Drilling holes on chassis! Will it void warranty?

Shadowranger

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger and 2013 Volkswagen passat
Occupation
Owner and operator Xplicit wraps
Hey guys good afternoon. So I'm currently fabricating my first set of rock sliders for my 2019 crew cab but I'm trying to make everything as if they were factory made because if all goes well I'm planning to mass produce it for the public but as custom/direct bolt on. The only thing is that ,although I'm trying to stay away from it, there might be some drilling required. I'm using as many as original holes as I can on the chassis but there's a couple of holes that dont go through. I could make a bracket to stick a nut through a different hole and reach the other hole but will be a bit complicated and and wont be fully installer friendly.
Will it void the factory chassis warranty if 4 ,1/2" holes where drill through?. It will be one on each corner of the car, 2 on each side, so that the longer bolts can go through the 4" chassis. I'd appreciate any input from the pros! I will not be drilling on this one for now but if I make this into production I want my future customers to be confident that their warranty will be intact. I'd prefer to drill holes because it will be easier and stronger on the rocky trails.
Good day.

20200206_123123.jpg

20200206_123428.jpg

20200206_123414.jpg

20200206_122115.jpg
Sponsored

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
If your frame breaks in half I guess it would.

I did this to my 83 Ranger yrs back. Never gave the warranty a thought.

Awesome color BTW.

OP
OP
Shadowranger

Shadowranger

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
If your frame breaks in half I guess it would.

I did this to my 83 Ranger yrs back. Never gave the warranty a thought.

Awesome color BTW.
I seriously doubt a half inch hole will compromise the chassis integrity. But concern is on the rust warranty. If the manufacturer can deny warranty because of that

kieefer

First Name
keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 2WD SuperCab - 97 BMW M3
Occupation
Retired
Then can rustproof the holes and then add sealer around. Bolt them up with stainless steel.

2020FX4

First Name
El Jefe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Look forward to seeing your sliders mounted. Is your truck got a wrap on it? Dipped?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hey guys good afternoon. So I'm currently fabricating my first set of rock sliders for my 2019 crew cab but I'm trying to make everything as if they were factory made because if all goes well I'm planning to mass produce it for the public but as custom/direct bolt on. The only thing is that ,although I'm trying to stay away from it, there might be some drilling required. I'm using as many as original holes as I can on the chassis but there's a couple of holes that dont go through. I could make a bracket to stick a nut through a different hole and reach the other hole but will be a bit complicated and and wont be fully installer friendly.
Will it void the factory chassis warranty if 4 ,1/2" holes where drill through?. It will be one on each corner of the car, 2 on each side, so that the longer bolts can go through the 4" chassis. I'd appreciate any input from the pros! I will not be drilling on this one for now but if I make this into production I want my future customers to be confident that their warranty will be intact. I'd prefer to drill holes because it will be easier and stronger on the rocky trails.
Good day.
Hi Eric,

I doubt you will have any problem with a couple holes in the frame drilled all the way through on most of the frame...Not around suspension attachment points though, which may be unwise. Holes close to the top are likely not to have much effect. This is particularly related to a boxed frame like the 5G Ranger has. I have no access to the current frame, but with the old Ranger when I had Chassis FEA analysis, there were cases where hole locations caused frame cracking and as such, I would advise you to occasionally inspect both the outboard and inboard frame sections around the hole for cracking. If you find such, you will need to repair and weld the frame. At the end of the crack on both ends, drill about 3/16 holes which will go beyond the visible crack. Then weld up the holes and the crack. Reason is microscopically the crack extends beyond the visible crack... This is the way to handle any crack in any piece of metal. Your fabrication is very nice...I hope it is never needed, but if so I think it will protect your rockers/pinch weld flanges. Hope this seat of the pants analysis helps you make your decision on your install.

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

Tangent

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford XL Ranger 4x4 Supercrew
Vehicle Showcase
Shrockworks sliders have you drill 1 hole, and use 3 stick nuts, so you wouldn't be any less user friendly than they are.

Was still relatively simple once you understood where everything goes and what you have to do.

I haven't drilled the hole yet, so they aren't giving full protection, but, good enough for right now. Weather's been lousy, and haven't gotten around to it.

RoadBoss

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.TJAoutfitters.com
Vehicle(s)
95 Isuzu trooper, AE86 corolla, 19 ranger XL
Occupation
video/film, small business owner
another thing to maybe consider though, is that a lot of people are hesitant to buy parts that require drilling. there were definitely a lot of people not wanting to get the shrockworks just because of drilling the single hole. I'd imagine having to drill 4 would turn away even more people. but maybe that's the market you're aiming for... just a thought

THLONE

First Name
Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
Put it on your truck drive it like a wild man for 10 years and see what happens. Isnt that the type of testing most companies use before releasing to the public? :giggle:

OP
OP
Shadowranger

Shadowranger

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Do you have any pictures?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Put it on your truck drive it like a wild man for 10 years and see what happens. Isnt that the type of testing most companies use before releasing to the public? :giggle:
Hi Thom,

Not quite. However if you heard them say "you are kidding? You will actually drive this vehicle over this pot hole course for 1000 Cycles?" We have tests that are so sever that the vehicle is literately trashed at the end of their prototype life. Our pot hole course is longer than two football fields end to end with 6" deep steel rimmed pot holes and one cycle is up and back down. You cannot see the speedometer due to the violent nature of the course and so they have strobes to flash into the side window to ensure you are at 30 mph for the course. At the end of 1000 cycles there is a Slide for Life test...the fully loaded vehicle is driven into the mother of all pot holes at 30 mph where the brakes are hit as you hit the pot hole which collects both front wheels at the same time...6" deep steel rimed. The only criteria of Slide for Life is that the vehicle has to move 100 ft under its own power...things are bent to shit, but it has to move and steer... The vehicle then goes to the crusher...totally trashed. Dido for a durability section called Silver Creek. So violent that the drivers are allowed to unbuckle the seatbelts due the shoulder bruising from the violent motion of the truck...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored