you how many times the easiest jobs can turn in to the most frustrating, curse inducing, headaches ever imagined. I have learned that when I get to blinded to how to get the job done, I have to step back and take a break to refocus. I have been known to sling cuss words and tools across the shop when things go south, so to speak. Just today while trying to reassemble a wooden table project, things turned to shit. I Guess things will always be FUN no matter how long I work on them. As we always said: If it ain't broke, don't fix it, Ha Ha.
Sponsored