YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have an idea for keeping the truck all clean when you wake up? I don’t have it in garage currently, and was wondering if you all use a duster each morning.. a micro towel.. nothing? Lol… I like to keep her pretty and try every morning to wipe her down with a microfiber towel and keep it going through out the day lol ?

Any suggestions?
I put a solid effort once a year with a clay bar, compound, polish, and a ceramic coat, but otherwise I wash once every 1-2 weeks. I try not to fuss with normal wear and tear between washes or else I'd go insane.

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
I put a solid effort once a year with a clay bar, compound, polish, and a ceramic coat, but otherwise I wash once every 1-2 weeks. I try not to fuss with normal wear and tear between washes or else I'd go insane.
what does the bar of clay actually do ? and is it a pita to do ?

YaBoiNewton

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT supercrew Sport FX4, 2008 Bullitt w Saleen Supercharger
Occupation
Automotive Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
It is used to remove particles or contaminants that are embedded in the paint before polishing. Next time you wash a car, run your hand over the clean paint and feel how rough if can be - this is the embedded dirt and other stuff that you can't remove by washing. A clay bar will gently remove these particles, leaving the paint feeling very smooth. Helps get off bugs and stuff too without being to rough on the paint. Without the clay bar step, a polishing pad would break these particles loose and grind them into the paint, affecting the quality of the finish. Polishing takes a ton of time and effort, so the clay bar helps ensure all those hours aren't wasted.

Paint correction in general is a pain in the ass, but I had the entire truck clayed in about 1-2 hours. Only the forward and skyward facing surfaces actually needed it. Compound and polishing is the real PITA and took 4-5 hours.

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
[QUOTE="TheRoushRanger046, post: 424085, member: I like to keep her pretty and try every morning to wipe her down with a microfiber towel and keep it going through out the day lol ?
Any suggestions?
[/QUOTE]
Please never wipe down your vehicle dry with any sort of towel. Your finish will soon develop microscratches and worse. My brother did this on a regular basis to his new Explorer ("It's fine") and after a couple years the finish was dull as dishwater. We were able to buff out most of the damage but it could have been avoided.

OP
OP
TheRoushRanger046

TheRoushRanger046

First Name
Mack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Roush Ranger
[QUOTE="TheRoushRanger046, post: 424085, member: I like to keep her pretty and try every morning to wipe her down with a microfiber towel and keep it going through out the day lol ?
Any suggestions?
Please never wipe down your vehicle dry with any sort of towel. Your finish will soon develop microscratches and worse. My brother did this on a regular basis to his new Explorer ("It's fine") and after a couple years the finish was dull as dishwater. We were able to buff out most of the damage but it could have been avoided.
[/QUOTE]
Did not know this. Amazing. Thank you.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone have an idea for keeping the truck all clean when you wake up? I don’t have it in garage currently, and was wondering if you all use a duster each morning.. a micro towel.. nothing? Lol… I like to keep her pretty and try every morning to wipe her down with a microfiber towel and keep it going through out the day lol ?

Any suggestions?
I take my truck to the car wash once a year, whether it needs it or not...

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
It is used to remove particles or contaminants that are embedded in the paint before polishing. Next time you wash a car, run your hand over the clean paint and feel how rough if can be - this is the embedded dirt and other stuff that you can't remove by washing. A clay bar will gently remove these particles, leaving the paint feeling very smooth. Helps get off bugs and stuff too without being to rough on the paint. Without the clay bar step, a polishing pad would break these particles loose and grind them into the paint, affecting the quality of the finish. Polishing takes a ton of time and effort, so the clay bar helps ensure all those hours aren't wasted.

Paint correction in general is a pain in the ass, but I had the entire truck clayed in about 1-2 hours. Only the forward and skyward facing surfaces actually needed it. Compound and polishing is the real PITA and took 4-5 hours.
This is correct but just to add to this when the truck is soapy put your hand in a plastic sandwich baggie and run it over each panel. This way you'll feel the grit in the paint better and it'll slide over the surface easier than just your bare hand.

Also if you use a clay mitt you'll cover a lot more surface than a small bar can. Plus if you drop the mitt on the ground you can just rinse it off and go back to work. With a clay bar it's trash and you need another one. I went into more details here if you're bored and want to read more.