Towing mirror issue

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
I just got back from a towing trip and on the way up it was a very windy day and if I got passed by a semi going the opposite direction on a 2 lane highway the wind blast would fold in the mirror on the drivers side, this did not happen every time but more often than not. It like the extra length of the towing mirror caught the wind and it couldnt hold it out.

This is a Lariat with the auto folding mirrors so Im a little concerned that this is hard on whatever motor or the like is in there to power fold these things.

Im going to let the dealer know in case something happens to them and see if they have any ideas. I would think the non-power folding would be stiffer as all my other trucks seemed to be.

I was using a simple universal towing mirror somewhat similar to this.
cipa_clip_on_towing_mirror.jpg
Sponsored

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger SCab,'16 Connect,'95 MustangGT,'50 Ford
I just got back from a towing trip and on the way up it was a very windy day and if I got passed by a semi going the opposite direction on a 2 lane highway the wind blast would fold in the mirror on the drivers side, this did not happen every time but more often than not. It like the extra length of the towing mirror caught the wind and it couldnt hold it out.

This is a Lariat with the auto folding mirrors so Im a little concerned that this is hard on whatever motor or the like is in there to power fold these things.

Im going to let the dealer know in case something happens to them and see if they have any ideas. I would think the non-power folding would be stiffer as all my other trucks seemed to be.

Go to a big RV place and check out CIPA custom mirrors They fit over your stock mirror like a glove and are very stable.
https://www.realtruck.com/cipa-cust...MIt82XrquP4AIVhSBpCh3m3ghEEAYYAiABEgJf-PD_BwE
cipa-custom-towing-mirror-installed.jpg

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
Todd is referring to the inability of the power mirror mechanism to buck high winds. I don't think it has anything to do with the fitment of the non-oem tow mirror to the factory mirror housing.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Todd is referring to the inability of the power mirror mechanism to buck high winds. I don't think it has anything to do with the fitment of the non-oem tow mirror to the factory mirror housing.
You may well be right,:wink:and I regret any consternation which I may have caused you.... but I have a shelf full of those rubberband mirrors in my shop and they seem to exert a great deal more sail pressure on the truck mirrors than the Cipas.
I have used Cipa Mirrors for years and found them very stable and they have never caused a vehicle on which I have used them to fold. I think it has to do with the leverage applied by the Rubberband mirrors in contrast to the fact that the wind force is spread across the entire face of the Cipa mirror including the covered portion of the OEM Mirror. Also the Cipa custom mirror may well be more aerodynamic.
The rubberband mirrors have been a constant aggravation in comparison ... Vibrating and folding the Tow vehicle mirrors, even shifting when installed properly.
None of these problems has occurred with the Cipa custom mirrors in my experience

Of course I understand that your experience may well be different.
I understand that there may be a problem with the OEM mirror.
I also understand what Todd said.
Our only difference appears to be that I think my comment had some relevance and you didn't.
That's OK too.:like:

Pinecrestjim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2018 F-150, 2016 Escape
Floyd, no worries here, was just trying to help. I tow a 17' boat/trailer and may look into those myself just to be able to see a little better behind the boat.

OP
OP
toddiscdn

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
I have these from my Frontier as they did not have a custom fit for it, so I used what I have. I would rather have the custom ones, and it will be interesting to see if it makes any difference. I hope it does, but are there any to fit the Ranger?, are our mirrors the same as any other fords?

The mirror still seemed pretty weak , not only did it fold , but just driving pushed it in a half inch or so, so I adjusted the mirror for that as well. I have never had auto fold mirrors, so this is all new to me too, but you would think it should be able to handle it.

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have these from my Frontier as they did not have a custom fit for it, so I used what I have. I would rather have the custom ones, and it will be interesting to see if it makes any difference. I hope it does, but are there any to fit the Ranger?, are our mirrors the same as any other fords?

The mirror still seemed pretty weak , not only did it fold , but just driving pushed it in a half inch or so, so I adjusted the mirror for that as well. I have never had auto fold mirrors, so this is all new to me too, but you would think it should be able to handle it.
When I bought my first set of Cipas for my 2001 Ranger, they did not list them for the Ranger. I just looked at other Ford products and found that the contemporary Explorer used the same Mirror, so I ordered them to fit the Explorer... Perfect fit of course!
You're right , they may not make them specifically for the ranger just yet but there is another company making a competing product now and I found both companies at the RV dealer the other day with a wall full of different applications.
It can't hurt to ask.
I won't be needing them for my trailer since it is only 80" wide.
I guess its best to check out all avenues and take the one that works best.
Can the tension be adjusted? Kinda doubt it.
My STX won't have such cool mirrors.
I hope something solves the problem and you can share it with us all.

