OP
dangerranger16

dangerranger16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Update on this?
I managed to 3d print some brackets to hold the cable slides. Also 3d printed a fixture for the cable ends to attach to the window itself. The problem for me is time. What's left for me to do is attach the brackets, attach the motor, heavy duty double sided tape the fixture for cable ends, and run a few wires to the overhead switch I pre-installed. Then trial and error to see how much cable will need to be pulled and clipped in each direction to fully open and close, providing nothing fails beforehand. It's very home-made and prototype-ish but I'm starting to feel some real heat here in Chicagoland so I'd love to get that window moving.

If anyone's got a 3d printer and wanted the files I have no problem sharing those.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I managed to 3d print some brackets to hold the cable slides. Also 3d printed a fixture for the cable ends to attach to the window itself. The problem for me is time. What's left for me to do is attach the brackets, attach the motor, heavy duty double sided tape the fixture for cable ends, and run a few wires to the overhead switch I pre-installed. Then trial and error to see how much cable will need to be pulled and clipped in each direction to fully open and close, providing nothing fails beforehand. It's very home-made and prototype-ish but I'm starting to feel some real heat here in Chicagoland so I'd love to get that window moving.

If anyone's got a 3d printer and wanted the files I have no problem sharing those.
Hi DR16,

Nice work! How does the window latch to be theft resistant?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
dangerranger16

dangerranger16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Hi DR16,

Nice work! How does the window latch to be theft resistant?

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Thank you!

At the moment I plan to remove the stock latch and see how the cables and motor secure the window. I'm hoping there's enough rigidity within the motor and cables to prevent the window from sliding. If not, I have a couple ideas I can 3d print. I'll tackle that when I get there though.

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
This project was posted in September 20 in the year 2019. Do you have a "completed" automation solution for the rear window by now?
If not, this Ohio hillbilly engineering staff (me) will DIY design and engineer a rear window automation system with RF remote control and linear actuator. :cool:

BTW .. my purposed design will have the following:
1. No modifications to the rear window will be allowed. :cool:
2. No drilling or machining on the Ranger will be allowed. :cool:
3. High temperature components will be used. :cool:
4. Easy addition and removal of the actuator system. :cool:
5. Easy to obtain, "off the shelf" automation system parts will be used. :cool:
6. Cellulose (wood) will be used for any special parts. :cool:
7. The linear actuator will just stroke the center latch for open/close automation. :cool:

Last edited:

DonB

Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPR Ranger Super Cab FX4
Occupation
Retired
I honestly only ever used my power sliding rear window just to flip other drivers off. No power slider should be a better option for me.

daczone

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
This project was posted in September 20 in the year 2019. Do you have a "completed" automation solution for the rear window by now?
If not, this Ohio hillbilly engineering staff (me) will DIY design and engineer a rear window automation system with RF remote control and linear actuator. :cool:

BTW .. my purposed design will have the following:
1. No modifications to the rear window will be allowed. :cool:
2. No drilling or machining on the Ranger will be allowed. :cool:
3. High temperature components will be used. :cool:
4. Easy addition and removal of the actuator system. :cool:
5. Easy to obtain, "off the shelf" automation system parts will be used. :cool:
6. Cellulose (wood) will be used for any special parts. :cool:
7. The linear actuator will just stroke the center latch for open/close automation. :cool:
Crazy that the F150 trucks get powered rear windows. Seems that this should be simple enough for Ford to do from the start.

You might look at window regulators. I used one for my S10 a few years back, The motor was cabled off the slide, so only the slide was near the window with the motor down the back of the cab. I don't remember what I used but it was very small in size.

I also miss the days of a big back window going down (Ford Explorer Sportrac)(Toyota Tundra) style.
Sponsored