Does Lane keeping Move the Steering Wheel?

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P
Occupation
Retired
I love all the modern tech that is in our vehicles, especially ACC and AEB. However, Lane Keep is one that I turn off and not because I feel I am a "superior driver". It comes down to how poorly we paint our highways in America, especially the difference from one state to another. The exit and entrance ramps are particularly bad, as there is usually an extra 12" band of white near these that just suddenly pop up. One minute, you are driving perfectly in your lane, then when you go past this approach to the ramp, it thinks you are drifting and the alert goes off. Probably the only tech safety feature that I disable.
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
It's truly just an "assist", a nudge back into your lane. It will not crank the wheel like that.
It absolutely did. It's done it twice when I had a "less than stellar" grip on the wheel when the white lines on the side of the road curve outward at the start of a passing lane.

It's reproducible in the following way.

Have the lane assist on, find a road where the lines are clearly visible, and drive past the spot where the "new" lane starts out. While you are doing that, keep your hand barely on the wheel (but ready to grip it). It will suddenly jerk to the right and if you don't stop it, you're going right.

Others have reported the same behavior.

It's definitely a case of "grip the wheel and you won't have that problem" but it can, and will happen if you're light on the wheel.

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
It absolutely did. It's done it twice when I had a "less than stellar" grip on the wheel when the white lines on the side of the road curve outward at the start of a passing lane.

It's reproducible in the following way.

Have the lane assist on, find a road where the lines are clearly visible, and drive past the spot where the "new" lane starts out. While you are doing that, keep your hand barely on the wheel (but ready to grip it). It will suddenly jerk to the right and if you don't stop it, you're going right.

Others have reported the same behavior.

It's definitely a case of "grip the wheel and you won't have that problem" but it can, and will happen if you're light on the wheel.
Wow, that's really different on my Explorer. Or, at least what I remember on my Explorer, as I turned it off due to issues noted above! And, from a driver fatigue pov alone, you shouldn't be gripping the wheel like that on a regular basis.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wow, that's really different on my Explorer. Or, at least what I remember on my Explorer, as I turned it off due to issues noted above! And, from a driver fatigue pov alone, you shouldn't be gripping the wheel like that on a regular basis.
Agree, mine were both nearly perfect storms.

First time I had just rolled down the window, and my left hand was on it's way back to the wheel at the same time I took my right hand off the wheel to go turn the radio up (I forget about the steering controls alot), and just before my left got back on the wheel, I passed the white line thing.

Lost one of my lives during that maneuver.

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Agree, mine were both nearly perfect storms.

First time I had just rolled down the window, and my left hand was on it's way back to the wheel at the same time I took my right hand off the wheel to go turn the radio up (I forget about the steering controls alot), and just before my left got back on the wheel, I passed the white line thing.

Lost one of my lives during that maneuver.
Chance the Cat??? ;)

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol, never thought of it that way. I've got more than 9 though. I've already used up at least 13 in my short lifetime.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Gotta agree, the following of the outside, right side, lines is a PITA.

I don't even understand why it does it. If it's "lane keeping assist," I'm in a lane and I haven't approached or crossed a line. Have switched to warn only, not a fan of the assist.
Sponsored