Does Lane keeping Move the Steering Wheel?

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2017 MB GLE350, 2006 Porsche Cayman S
Vehicle Showcase
I've got a Lariat with Technology Package and I;m confused what setting to use and how much if any it actually steers to keep in a lane.
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I've got a Lariat with Technology Package and I;m confused what setting to use and how much if any it actually steers to keep in a lane.
Yes it will, and it's kinda scary sometimes.

The setting would be "warning and assist" from memory. It's scary because if you go to drive around a vehicle turning left, it will sometimes fight you even if there is a proper passing lane to the right. In these circumstances you need to use your blinker and it will let you go anywhere you want.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Its a conspiracy i tell ya! Ford is forcing everyone to use the blinkers. Lol!
Ever been to Detroit? lol. I get it, but sometimes there are occasions when you deviate from the roadway, and don't have time to turn the blinker on. I've had to take the shoulder several times when someone decides to try and occupy my space. If the wheel fought me on it, the outcome might have ended up different. I'm all for using my blinkers though if I want to deviate from normal traffic patterns.

Monty

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda
Ever been to Detroit? lol. I get it, but sometimes there are occasions when you deviate from the roadway, and don't have time to turn the blinker on. I've had to take the shoulder several times when someone decides to try and occupy my space. If the wheel fought me on it, the outcome might have ended up different. I'm all for using my blinkers though if I want to deviate from normal traffic patterns.
And how about that CRASH ALERT? scared the bejesus outta me!

kaltzbar

First Name
Barret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
It seems to kick in when you're driving above 40 mph. Luckily it can be turned off with a press of the button on the turn signal. It was novel at first before it got annoying. I'll plan to use it only for any tired, late night driving where there aren't many cars on the road.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
And how about that CRASH ALERT? scared the bejesus outta me!
I thought I was going into orbit for sure first time I heard that... I was going around a large sweeping turn and there was a car in the turn lane out in front of me.

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase
It doesn't really bother me, although it is an odd sensation having to fight the steering wheel. Florida roads are perpetually under construction and quick lane deviations are not uncommon. I don't mind the crash alert either, I figure the computer can react much quicker than me so why not let it at least have it one as extra insurance.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
It's not that hard to overpower the assist. It doesn't take all control from you. It's a great system and works fine. Had it in my 2015 Explorer and see no issues in the Ranger.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It's not that hard to overpower the assist. It doesn't take all control from you. It's a great system and works fine. Had it in my 2015 Explorer and see no issues in the Ranger.
yep, it's just that you use X force to move right/left, and if you aren't quite expecting it to intervene (new to me), you have to readjust your input force which can take time. I actually like it and leave it on. I'm certain I'll learn how to use it as a feature instead of a nuisance.

FoMoCoDave

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
I was checking out the lane assist feature. Nobody was near and the truck moving all over my lane, but doing a fair job keeping in the lines. Got the "keep hands on wheel alert" of course. Then not long after that, A new warning suggesting I "May want need to take a driving break" popped up. I hadn't been driving 15 minutes lol.
I know all that weaving set that off. But, if someone was really tired or distracted, that may be the trigger to get us to realize we are endangering ourselves and others and actually take a break

Last edited:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was checking out the lane assist feature. Nobody was near and the truck moving all over my lane, but doing a fair job keeping in the lines. Got the "keep hands on wheel alert" of course. Then not long after that, A new warning suggesting I "May want need to take a driving break" popped up. I hadn't been driving 15 minutes lol.
I know all that weaving set that off. But, if someone was really tired or distracted, that may be the trigger to get us to realize we are endangering ourselves and others and actually take a break
Read my post above, had I not been touching the wheel I'd have been upside down when it tried to pull a 90 degree turn at 45mph.

TimmyB

First Name
Timothy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor, 2020 Fleetwood Bounder 35P
Occupation
Retired
Read my post above, had I not been touching the wheel I'd have been upside down when it tried to pull a 90 degree turn at 45mph.
It's truly just an "assist", a nudge back into your lane. It will not crank the wheel like that.
Sponsored