Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The Eibach bushing hole is slightly larger. So they must have used the stock bushing nd drilled out the center a tad to make it fit .....Just a rubber. bushing... Not a bearing. I'm glad he told me though. Most mechanics would not say a thing they just install it and not let you know.

and I was worried about the front. In fact, now that I think of it I believe they did use the stock bushing and drilled it out to make it fit tight. Eibach has not tried it on a two-wheel drive. Which is why I decided to take and roll the dice and get better shocks as well. I wish I knew I was going to do this before I spend all the money on a spacer. But you can't take it with you............................. Yes you will notice a smoother ride. They are definitely better than stock shocks. I let them keep the spacers , Stock shocks and the Eibach springs. Just looking at the Eibachs front springs I know that the ride would be a lot stiffer with that spring in there at 3 in....I dropped 1/4" in front over the spacers and have exactly 1-inch difference between the front and the rear with the rear being one inch higher measured from the center cap to the fender
Hi Tom,

I do not comment on mods for the most part and will not comment here on the mod. That said, I applaud your approach to this concern and to how the results of this were successful for you. Well done!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retierd

OP
OP
SubVet

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I’m a little confused.

The Eibach’s are advertised as adjustable 0-3”
Why not use their springs and adjust them less than 3”??

“Eibach Pro-Truck Sport Struts that have 0-3″ of ride height adjustatbility”

https://5startuning.com/product/201...trut-kit-0-3-of-leveling-eb-e80-35-048-01-22/
Actually, if you use the Eibach Springs you only get 3 inches of lift 0-3". They cannot be set at zero so I had them install the factory Springs over the Eibach shocks In order to control the Lift from 0 to 2.25 you have to use the factory Springs I didn't want three inches of lift so I installed the shocks using stock springs which would keep the ride fairly smooth. Certainly smoother than those huge Eibach springs that looked like it would make the ride much stiffer. I think I got a better ride because I'm using the stock Springs and the new shocks. The wallowing and bounce is gone.

OP
OP
SubVet

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Tom,

I do not comment on mods for the most part and will not comment here on the mod. That said, I applaud your approach to this concern and to how the results of this were successful for you. Well done!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retierd
Thanks Phil.... I have read your posts regarding mods and engineering. So I know where you stand. In my opinion, the best solution to level the truck is using shocks with the stock Springs. I just feel better about it overall than using the spacers. If I didn't have such a crappy install of the s.pacers as I wouldn't be doing this but I'm glad I did now as I made the truck better. So I got my level and a better ride. Not too shabby.

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Actually, if you use the Eibach Springs you only get 3 inches of lift 0-3". They cannot be set at zero so I had them install the factory Springs over the Eibach shocks In order to control the Lift from 0 to 2.25 you have to use the factory Springs I didn't want three inches of lift so I installed the shocks using stock springs which would keep the ride fairly smooth. Certainly smoother than those huge Eibach springs that looked like it would make the ride much stiffer. I think I got a better ride because I'm using the stock Springs and the new shocks. The wallowing and bounce is gone.
Thanks for doing this, taking the challenge.

Looking at Eibach’s web site it appears they are referring to the shocks in one area and struts in the other.
I thought the Strut itself had an adjustable collar where you could raise or lower.

OP
OP
SubVet

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for doing this, taking the challenge.

Looking at Eibach’s web site it appears they are referring to the shocks in one area and struts in the other.
I thought the Strut itself had an adjustable collar where you could raise or lower.
Yes it does. When you use the eibach Springs you get 3 inches of lift whether you want it or not. The same shock will go to 3.75 if you have a heavy bumper on the front or something like that otherwise it's 3 in
I didn't want three inches of lift. In order to go from 0 to 2.25 you have to use the stock Springs the Eibach springs are long which gives you 3 inches of lift and heavier and not adjustable.

When using the Springs you have to use the lower adjustment for the c-clip. In order to adjust your height you have to use stock Springs. If you want 3 inches of lift just use the springs that came with the Eibach kit

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
I’m a little confused.

The Eibach’s are advertised as adjustable 0-3”
Why not use their springs and adjust them less than 3”??

