Dreaded Windshield Crack

Lc4

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, Honda CRV, Triumph TR8, Dodge D150
Walked out today and spotted a windshield crack on the passenger side. Was a small rock chip 2 days ago. Quoted $650, including installation, to replace with a Ford OEM windshield and another $50 to reprogram the front end collision
DSC01798.JPG
and lane assist-ouch! Frustrated but not surprised. My 2016 Tacoma windshield cracked after a rock hit in the first 6 months. I believe chips and cracks are more the result of the height and steeper angle of the modern car windshields plus the crappy roads in Oregon. My 1979 Dodge pickup still has the original windshield and no cracks.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I've had many of those too. Small chip and I forgot about it and next bump and it's a full blown crack. Doesn't your insurance cover glass breakage? I make sure it's on all my vehicles and it even covered me on my rental last summer when a rock came up and shattered the rentals windshield.

Lukaranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT Sport
I got a chip 4 days after I drove it off the lot. Had it filled, so far it's worked and hasn't spread. Luckily it's on the passenger side so I don't have to stare at it everyday while driving.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Walked out today and spotted a windshield crack on the passenger side. Was a small rock chip 2 days ago. Quoted $650, including installation, to replace with a Ford OEM windshield and another $50 to reprogram the front end collision
DSC01798.JPG
and lane assist-ouch! Frustrated but not surprised. My 2016 Tacoma windshield cracked after a rock hit in the first 6 months. I believe chips and cracks are more the result of the height and steeper angle of the modern car windshields plus the crappy roads in Oregon. My 1979 Dodge pickup still has the original windshield and no cracks.
Insurance?

ch47dmechanic

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4X4
Glass coverage is usually pretty cheap with your insurance company. I highly recommend it.

OP
OP

Lc4

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, Honda CRV, Triumph TR8, Dodge D150
Glass coverage is usually pretty cheap with your insurance company. I highly recommend it.
I am getting a quote for adding glass breakage to my policy. I will post the cost for reference. Technology is expensive so I likely will add.

hawk43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
In my parts glass overage is part of comprehensive...we get one replacement per yer no deductible in SC...

Zaph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, A whole garage full of motorcycles
Occupation
Engineer
$650 for a new windshield? That's all? That's very cheap for a windshield with sensors built in. I know of a couple other people with different cars that had to get it done and both were well into 4 digits.

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
$650 for a new windshield? That's all? That's very cheap for a windshield with sensors built in. I know of a couple other people with different cars that had to get it done and both were well into 4 digits.
We accidentally tore the right hand mirror off our Explorer and it was $500!

hawk43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
while the glass coverage is cheap, you know you're not getting a windshield for free.

somewhere along the line you're paying for it.

Insurance companies dont reap in huge profits every year by giving away free windshields.

No shit sherlock...Here's what I know...If my windshield for wife's car cost 300 I pay nothing...insurance cost was same..If its 800 dollars for my car...I pay nothing...Insurance does not go up either. (Legally one per year per car if needed) I currently insure three cars...(Ranger,Malibu, Corvette) total coverage for about 200 per month. Yes its in there...that's why they call it insurance:p.

No one said they gave away free...:giggle:

Roaddog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Range XLT
Mine had a crack down in the lower passenger side 2 weeks after I got it. It was not from a chip and the dealer agreed to replace it under warranty.

That being said, its been sitting at the dealership for the last week because they ordered the wrong windshield. I now have to wait for a new factory windshield to arrive. Hope to have it home in another week. Luckily they gave me a loaner car.

DBRanger

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX 4X4 2007 BMW 328i
Vehicle Showcase
while the glass coverage is cheap, you know you're not getting a windshield for free.

somewhere along the line you're paying for it.

Insurance companies dont reap in huge profits every year by giving away free windshields.
We are all paying for it. Your post will be misunderstood by most but it is a fact.

JimH

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT SuperCrew
Occupation
Retired
Florida state law says cracked windshields get replaced for free to the owner - no ding on insurance. I think the State pays for it.

JimJa

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger Lariat, '18 Focus RS, '17 Escape Titanium
Two days after picking up my Ranger last April I got a chip in the black area near the top of the windshield. After hearing the pop from the rock I checked but didn't notice the chip. Next day the chip spread clear across the PAX side. Because of the sensors I wanted OEM glass but it wasn't in the system since the truck mark was so new. Safelite replaced the windshield two weeks ago. The total cost was $1050. My insurance company is USAA and my cost was $500. With USAA a claim against them due to damage within 30 days of purchase requires a copy of the Bill of Sale from the dealer. Obviously this was unknown to me when I got around to to replacing the glass. The back and forth among myself, USAA and Safelite took more time than it should and fell into being make-work. Suggest you check with your insurance company. If your purchase is recent and there is a similar requirement a claim could go a lot smoother.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
Florida state law says cracked windshields get replaced for free to the owner - no ding on insurance. I think the State pays for it.
If you're insured...
Sponsored