Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

We are still in the Set of Ready, Set, Go. So grab the bags, Tito and Margie and we go if given the word. Fire has moved North and East of us and is now the worst fire in the USA. Weather has given us a break from the 50 mph winds and the tankers are flying in support of ground efforts but the fire remains 0% contained as of 6/15 am. It is now a Type 1 fire and has the Top US Forest service management.

We are in Doney Park-South and Doney Park North was in Go Status (Evacuate), but has been down rated to Set again which is good news...So here we sit and go about our day...air quality is not too good today though...Confining Margie to the coach with her asthma. Think we will try Fat Olive's for an Italian dinner tonight as a get out and about. RV Park is seeing cancellations due to the fire so it is a financial disaster to them...Margie and I tried to prop them up a bit by paying ahead next year in full for which they were grateful...

Anyway, we are in cooler temps which was our objective....

Best,
Phil
Sponsored

NotBudule

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
XLT
Tito Schilke Amazing World Renowned Tortoise? ? ? TSA WRT ?

On a side note , I maybe saved a small box turtle a few hours ago , he was trying to evacuate across a fairly busy road up here , released him out back where I've seen others ... ?

Last edited:

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
Wow, a little late to the story but glad you guys are okay. How long does it take to get Tito moving? Is it like trying to motivate a surly teenager, or worse, a high seniority UAW employee???

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Absolutely amazing what one brain dead idiot can do with a match
Talk about brain dead idiots, damage settlements announced this week from 2015. Conspiracy theories speculate that the EPA wanted to make this a superfund site - which has happened. Now the reason I posted this is there are idiots with a backhoe in the lot adjacent to mine, putting in a water line and meter. Was supposed to be a 4 hr job, but it's day 4 and they managed to cut a gas line, disrupt power and severed a com cable. They told me "nothing was where it was supposed to be" and obviously that applies to their gray matter as well.

As far as forest fires goes somewhat surprised there hasn't been more this year but it's still early. With the absence of thunderstorms , human activity is the primary cause, even things like a stray bullet from target shooters has caused fires.

What happened Gold King Mine spill?

ANd9GcQOQIcmfdk7tPcDCuJNC2qMy8mBUy3tGvHD_59YOXpy&s.jpg

Contractors accidentally destroyed the plug holding water trapped inside the mine, which caused an overflow of the pond, spilling three million US gallons (eleven thousand cubic metres) of mine waste water and tailings, including heavy metals such as cadmium and lead, and other toxic elements, such as arsenic, ...

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Talk about brain dead idiots, damage settlements announced this week from 2015. Conspiracy theories speculate that the EPA wanted to make this a superfund site - which has happened. Now the reason I posted this is there are idiots with a backhoe in the lot adjacent to mine, putting in a water line and meter. Was supposed to be a 4 hr job, but it's day 4 and they managed to cut a gas line, disrupt power and severed a com cable. They told me "nothing was where it was supposed to be" and obviously that applies to their gray matter as well.
As a former utility locator, everytime I would show up to a damage claim the offender would be saying exactly that. Call 811 folks, that's what locates are for.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
With the absence of thunderstorms , human activity is the primary cause, even things like a stray bullet from target shooters has caused fires.
We've had both of those here. About 8 years ago, target shooters using Tannerite on a red flag day (meaning EXTREMELY dangerous conditions) caused a fire of about 5500 acres. We also had a hid throw fireworks on a hot summer day that caused a fire of about 25000 acres. The huge fires here from 2020 were caused by a combination of Lightning and humans. The lightning ones had been kind of smoldering for about a month until the east winds whipped them up and they exploded.

Wildfires are nothing to mess around with. I don't think the FS has done a really good job of explaining WHY you need to make sure your fires are out COLD honestly.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
We've had both of those here. About 8 years ago, target shooters using Tannerite on a red flag day (meaning EXTREMELY dangerous conditions) caused a fire of about 5500 acres. We also had a hid throw fireworks on a hot summer day that caused a fire of about 25000 acres. The huge fires here from 2020 were caused by a combination of Lightning and humans. The lightning ones had been kind of smoldering for about a month until the east winds whipped them up and they exploded.

Wildfires are nothing to mess around with. I don't think the FS has done a really good job of explaining WHY you need to make sure your fires are out COLD honestly.
I kid you not.

My local gun range almost burnt down because their neighbors decided that playing with Tannerite in a dry pasture in July was a good idea.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I kid you not.

My local gun range almost burnt down because their neighbors decided that playing with Tannerite in a dry pasture in July was a good idea.
Yeah, you'd think that would be common sense, but common sense isn't quite as common as you'd think.

OP
OP
P. A. Schilke

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

We were down graded to Ready, which is understood to always being Ready in this area, so we were taken off the Evacuation map. Fire crews made great progress. Yesterday the fellow that started this fire with a bic lighter on soiled TP was in court and was remanded to custody as a flight risk. Back in court on Tuesday. So today we unloaded our packed goods and squared away the Coach and celebrated with other campers at the Friday pot luck in the center meeting area.

No smoke in the area and good air quality again. So likely dodged the bullet.

Best,
Phil

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Although the punishment for having an illegal fire aren't usually very large, but you can be held liable for the cost associated with a forest fire - which can be huge as in the cases referenced below. Supposedly nearly 90% of forest fires are caused by humans.

"For example, the United States is suing a California homeowner alleging that he improperly maintained an electrical junction box that allegedly caused the Mountain Fire in 2013 that scorched about 27,531, acres, including approximately 15,335 acres in the San Bernardino National Forest. The government is seeking in excess of $15 million in suppression costs, in excess of $9 million in damages to the natural resources and in excess of $300,000 in emergency rehabilitation costs.

Oregon billed two men $37 million for fire suppression costs with respect to the 2015 Stouts Creek Fire, alleging that they started the fire when their lawnmowers struck rocks, creating sparks that started fires that eventually burned more than 26,000 acres. The men were negligent per se because they were mowing their lawns in the afternoon when fire restrictions banned such activity."
Sponsored