First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
While @ESP Jimmy hasn't responded here I found the consensus among respected manufacturers and vendors is the powder coat isn't going to be an issue with heat transfer. It seems that the basic design more than compensates for that and in our daily drivers and powder coat should provide long term metal protection in contrast to the crimped aluminum/plastic stocker.

I'm enthusiastic about this upgrade for the same reason I spent twice as much on the upgraded stainless steel Magnaflow cat back exhaust. I don't expect to have to ever replace these components ever.

The ESP offer is an excellent deal.
Sponsored

MY23RANGER

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 XLT Ranger black edition 2wd
Occupation
Ford Tech
just received an email from ESP stating that there might be a possible issue with the intercooler cold side piping connection, double check before you install it.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
just received an email from ESP stating that there might be a possible issue with the intercooler cold side piping connection, double check before you install it.
Just got that too - possibly a 1mm error, unknown how many were made that way (all 15?)? Their solution was they would make and send a cold side pipe in a month or so if the one(s) we receive are 'defective' but it didn't say larger or smaller. I'm sure the throttle body side would be same as stock and wonder if the difference in diameter at the exit if the intercooler has much effect - I would hope larger rather than smaller but 1mm is like .04 inches. I replied to the email asking.

If it's not an agreeable solution they've offered a refund upon return.

I wonder what the stock diameter is/was?

EDIT: in another thread discussing this it seems the 'defective' units have 68mm ends while the factory is 67mm. With metal pipes the difference would be no bueno so if that's what it is I'll be waiting ☹. Here's a picture of the Mishimoto pipes from their site:
Screenshot_20230304-202851.png

Not that I did it but Mishi had a spot on their pipe that is flat so you could tap for a boost gauge or water injection. I'll email ESP to see if they'll do it too.

EDIT: after visiting the Boost Gauge thread I found there is an adapter that goes between the MAP sensor and the engine to provide a port for real boost gauges. Sounds more desirable to me than tapping the pipe.
Screenshot_20230305-003300~2.png

Screenshot_20230305-003422~2.png

Last edited:

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Ouch that means it would not he compatible with any other pipe except the one they can send you. Dont think it would be a big deal but just a thought. I wish I didn't just move. Stupid play money just went to a moving truck. ?

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Ouch that means it would not he compatible with any other pipe except the one they can send you. Dont think it would be a big deal but just a thought. I wish I didn't just move. Stupid play money just went to a moving truck. ?
Honestly if you miss out here and decide later you actually want to do this 'upgrade' it looks like CVF is going to have the best priced intercooler. I don't know if anyone else's is drastically superior. If you don't have a tune that can be updated by your vendor and the intercooler pipes I wouldn't get worked up over it. You've kept at least $1000 in your pocket if you had none.

For now ?

I did get a response from ESP and I'm going to wait to see how they resolve this. Two or three months will be beyond when I can get the money back from the credit card people but they are a premium sponsor here so I'm not concerned.

Last edited:

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Honestly if you miss out here and decide later you actually want to do this 'upgrade' it looks like CVF is going to have the best priced intercooler. I don't know if anyone else's is drastically superior. If you don't have a tune that can be updated by your vendor and the intercooler pipes I wouldn't get worked up over it. You've kept at least $1000 in your pocket.

For now ?

I did get a response from ESP and I'm going to wait to see how they resolve this. Two or three months will be beyond when I can get the money back from the credit card people but they are a premium sponsor here so I'm not concerned.
I probably will order one in the future. Looks like a decent price and would like to see the reviews on them. By the way, I am the definition of cheap. My tuner ran me $70 total ?. Last truck was tuned for $100 so its getting cheaper.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Mine arrived today unmolested but with the 'custom' 68mm cold side port. Guess I'm waiting for the 'custom' ESP cold side pipe.
IMG_20230306_170304084_HDR~2.jpg

IMG_20230306_170557755~2.jpg

IMG_20230306_170848496~2.jpg

MY23RANGER

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford Tech
just got mine today as well, I can't wait 2 months lol going to try and fab something up.

Last edited:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Who is still using the original IC pipes?

EDIT: it's starting to look like all the 'flash sale' units have the bigger outlet on the cast tank? Don't know how that might have come about and whether ESP should have/could have known but really - if we all are using higher flow charge pipes the 'solution' shouldn't deprive us of what we spent other money and work on, right? Too bad it doesn't look like there's enough material to lathe down the single mm diameter - not that I could do that.

Here's the OEM cold side:
IMG_20230308_100502416~2.jpg

Frankly if ESP's solution is something that mimics Mishimoto's - whether it has a threaded bung or not - will be fine. If they can flare a pipe on the IC end and use a decent sealing clamp I would be pretty happy in spite of the delay.

I think there are some really good manufacturers we all agree are good to do business with. Good products, good design and good service/support. What can set one apart are how they respond when initial expectations aren't met.

Last edited:

MY23RANGER

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford Tech
Got mine installed yesterday , cut the stock cold side hose at intercooler and slid it over the barbed section with a clamp for now , minor trimming needed on the plastic near lower end tanks mounting brackets

20230311_141342.jpg

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Got mine installed yesterday , cut the stock cold side hose at intercooler and slid it over the barbed section with a clamp for now , minor trimming needed on the plastic near lower end tanks mounting brackets

20230311_141342.jpg
I'm on the fence about re-installing the factory cold pipe and cutting it up like you did to get mine in. If I end up returning the intercooler it would be a major pain to remove. After the major pain to install.

If Jimmy doesn't keep us updated I may get cold feet and send it back - of course anyone who doesn't ESP will still need to make whole so this is going to be a tough call for them. Take the hits over the outcome or make good on a solution that meets expectations? Part of that will be the expense of engineering a one-off pipe for a dozen intercoolers (well they could just include one when they resell the returned IC) but stuck with the return freight cost.

That's why I emailed him suggesting he keep his customers in the loop as it were.

Last edited:

MY23RANGER

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford Tech
I did a before and after data log file on the ESP intercooler , I am currently seeing a drop in temps all across the board

2021Ranger

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
For those of you that ordered a intercooler from Jimmy have you received it? I placed an order on the 3rd and card was charged but I got nothing yet and sent Jimmy an email yesterday but no response yet.

MY23RANGER

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford Tech
I got mine

Last edited:

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
For those of you that ordered a intercooler from Jimmy have you received it? I placed an order on the 3rd and card was charged but I got nothing yet and sent Jimmy an email yesterday but no response yet.
You could call them 817-688-9827. Did you try both email addresses from the website? I got a confirmation email and tracking for mine.

EDIT to add: I've been looking for the spring retainer clamps in sizes to fit the 68mm cold side as I'm not too keen on cobbling together something less than the Mishimoto pipes. I suspect there will be intervals where I may want to flush the intercooler and I don't want to deal will worm gear clamps. Maybe there are manufacturers who have these on a shelf but I haven't found them.

Right now I'm a little uncertain about how attractive ESP's solution is going to be. I sure wish this vendor would share his thoughts. If it were me and I had the means it would look a little like the hard pipe on CVF's version - a larger flange on the IC connector:
Screenshot_20230318-095939.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited: