DIY Scab Rear Seat Delete/Dog Backseat Addition

aschm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 SuperCab
r4fidJE.jpg

I built a place for my dog to relax on long road trips. The actual seats were a bit too small for him, so this takes up the leg room in the back too. The cushion is a custom order 52 x 21 x 2" cushion from foamorder.com. My only complaint is that it took nearly 6 weeks to arrive!

NmTbS0w.jpg

The platforms are built out of 3/4" plywood and hook in to where the seat bottoms normally do.

4DTsjwF.jpg

These are the dimensions I used. As you can see in the picture above the tongue on the top right could be slightly bigger as there is a small gap between the two pieces of plywood when installed, and another gap between the plywood and the raised center bit.

The other parts used were:
- Tarp Hook x4, Lowes Part Number 20772, on the backs of each piece of plywood to attach to the anchor points for the seat bottoms
- Cup hook x2, Lowes Part Number 330635, on the bottom of each piece of plywood to connect to the front anchor point for the seat bottoms
- #10*3/4" screws to attach the tarp hooks
- M6x185 washers to lift the tarp hooks off of the plywood for a better angle

DDPlhti.jpg
rYKpx8E.jpg

Sleepy dog on a long road trip. The cushion hadn't arrived yet so I had to squeeze his dog bed back there. After some initial vomiting he mostly slept for the whole trip.

Imgur album: https://imgur.com/a/uRCfASu
Sponsored

2020FX4

First Name
El Jefe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 FX4 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Great set up for the pup on road trips! Nicely done.

FULLSCALE

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 Supercrew, 2011 Mazda 3 Sport GT-E, 1968 Ford Mustang
Nice work, looks like heā€™s enjoying it now!

The Long Ranger

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Supercab XLT 302a 18" PVD Chrome pkg., 15 Focus SE, 65 Falcon Futura Hardtop, 56 Chevy 3100 Shortbed, 05 Pontiac Vibe (700,000 miles), 93 Nissan King Cab, 05 Sebring Limited convertible (Joyride), 17 American Landmaster 450E, wife has some kind of Cadillac
Occupation
HotShot ......no, really
Vehicle Showcase
DDPlhti.jpg
rYKpx8E.jpg

After some initial vomiting he mostly slept for the whole trip.

And who among us hasn't done that?!:beer::whew::crazy::puke::puke::facepalm:

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
Your dog seat looked so awesome I had to build it for my dogs. They are a little bigger so I added front legs attached with hinges. Everything was just taking up space in the garage so, basically free mod. Thanks for the idea and the plans and the dogs appreciate it too.

KIMG0548.JPG

KIMG0561.JPG

KIMG0563.JPG

gbritt89

First Name
Garret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the write up I am going to try and do something like this for my supercab for my doggo that will alternate as a tool storage platform as she does not travel often but when she does it's for lengthy periods.

I_smell_like_diesel

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Self Employed
Thanks for posting this. I'd like to do something along the same lines for my Girlfriends Brittany. Seems like it would make the back of the cab more useful for stashing tools and so on.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
@aschm Nice setup.

Do the panels hinge up? Will your front seats still slide all the way back ?

myothercarizahearse

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX 4x4 w/ GFC V2, 1987 Caddy hearse
Occupation
Unretired
in short, yes and yes. The eye bolt locks in the latch that held the original seat cushion down and just like the seat it lifts up. I pushed the front seat all the way back to get the measurement for the platform so that wouldn't have been an issue. the OP used hooks on the back edge to lock in where the original seat cushion hinged but, I opted to leave that out and it works fine. there is plenty room for 170 pounds worth of dogs to lay down. hope tis helps

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC
I needed to modify the rear seat like the rest of you for my dog and read all the posts above with great ways to handle the issue of no fully flat floor, i didn't want to add any material on top of the storage bins and have to deal with bulky or awkward platform to remove if needed for passengers or cargo when not taking dog with me so i came up the idea of just building up the foot well and scrounged around the house (attic) and found a couple pieces of hard packing Styrofoam.

