First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I fabricated a power lock and tied it into my tailgate power lock so goodby key! I designed it so the key can still be used in an emergency to unlock it if the battery is dead or the locking mechanism fails.

One of the challenges was in providing positive detents for the lock and unlock positions. I solved this by using the five Neodymium N52 magnets in the slide assembly so they would latch into place.

The locking piston is a cheapo amazon universal lock. 2 for $11.49 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CZBQCR2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

It mounts to the existing rod with the round mounting knob i machined and mounts without modification to the existing mechanism with a set screw. and the bracket is secured by 3 screws to the backing frame.

The only change is to disconnect the silver rod from the hole in the locking rod and tie warp it loosely along the shaft so that it can only act as an emergency unlock.
IMG_3590.jpg
IMG_3605.jpg
IMG_3599.jpg
IMG_3603.jpg

IMG_3604.jpg

IMG_3605.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rob09

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021.25 XLT
Genius. I've been thinking about trying to tie the remote locking on tailgate into my hard lid.

This is the sort of motivation I needed.

Thanks.

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
I fabricated a power lock and tied it into my tailgate power lock so goodby key! I designed it so the key can still be used in an emergency to unlock it if the battery is dead or the locking mechanism fails.

One of the challenges was in providing positive detents for the lock and unlock positions. I solved this by using the five Neodymium N52 magnets in the slide assembly so they would latch into place.

The locking piston is a cheapo amazon universal lock. 2 for $11.49 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CZBQCR2?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

It mounts to the existing rod with the round mounting knob i machined and mounts without modification to the existing mechanism with a set screw. and the bracket is secured by 3 screws to the backing frame.

The only change is to disconnect the silver rod from the hole in the locking rod and tie warp it loosely along the shaft so that it can only act as an emergency unlock.
IMG_3590.jpg
IMG_3605.jpg
IMG_3599.jpg
IMG_3603.jpg

IMG_3604.jpg

IMG_3605.jpg
Love your special edition ranger ?

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Gary,
Nice job. I have the identical cover. I've been looking at the possibility for a while, but other projects are more important at the moment. But I like the idea. A LOT!

How did you route the power and ground lines from the tailgate lock to the to the solenoid?

I dislike that the UnderCover top lock is not keyed to the truck lock. My FOB has a single key on it,... to the UnderCover top.

That said, it is a very high quality top!

Tony

OP
OP
GaryA

GaryA

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Gary,
Nice job. I have the identical cover. I've been looking at the possibility for a while, but other projects are more important at the moment. But I like the idea. A LOT!

How did you route the power and ground lines from the tailgate lock to the to the solenoid?

I dislike that the UnderCover top lock is not keyed to the truck lock. My FOB has a single key on it,... to the UnderCover top.

That said, it is a very high quality top!

Tony

OP
OP
GaryA

GaryA

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Wiring was simple. I pulled the tailgate access panel to expose the the wiring harness to the tailgate power lock. It is a short harness that clips to the lock assembly on both ends and under the bumper.

I disconnected it and spliced in a 2 conductor cable on the under bumper connector side and ran the cable and tie wraped them along with other cables to the fender and then up through an existing hole in the bed.

I added a rubber grommet to the hole to protect the cable then ran the cable to the support strut for the topper and cable tied it to the strut. then at the top ran it under the topper carpet to the new locking mechanism. One thing to keep in mind is that the lock works by reversing polarity to lock and unlock so don't make the final connection until you test the the polarity.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Here are a few pictures,

The cable harness I spliced into
IMG_3634.jpg

The Cable run through the bed
IMG_3632.jpg

The Cable under the carpet to the lock
IMG_3633.jpg

TJC

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
93 Miata, 05 Ranger 4x4, 20 Ranger 4x4, 23 CX-5
Gary,

Thanks for the clarification and additional detail. I installed a BedRug in my bed when the UnderCover Top went on. But it shouldn't be too hard finding the hole you used for routing the 2 conductor cable.

Tony
Sponsored