“Eibach Pro-Truck Sport Struts that have 0-3″ of ride height adjustatbility”

https://5startuning.com/product/201...trut-kit-0-3-of-leveling-eb-e80-35-048-01-22/

There are 5 grooves in the Eibach strut. Depending on which groove you put the snap ring in to mount the perch you will get 0”, 0.75”, 1.5”, 2.25” or 3” of lift using your factory spring. The higher you go, the stiffer the ride because it’s preloading your spring more with each increase. If you use the longer Eibach springs you can only use two of the grooves (bottom two I believe). Bottom one give 3” of lift and next one up gives you more but it is only to be used if you have a heavy bumper and/or heavy winch that will drop the truck back down. Hope that makes sense!

OP
OP
SubVet

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
There are 5 grooves in the Eibach strut. Depending on which groove you put the snap ring in to mount the perch you will get 0”, 0.75”, 1.5”, 2.25” or 3” of lift using your factory spring. The higher you go, the stiffer the ride because it’s preloading your spring more with each increase. If you use the longer Eibach springs you can only use two of the grooves (bottom two I believe). Bottom one give 3” of lift and next one up gives you more but it is only to be used if you have a heavy bumper and/or heavy winch that will drop the truck back down. Hope that makes sense!

That's exactly right. I went for 2.25. To go to three I just would have used the Eibach Springs and be done with it. But I didn't want three inches of lift. The ride would be too stiff

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
That's exactly right. I went for 2.25. To go to three I just would have used the Eibach Springs and be done with it. But I didn't want three inches of lift. The ride would be too stiff
I agree. I only want 2.25” to keep a bit of rake so I ordered just the two struts and two shocks... saved a bit of cash that way too!

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Yes, thanks to both of you.

@SubVet any chance you measured the length of the stock spring while out?

I’d be curious in the length between the 4wd and 2wd springs. Might be possible for the 2wd owners to use 4wd springs for a cheap lift....?
Considering there’s going to be some extra springs laying around in the future.:wink:

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
It's actually a 4wd part so the bushing probably fits 4wd's and not 2wd.
On my 4x4 non-fx4 the Eibach rear shocks bolted right on without modification. SubVet has 4x2 which might be different. A slightly smaller bolt might work too?

OP
OP
SubVet

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, thanks to both of you.

@SubVet any chance you measured the length of the stock spring while out?

I’d be curious in the length between the 4wd and 2wd springs. Might be possible for the 2wd owners to use 4wd springs for a cheap lift....?
Considering there’s going to be some extra springs laying around in the future.:wink:
I gave everything that came off the truck to the shop. The stock springs are definitely shorter but for some reason, that will give you the most adjustable lift. From 0-2.25

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The difference would have to be on the truck not the shocks. And I can't imagine why they would use a different bushing on the shock the two wheel drive. There's some excitement here about the bushing the Notorious bushing. When you look at the picture and you see that it's just a little piece of rubber between the shock and the frame A small rubber bushing to fit a larger Bolt is not hurting anything.

As I suggested above I think most shops would not tell you things like that They would just do them I don't think the guy would have come out of the office to say "who owns that white truck ?" "I need to tell you that we have to drill out your little notorious bushing to make it fit "oh my God okay forget it forget it I don't want it I'm out bye" LOL

Bushing..in red

aid9698869-v4-728px-Replace-Bushings-Step-3.jpg

I thought the Eibach rear shocks would have had the usual rubber bushing through the shock loop and then a metal sleeve inside that like most shocks. Maybe it was actually the metal sleeve that they just opened up slightly.

OP
OP
SubVet

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
On my 4x4 non-fx4 the Eibach rear shocks bolted right on without modification. SubVet has 4x2 which might be different. A slightly smaller bolt might work too?

They used the bolts that came with the kit. They were larger than what was on the truck so the bushing has to go between the shock and the frame. If the bushing is for a smaller bolt Ford uses a smaller Bolt than what came with the shocks . So the bigger bolts would not fit through the bushing so all they did was Hollow out the bushings to 32nds to make the bolts go through them it's not brain surgery

I thought the Eibach rear shocks would have had the usual rubber bushing through the shock loop and then a metal sleeve inside that like most shocks. Maybe it was actually the metal sleeve that they just opened up slightly.
I didn't see any in the Box. Or on any of the shocks. Not that I would know what I'm looking at anyway I know nothing about front ends lol I'm an ass man

Last edited:

joeb427

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Fort Mill/Indian Land area South Carolina
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lariat Sport and 19 Lincoln MKC Reserve
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Why not take a pic of the bushings when you get a chance?
Sponsored