I first tried a base piece and that wasn't high enough(need approx 6 1/2"height) to level with bin lids then i hot glued a second piece to get correct height, cut out around the back of center console so it fits tight against, picked up a small carpet roll from Lowes and hot glued it to the bases i made. Trimmed it all out and it fits neat & tight. I'm temporarily using a cushion (as seen in the pics) till i can get a proper size foam & material covering. Also it doesn't interfere with the seats sliding back. So I'm happy that she's happy. ?

back floor insert 2.jpg

rear floor insert.jpg

insert1.jpg

insert2.jpg

insert5.jpg

insert6.jpg

insert7.jpg

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
I needed to modify the rear seat like the rest of you for my dog and read all the posts above with great ways to handle the issue of no fully flat floor, i didn't want to add any material on top of the storage bins and have to deal with bulky or awkward platform to remove if needed for passengers or cargo when not taking dog with me so i came up the idea of just building up the foot well and scrounged around the house (attic) and found a couple pieces of hard packing Styrofoam.

I first tried a base piece and that wasn't high enough(need approx 6 1/2"height) to level with bin lids then i hot glued a second piece to get correct height, cut out around the back of center console so it fits tight against, picked up a small carpet roll from Lowes and hot glued it to the bases i made. Trimmed it all out and it fits neat & tight. I'm temporarily using a cushion (as seen in the pics) till i can get a proper size foam & material covering. Also it doesn't interfere with the seats sliding back. So I'm happy that she's happy. ?

back floor insert 2.jpg

rear floor insert.jpg

insert1.jpg

insert2.jpg

insert5.jpg

insert6.jpg

insert7.jpg
Thatā€™s pretty slick Rob. Great re-purposing of that packing foam. ?

Muffin1

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Silver STX 4X4 SC
Thatā€™s pretty slick Rob. Great re-purposing of that packing foam. ?
Hey thanks the only thing that I had to buy was the roll of carpeting, it doesnā€™t have a backing so it ā€˜wrapsā€™ very easy around the hard surfaces, i had the glue gun & sticks and I actually had some carpet pieces leftover from a bass speaker box I made years ago but it was beige color, so I almost had a totally free mod, now just trying to find a better cushion option.

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
r4fidJE.jpg

I built a place for my dog to relax on long road trips. The actual seats were a bit too small for him, so this takes up the leg room in the back too. The cushion is a custom order 52 x 21 x 2" cushion from foamorder.com. My only complaint is that it took nearly 6 weeks to arrive!

NmTbS0w.jpg

The platforms are built out of 3/4" plywood and hook in to where the seat bottoms normally do.

4DTsjwF.jpg

These are the dimensions I used. As you can see in the picture above the tongue on the top right could be slightly bigger as there is a small gap between the two pieces of plywood when installed, and another gap between the plywood and the raised center bit.

- Tarp Hook x4, Lowes Part Number 20772, on the backs of each piece of plywood to attach to the anchor points for the seat bottoms
- Cup hook x2, Lowes Part Number 330635, on the bottom of each piece of plywood to connect to the front anchor point for the seat bottoms

DDPlhti.jpg
rYKpx8E.jpg

Sleepy dog on a long road trip. The cushion hadn't arrived yet so I had to squeeze his dog bed back there. After some initial vomiting he mostly slept for the whole trip.

Imgur album:
Nicely done for the fur baby

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
r4fidJE.jpg

NmTbS0w.jpg

4DTsjwF.jpg

DDPlhti.jpg
rYKpx8E.jpg

Imgur album:
Thanks for your great plans. While I decided to keep the seat bottoms in place, I did use the link you suggested for custom foam.

Our guy is little, so a six-inch thick mattress with Sunbrella fabric should help him see out the windows and also be pretty resistant to his claws. He likes to "dig" as he beds down, so fingers and claws crossed. =D

Thanks again for the fantastic inspiration!

I'll post pics once I get his overpriced bed! In matching teal color to our Wet Okole seats! =D
Sponsored