Geoff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger 1943 Willys Jeep
Occupation
Retired Engineer

You might want to discuss that with your dealer, as that 1/2 deflection would drive me nutso. I don't recall any reviewers discussing weak mirrors but that sounds unacceptable.

OP
OP
toddiscdn

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
I will definitely be talking to my dealer, even just a heads up in case I have isses later on right now they open and close lust fine. Its not likely an option I would have chose, but since I bought off the lot it was part of the deal.

I dont remember seeing reviews with trailer mirrors, but could be some. At 101" wide I cant see a damn thing behind my snowmobile trailer without them, it a law here as well.

Im hoping it can be worked out easily, maybe a different set of mirrors could be it, we,ll see, could just be the nature of power mirrors. I found a pic of the actual ones I have, a bit more streamlined than the ones above but maybe not ideal. I,ll keep you all up to date if anything new happens.
615E8TSCmHL._SX355_.jpg

OP
OP
toddiscdn

toddiscdn

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 4X4
SO after reading some other threads I just wanted to clarify, the mirror only deflects with a tow mirror on, it is fine without them. Also, it was a particularly windy day, but I still think it should have held. Im not overly stressed about, it we,ll see what the dealer says.

Jamiko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Go to a big RV place and check out CIPA custom mirrors They fit over your stock mirror like a glove and are very stable.
I contacted CIPA about custom tow mirrors for the Ranger and received the following reply:
"As of right now, there are no plans to design a custom towing mirror for the 2019 Ranger."

Floyd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I contacted CIPA about custom tow mirrors for the Ranger and received the following reply:
"As of right now, there are no plans to design a custom towing mirror for the 2019 Ranger."
They said the same thing about my 2001 Ranger.
I have two sets.
The key is to figure what other vehicles use the same mirror, or same shape and sized mirror.
then buy the one that fits.
My 2001 was the same mirror as the same circa Explorer... problem solved!
Its worth a try to check for a while.

Kataphrakt

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger XLT FX4 Offroad
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer - Mirrors

Hi, I work at the company that makes the mirrors for the ranger. I had little to do with the development of the mirror, but I have reviewed the design/specs. As much as i'd like to say "Dont put trailer-tow mirrors onto these mirrors" I know it's a necessity for many people due to the lack of proper trailer tow mirrors (Especially since Ford pretty much insists that the Blind Zone sensors are all you need). I highly suggest avoiding use of add-on mirrors whenever possible, and also suggest that you avoid folding the mirrors (powered or manually) while the extensions are on the mirrors.

The Ranger mirrors are a bit heavy for the powerfold actuator, and they're not as rugged as the F-150 base mirrors are. Lifespan is still to Ford's usual specs, but they dont have the "extra capacity" that something like the F-150's might have.

DrSafety

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Electric Blue
Vehicle Showcase
Hi, I work at the company that makes the mirrors for the ranger. I had little to do with the development of the mirror, but I have reviewed the design/specs. As much as i'd like to say "Dont put trailer-tow mirrors onto these mirrors" I know it's a necessity for many people due to the lack of proper trailer tow mirrors (Especially since Ford pretty much insists that the Blind Zone sensors are all you need). I highly suggest avoiding use of add-on mirrors whenever possible, and also suggest that you avoid folding the mirrors (powered or manually) while the extensions are on the mirrors.

The Ranger mirrors are a bit heavy for the powerfold actuator, and they're not as rugged as the F-150 base mirrors are. Lifespan is still to Ford's usual specs, but they dont have the "extra capacity" that something like the F-150's might have.
Good information to have when I tow the camper. I do have a set of mirror extensions. They are critical for backing the trailer up. The blind spot sensors don't help much for that task.

On a side note. Maybe I will see you around town as I live and work in GR. I haven't seen another Ranger on the road yet but I will keep my eye out for a Saber Ranger. Nice to know West Michigan supplied parts for the Ranger.
Sponsored

Last edited: