Easy RedArc Tow control pro install

Nacho-business

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
?EDIT. That should say Redarc Tow Pro Elite? I wonder how many people got absolutely robbed by the dealerships BEFORE the internet? My local Ford dealer quoted me $900+ to buy and have the Redarc controller installed. They said it was very complex and time consuming and there was the hole they needed to drill in the console or the fuse panel cover for the knob. What actually happened? I watched the Etrailers.com YouTube video, spent an hour and a half (not including fabricating the COMPLETELY unnecessary mounting plate and clamps), and finished the installation without drilling a single hole anywhere. All at a savings of almost $700.

20210619_170812.jpg

20210619_170804.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I'm going to guess you didn't get the version of this controller that has the module that allows automatic emergency braking to continue working while towing (the one Ford sells and installs), which requires you to tie in to the high mount brake light and remove a bunch of trim panels.

OP
OP
Nacho-business

Nacho-business

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm going to guess you didn't get the version of this controller that has the module that allows automatic emergency braking to continue working while towing (the one Ford sells and installs), which requires you to tie in to the high mount brake light and remove a bunch of trim panels.
No, I'm not too concerned with that given I'll be towing a 600lb overland type trailer mostly on dirt roads. I know I'll need to drive on the hiway to get to those dirt roads but that's fine. Also, I don't think the dealership is aware of that option, as this is the exact model and part# they quoted me.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
No, I'm not too concerned with that given I'll be towing a 600lb overland type trailer mostly on dirt roads. I know I'll need to drive on the hiway to get to those dirt roads but that's fine. Also, I don't think the dealership is aware of that option, as this is the exact model and part# they quoted me.
My point is that that module is what makes the install so expensive. It's a lot of fiddling with trim panels that takes a few hours for most.

Me, I installed a Tekonsha P2 for a brake controller. I don't have the automatic emergency braking function enabled, either. I already had the controller, so I spent a few bux on a pigtail harness and a few minutes attaching it to the wires under the dash and I was done. I probably spent more time reading up on which wires I needed to connect to each other than I actually spent connecting them.

I'll probably get the Ford-approved Redarc at some point so I can have the emergency braking, but I'm not jumping at the chance to do so.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
I wouldn't think you need a TBC for a 600# trailer, or that a 600# trailer would even have electric brakes. But now that you have it installed, you can tow max load if needed.

OP
OP
Nacho-business

Nacho-business

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wouldn't think you need a TBC for a 600# trailer, or that a 600# trailer would even have electric brakes. But now that you have it installed, you can tow max load if needed.
You're correct, normally it wouldn't be a necessity but this trailer is made for WAY more sketchy terrain than I'll probably ever drag it so it comes with them.
Sponsored