E Bikes exploding

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
I have seen e-bikes that are barely discernible from a normal bike. Small hub motor, and integrated battery into the design. If you were not told, you would not know that it was powered by anything except the rider.

The line here on what should be allowed should not be based upon power or not, but on the parameters of power and the effects it has on nature. I've seen motorcycles and 4 wheel side by sides tear up long driven dirt roads, making them nearly impossible for larger vehicles to travel.

I think this is all about gradients. Every vehicle and person leaves their marks on the territory they inhabit. There is a place for all of these toys and people. And within the confines of each park - be it a city or county park or a national park, standards should be set by the localities tasked with maintaining the park. Places of remarkable beauty should be protected and treasured.

There are places for racetracks, and roller coasters.... and places should be set aside for all the other stratas of our toys.

Here in NC, there are lakes and sections of lakes that do not allow "motorized" boats. Kayaks and jon boats - some with small trolling motors are allowed in these area (it is about the wakes and noise created). Most lakes are open to everyone. But lots have these restrictions.

Having a >40mph speed boat in an area with kayaks is a recipe for dangerous situations to develop - a drunk or reckless kayaker is only a danger to himself. A reckless or drunk person in a boat out on the lake with a cooler full of beer threatens everyone on the lake.

I have never had alcohol, but when I was young I remember a buddy sitting on the bow of my 18' boat on the lake as we chased ducks in figure eights until the water was so choppy that it finally threw me into the passenger floorboard on one of the tight radius turns. My Buddy was directing me from the nose, and was hanging on for dear life! It was extreme fun and extreme stupidity.... and I still smile about it 40 years later. You simply can't do that in a kayak!

The same goes for everything else.... Remember the adage - "If we can ... we will!"

Common sense should rule the day. Unfortunately. the human race is and always will be in short supply!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
Having a >40mph speed boat in an area with kayaks is a recipe for dangerous situations
I'm pretty sure that's the reason for the metro parks rule. They don't want a kid flying on an E bike wiping out a kid peddling with his family. I can see the difference in performance being an issue but she had a little booster motor on it but that's the rules.

My grandson races quads off road an the local track banned them because they're too hard on the track. He races nationally but it's nice to have a local track. Divorce cost the track they had in their backyard. It was on maybe 3 acres not great for training, mostly for testing the bikes after work.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Found this.

Screenshot_20230312_141108_Samsung Internet.jpg
That makes sense. As they gained popularity we're now seeing more fires and injuries. Kind of like EV's. We're now getting more feedback (good and bad) because more and more are on the roads now and the manufacturers will hopefully make adjustments based off this.

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
That still doesn't help it to straddle any lines. Under all legal definitions for ebikes used in the United States, that thing does not fit as an ebike. At best, you can call it a moped if you put the pedal kit on it. But there's no line straddling anywhere with that machine.
The Sur Ron X ships limited in top speed to help it be more legal in many places. To enable full power on it end users have to modify it.

As far as the rest of your message... you're hiding your anger under a huge wall of text. I don't expect you to fess up to a deep seated e-bike anger any time soon, hahah. There are entire series of videos on youtube about e-bike hate. (that said I do recognize the danger of lower quality chargers, on topic) The worst thing that can happen, and this is even in an area or on a road where an e-bike is legal, when an e-bike passes someone who is pedaling. Their blood boils and obscenities fly. E-bike hate is as real as the political slant against anything battery powered. I don't go for any side of it. I buy things only for their fun factor.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
The Sur Ron X ships limited in top speed to help it be more legal in many places. To enable full power on it end users have to modify it.

As far as the rest of your message... you're hiding your anger under a huge wall of text. I don't expect you to fess up to a deep seated e-bike anger any time soon, hahah. There are entire series of videos on youtube about e-bike hate. (that said I do recognize the danger of lower quality chargers, on topic) The worst thing that can happen, and this is even in an area or on a road where an e-bike is legal, when an e-bike passes someone who is pedaling. Their blood boils and obscenities fly. E-bike hate is as real as the political slant against anything battery powered. I don't go for any side of it. I buy things only for their fun factor.
so how many meetings have you attended where you've sat down with a land manager or staff of a land management agency and had to talk out objections to opening a trail to bikes, or building a new trail that would permit bikes in a place where no bikes were previously permitted? I'll wait.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yesterday Margie and I were on our usual walk on a multi use path when an E bike came wizzing by and yelled at us to get the F*ck off his path. So I did a bit of research on E bikes and found there are three kinds according to the Motor Vehicle Division with the last of the three where you do not have to pedal at all, which this A hole had must be licensed and is treated as a motorized vehicle which stays off the multi use paths and must use existing roads. Wish I knew that and called the sheriff on this clown. Hope we do not ever meet him again.

Best,
Phil

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Yesterday Margie and I were on our usual walk on a multi use path when an E bike came wizzing by and yelled at us to get the F*ck off his path. So I did a bit of research on E bikes and found there are three kinds according to the Motor Vehicle Division with the last of the three where you do not have to pedal at all, which this A hole had must be licensed and is treated as a motorized vehicle which stays off the multi use paths and must use existing roads. Wish I knew that and called the sheriff on this clown. Hope we do not ever meet him again.

Best,
Phil
there's a 4th kind that exists outside those 3 definitions. it tries not to be a motorcycle by using heavier downhill mountain bike parts, but it's a motorcycle.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

Best,
Phil
Phil, you’ve discovered the issue that gives city and county officials nightmares. Our city wrote laws a while ago when they put bike lanes on city streets but at that time, there were only a few variations. Now it’s a Gong Show and law enforcement has thrown in the towel - too many rules - leave it to the by-law officers.

Which ones are which? How do we classify them for our by-laws? What’s motorized, what isn’t? Do we limit gas engine size or top speed? Do we require pedals or no pedals? Do we regulate speeds for the different variations? Should we treat electric assist the same as full electric? How do we write our laws so people can’t skirt them? Can we future-proof them? How do they align with State traffic laws? How do we educate the riding public? How do we educate the other shared path users? How do we educate law enforcement? Which ones can only be on the road? On shared paths? In parks? In bike lanes? What about E-Scooters? Single-wheels? What about Segways?

And just when they think they have it figured out, something new comes along.

It’s a bloody mess with no easy answers. :(

outdoorphotog

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lincoln Navigator L
Occupation
Limo Driver
Not gonna lie, a nice E-bike is on my list of things to upgrade to in the next year. Pedaling up hills without an ebike is overrated.
Sponsored