Dometic DM-2912 Towing Mirrors

SRanger

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
I decided to try these Dometic towing Mirrors. They fit very securely on the power mirrors and do not interfere with the power folding feature. They will fit on both the top and bottom of the mirrors. I went for a test drive and they seem to work well. There is some shaking of the mirrors, but that is to be expected. I did not find the shaking to be overly annoying. I do not think that they would easily come off even at highway speeds.

They are a little pricey, but seem to be well made and you get a bag to keep them in when not suing the mirrors.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019YJCBF4/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_ac5iDbN6FQ16T

IMG_2565.jpg

IMG_2564.jpg
Sponsored

2.7EcoBoost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Screw
Thanks for the write up. I've been looking for some mirrors, will definitely consider these. Wish K-source or CIPA (?) would offer some snap on or slide on. Had them on previous trucks and they barely even vibrate and look almost factory.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I notice that the mirror housing on the new Ranger is double thick .
The older Ford mirrors I have had were single layer plastic.
Do those clamps compress the layers together significantly on your truck?

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
I have that same set and expect to tow a few hundred miles on the highway this week. Will report back. Haven’t used them yet.

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
I decided to try these Dometic towing Mirrors. They fit very securely on the power mirrors and do not interfere with the power folding feature. They will fit on both the top and bottom of the mirrors. I went for a test drive and they seem to work well. There is some shaking of the mirrors, but that is to be expected. I did not find the shaking to be overly annoying. I do not think that they would easily come off even at highway speeds.

They are a little pricey, but seem to be well made and you get a bag to keep them in when not suing the mirrors.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019YJCBF4/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_ac5iDbN6FQ16T

IMG_2565.jpg

IMG_2564.jpg
Ughhh, i can hear that powerfold actuator crying from the extra weight... The Ranger's mirror is already pushing the rated weight for that actuator. I suggest you avoid folding the mirrors with those on. I may be looking at the specs for both the mirror and actuator right now...

Ranger mirrors arent so much double-thick, there are some overlapping parts. The chrome cap fits into the bezel that surrounds the glass. The bezel and skullcap overlap for only about an inch.

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase
I have the other version of these, the one that looks like a teardrop. I can't see any issues with the layers compressing. They fit very securely. I definitely didn't want the kind with the straps that was going to scratch my skull caps. Would recommend.

file-1.jpeg

Last edited:

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
Ughhh, i can hear that powerfold actuator crying from the extra weight... The Ranger's mirror is already pushing the rated weight for that actuator. I suggest you avoid folding the mirrors with those on. I may be looking at the specs for both the mirror and actuator right now...
HEres some issues I had way back with the power folders and extension towing mirrors. Pretty extreme conditions, but just a heads up

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/towing-mirror-issue.1620/#post-17104

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors
HEres some issues I had way back with the power folders and extension towing mirrors. Pretty extreme conditions, but just a heads up

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/towing-mirror-issue.1620/#post-17104
Yeah, we design those mirrors very specifically to hold their own weight, and not much else. The actuator isnt exactly recommended for a mirror with the weight of the ranger's, let alone the additional extended mirrors. While the actuator may be a bit light for the ranger mirror, the mirror is still tested to the same lifespan standards as all other ford mirrors and it survived with no significant problems. It'll hold up fine on its own, but i really suggest not folding the mirrors while it has extensions on it, and only using extensions when absolutely needed. For truck mirrors the ranger's mirrors were built really light.

OP
OP

SRanger

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

It seems very solid. It did not see any compression.

OP
OP

SRanger

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I thought I would add an update. I used these on my first 750 mile round trip and they work good with no fuss or issues. They vibrate a little, but not all that annoying. It allows me to see down the sides of my 8' wide trailer.
Sponsored