E Bikes exploding

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Yeah, on your left, then ring ring, then the air horn.
on your left in any scenario except a race is going to get you dirty looks and comments. it comes off as aggressive.

but I was also referring to passing speed. anyone who passes at full tilt on a multiuse path is going to get dirty looks and comments, too.

ThatsAMonkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger Lariat 4x4, Triumph Bonneville T120
What I meant was that it really doesn't matter to the vast majority of people at all. It's a small subset of folks that ride E-bikes and bicycles.

Also, folks that ride bicycles have NO BUSINESS telling anybody about the law. They don't follow the rules of the road EVER.
Yeah, on your left, then ring ring, then the air horn.
On your left. ON YOUR LEFT. DING A LING A LING.

BWAAAWWW
291ytnm7vcxg1mbten4rkcj14e91g6aa76uax1yhc&rid=200w.gif

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
on your left in any scenario except a race is going to get you dirty looks and comments. it comes off as aggressive.

but I was also referring to passing speed. anyone who passes at full tilt on a multiuse path is going to get dirty looks and comments, too.
If they can't handle "on your left" then they should stay home. Since they are riding side by side I have to slow to their speed before they get out of the way. The more they pay for their bikes and tour de France outfits the bigger a**es they are.

I have ridden road and mountain bikes for years and know how to share the trails and let people ride. But these idiots are trying to be exclusive because the believe they are superior.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
A few years later you can find me going 170 mph on the front straight of Road America. This might belong in the jokes section. ?
I have a screen shot of Jimmie Johnson's Strava showing 100+mph at Carolina Motorsport Park on an E-bike. I reported it as he took my legit KOM for e-bike on CMP away.

JimmieJ@cmp.jpeg

That still doesn't help it to straddle any lines. Under all legal definitions for ebikes used in the United States, that thing does not fit as an ebike. At best, you can call it a moped if you put the pedal kit on it. But there's no line straddling anywhere with that machine.
On all National parks that allow bikes I'm allowed my e-bike. The department of interior made a statement that a Class 1 e-bike can ride on any trail area that a normal bike is allowed.

I only got the e-bike due to a knee injury from an auto accident in 2009 that prevents enough force to solo my why up any hill. I missed mild trail riding with friends and got a Levo SL as it is light enough (~35lb) to not feel like an e-bike, compared to weights I was used to from 15plus years ago.

Last edited:

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
If they can't handle "on your left" then they should stay home. Since they are riding side by side I have to slow to their speed before they get out of the way. The more they pay for their bikes and tour de France outfits the bigger a**es they are.

I have ridden road and mountain bikes for years and know how to share the trails and let people ride. But these idiots are trying to be exclusive because the believe they are superior.

I think you might be projecting. People spread out over multi-use trails. It's what they do. Rolling up on them like a tryhard yelling "on your left" is a dick move no matter what you're riding.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I think you might be projecting. People spread out over multi-use trails. It's what they do. Rolling up on them like a tryhard yelling "on your left" is a dick move no matter what you're riding.
I don't see what's wrong with saying "on your left"? We were walking on the path around the lake yesterday and when a biker came up behind us they'd say that. I'd rather that then a horn going off and scaring the ? out of me.

But I kind of get it that mountain bikers don't like e bikers. It's the same when I was still skiing and snowboarding was taking off. I (we) all hated them as they took up the whole slope and carved deep grooves into them. But it's inevitable they're coming just like the snowboarders so you have to get use to it.

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
I don't see what's wrong with saying "on your left"? We were walking on the path around the lake yesterday and when a biker came up behind us they'd say that. I'd rather that then a horn going off and scaring the ? out of me.

But I kind of get it that mountain bikers don't like e bikers. It's the same when I was still skiing and snowboarding was taking off. I (we) all hated them as they took up the whole slope and carved deep grooves into them. But it's inevitable they're coming just like the snowboarders so you have to get use to it.
and that's a lot of scaring to do :^)

boarders think they are special. and they are, when they get on the short bus :^)

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
and that's a lot of scaring to do :^)

boarders think they are special. and they are, when they get on the short bus :^)
Well I have been told a time or two I'm full of it. ? ?

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
"excuse me" works swimmingly well.

save "on your left" for races. people have a tendency to move TOWARDS the left when you call this out, and it has a tendency to come off as aggressive, even if you don't intend it to.

also, timing is huge and something not enough people think about. don't tell them you're approaching until you're right behind them and you'll get a very different response as compared to giving them time to look back, acknowledge you, and then decide how they're going to handle your approach.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
These might seem like new arguments because they involve E-Bikes but they’ve been around for decades. It used to only be the circular battle of the hikers vs. the bikers vs. other users (still is) but now E-Bikes have been thrown into the mix.

It’s trail builders/access advocates against the XC racer/posers against the DH and Free-ride adrenalin junkies against the privileged horsey set against the wrist-twisting throttle jockeys against the hikers, against the casual “cyclists”, against the walkers, runners, dumbasses just standing there, and let’s not forget those pesky rollerbladers, and now, E-Bikes!

I’ve been in most of these user groups, sometimes on the same day. I’ve even been that oblivious dumbass standing in the middle of a bike path looking up at the sky. I’ve built and maintained trails and have either raced or ridden in all of the Canadian provinces as well as 38 different U.S. states and a handful of other countries. Whether racing or just riding, I’ve only ever known “on your left” to be a courtesy. I’ve never heard of it being regarded as aggressive until this thread. Full disclosure: I’ve never ridden in NC - it might be different there.

These arguments are the same everywhere and the introduction of E-Bikes doesn’t make it new, it just adds a new element. No one knows all the rules, people don’t always know where they can and cannot be and some folks just make up their own rules or have a sense of entitlement.

Maybe we should all just follow one rule, the Golden Rule.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
"excuse me" works swimmingly well.

save "on your left" for races. people have a tendency to move TOWARDS the left when you call this out, and it has a tendency to come off as aggressive, even if you don't intend it to.

also, timing is huge and something not enough people think about. don't tell them you're approaching until you're right behind them and you'll get a very different response as compared to giving them time to look back, acknowledge you, and then decide how they're going to handle your approach.
Saying excuse me doesn't tell you what side they're on. Saying that I could've stepped right into their path. Also it's kind of hard to say it from a distance when the wind is blowing and others are talking/walking. You just seem hell bent on mountain bikers having the right away for everything instead of sharing the trail. The trails, roads and walkways are meant for everyone and 99% have always said "on your left" when approaching.

Bsthroop

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x2 Sport
Occupation
Broadband/ Microwave Engineer
I think you're projecting, I'm not sneaking up on them I give lots of notice, if they feel the need to take both lanes they need more situational awareness. This is a public path which is easy if you realize you are not the only person using it. I give that courtesy and hope to get it, but they like you have rules how they wish to be communicated to and if they don't get the exact terms they seek they throw attitude.
Sponsored