Dropped in K&N air filter today

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
Install took about a minute. Is this the same filter the Ford Performance tune includes? The filter is approximately 144 square inches, I cannot believe this is more restrictive than the opening to the air box which is much smaller. I would think the stock filter is sufficient.
Sponsored

mattri

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 XLT Screw FTX
Occupation
Electrician
Notice any difference?

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
You probably won't notice any difference. The computer will only allow so much air into the system anyway. High flow air filters won't effect most street vehicles much.
I put one in an older car, years ago, it ruined the Mass Air Flow.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
If you run the K&N filter its good to buy two. You have to let the filter air dry before putting it back in.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
If you run the K&N filter its good to buy two. You have to let the filter air dry before putting it back in.
That's why I kept the original. Swap it out till the K&N dries.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
You probably won't notice any difference. The computer will only allow so much air into the system anyway. High flow air filters won't effect most street vehicles much.
I put one in an older car, years ago, it ruined the Mass Air Flow.
Then why does Ford use it in their Performance Tune? Also, I read on the forum somewhere the Ranger doesn't use a MAF. Also, you might have over-oiled it. I ran one in my Focus and F-150 without issue. Even if it doesn't change performance, it's nice not to ever buy another filter.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport
I actually just put it in about 2 hours ago. Haven't driven it yet!
So driving it in to work, it's hard to say I noticed anything. I should have done a couple before and after runs. It does run nice though! I hear using high octane fuel with the K&N is where you might notice something.

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Also, you might have over-oiled it. I ran one in my Focus and F-150 without issue.
We have about that much oil coming in the intake now with PCV venting from the crank to intake. A little more just hurries it up!

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
Then why does Ford use it in their Performance Tune? Also, I read on the forum somewhere the Ranger doesn't use a MAF. Also, you might have over-oiled it. I ran one in my Focus and F-150 without issue. Even if it doesn't change performance, it's nice not to ever buy another filter.
They use one in their performance tune because the tune changes the air/fuel mixture going into the port. It now needs more air. A non-tuned vehicle doesn't require more air.
I'm aware the Ranger doesn't have a MAF, I was mearly stating that the filter could do more harm than good depending on the application.
And keep in mind also, the oil in the filter doesn't make up for the large openings on the element. Lots of dirt and contaminants still enter the motor.
People who race street legal cars will drive their car to the track, put the K&N in, race, switch the filter back to factory, then drive home. To keep crap out of the motor.

OP
OP
got3fords

got3fords

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT Sport

Nevada_Bob

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Lariat
Did you notice any difference?
Do I feel a difference, no.

Do I notice a difference, yes.

It went in just about the time we switched to winter fuel and I added a Velossa Tech Big Mouth at the same time.

I've been getting absolutely great fuel mileage since I did this. My last commute I measured was a couple of weeks ago (Hour and a half, 50/50 highway and secondary roads) and it was over 28!

I posted this a while back, this was my winter average. 93 Octane the whole time.

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/report-your-mpg.1829/page-45#post-251783

1623775172161.png

I love K&N
Sponsored