First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
That's strange because after 15 months mine are still perfect and with my OCD I would've noticed this right away. I agree that your hands leave/have a lot of oils on them,I can see it all over my laptop. I stripped off the dealers "paint sealant" right away and used what I've always used on all my trucks which is Optimum spray wax and Optimum opti-seal.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
303 Aerospace Protectant is probably the best thing to use on any plastics like that. I love the stuff. Acts like a sunscreen for plastics and helps restore the original color. I use it on dashboards, door handles, bed rails, trim, literally anything plastic.
I agree with the 303, best stuff out there. I've been using to for years and the sun out here is like living on the surface of the sun.
The Aerospace protectant is made for plastic, rubber and leather, I wouldn't use it on the door handles, it's a painted surface.

OP
OP
RangerMarc

RangerMarc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2002 Ranger Edge
Occupation
Traffic Signal Technician
I think maybe some people are missing my point here. My truck is only 5 months old and has just over 1100 miles on it. This shouldn't be happening and shouldn't look like this. I have a 2002 Ranger Edge and the door handles still look black, I've also checked quite a few of the fleet vehicles we have at work (all Fords) as well as many vehicles in parking lots and regardless of age others don't look like mine does. Even if I had the greasiest fingers ever it shouldn't look this way after 5 months of ownership. WTF is it going to look like in a year? Or 5 years.? Why should I have to purchase chemicals to fix an issue that just shouldn't be there to begin with?

I do however appreciate all your replies and suggestions because ultimately that might be all I'm left with.

Thanks,
Marc

OP
OP
RangerMarc

RangerMarc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I agree with the 303, best stuff out there. I've been using to for years and the sun out here is like living on the surface of the sun.
The Aerospace protectant is made for plastic, rubber and leather, I wouldn't use it on the door handles, it's a painted surface.
My handles aren't painted. Are not color matched to the paint color (Magnetic Metallic) they are plastic.

OP
OP
RangerMarc

RangerMarc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So, you did not wax them or apply chemicals to them. But did you touch them with your hands?
Seems odd that others are surprised that I have touched my door handles.
No chemicals other than what's on my greasy hands

LightingBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fx4 off-road Larit Supercab (2019)
303 Aerospace Protectant is probably the best thing to use on any plastics like that. I love the stuff. Acts like a sunscreen for plastics and helps restore the original color. I use it on dashboards, door handles, bed rails, trim, literally anything plastic.
I think maybe some people are missing my point here. My truck is only 5 months old and has just over 1100 miles on it. This shouldn't be happening and shouldn't look like this. I have a 2002 Ranger Edge and the door handles still look black, I've also checked quite a few of the fleet vehicles we have at work (all Fords) as well as many vehicles in parking lots and regardless of age others don't look like mine does. Even if I had the greasiest fingers ever it shouldn't look this way after 5 months of ownership. WTF is it going to look like in a year? Or 5 years.? Why should I have to purchase chemicals to fix an issue that just shouldn't be there to begin with?

I do however appreciate all your replies and suggestions because ultimately that might be all I'm left with.

Thanks,
Marc
From what im seeing, and with the handle being an un-coated piece (they didn't spray the texture onto the handle, the texture was part of the mold), the course of action I would take is as follows:

1. Perform a thorough wipe-down with an 80% IPA mixture (80% isopropyl alcohol, 20% distilled water), applied with a terrycloth towel and using firm pressure on all black plastic surfaces on those door handles.

2. Observe if either the texture has been rubbed off from this (unlikely unless there is a materials failure which would be under warranty), and if the problem re-occurs within a short period of time.

3. 303 aerospace protectant is a surface coating and should not be used while you are determining what is happening.

4. If you clean up the problem on the handles which does not reoccur, but find that there is not a solid and deep enough black color remaining that also points to an issue with materials manufacturing based on the age of the plastic. However, an incredibly effective and cheap solution to restore the black color is Solution Finish Black (Amazon link to Solution Finish Black) That is enough product to restore an incredible amount of black plastic). That is safe to use on all of your black plastics (bed rail caps, bumper trim, liners, etc) and also safe on your paint (wipe off any product which gets on your paint with a paper towel).

Again, it appears to be a failure of the plastic to me from the pics, however, cleaning it properly to determine what is happening is key to choosing the solution for what the problem really is.

OP
OP
RangerMarc

RangerMarc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
From what im seeing, and with the handle being an un-coated piece (they didn't spray the texture onto the handle, the texture was part of the mold), the course of action I would take is as follows:

1. Perform a thorough wipe-down with an 80% IPA mixture (80% isopropyl alcohol, 20% distilled water), applied with a terrycloth towel and using firm pressure on all black plastic surfaces on those door handles.

2. Observe if either the texture has been rubbed off from this (unlikely unless there is a materials failure which would be under warranty), and if the problem re-occurs within a short period of time.

3. 303 aerospace protectant is a surface coating and should not be used while you are determining what is happening.

4. If you clean up the problem on the handles which does not reoccur, but find that there is not a solid and deep enough black color remaining that also points to an issue with materials manufacturing based on the age of the plastic. However, an incredibly effective and cheap solution to restore the black color is Solution Finish Black (Amazon link to Solution Finish Black) That is enough product to restore an incredible amount of black plastic). That is safe to use on all of your black plastics (bed rail caps, bumper trim, liners, etc) and also safe on your paint (wipe off any product which gets on your paint with a paper towel).

Again, it appears to be a failure of the plastic to me from the pics, however, cleaning it properly to determine what is happening is key to choosing the solution for what the problem really is.
Thank you for the advise. As stated originally my service advisor at the dealership said he would take a look at it this weekend. He's been a friend since 2002 when I bought my 1st Ranger, so for now I'm not going to try anything.
Thanks again,
Marc

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Seems odd that others are surprised that I have touched my door handles.
No chemicals other than what's on my greasy hands
To clarify, I was not trying to be critical or sarcastic, just wanted to point out that we, all of us, me too, often have oils, natural and otherwise, including grease, sunblock, insect repellent, etc. on our hands, and that this can contribute to degrading paint and other parts. Of course, we pretty much have to open the doors from outside with the handles, but I take pains to close them with some body part (elbow, forearm, etc.) other than hands for that reason.

Shadowdraxx

First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport
Occupation
Bum
thanks mate thats the ticket!

SuperBford

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT
Occupation
education
Thank you for the advise. As stated originally my service advisor at the dealership said he would take a look at it this weekend. He's been a friend since 2002 when I bought my 1st Ranger, so for now I'm not going to try anything.
Thanks again,
Marc
Look forward to hearing what you find out.

Cheers

OP
OP
RangerMarc

RangerMarc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
To clarify, I was not trying to be critical or sarcastic, just wanted to point out that we, all of us, me too, often have oils, natural and otherwise, including grease, sunblock, insect repellent, etc. on our hands, and that this can contribute to degrading paint and other parts. Of course, we pretty much have to open the doors from outside with the handles, but I take pains to close them with some body part (elbow, forearm, etc.) other than hands for that reason.
I wasn't upset or offended by anything you said. I too close my doors with something other than my hands for the same reasons. My girlfriend on the other hand not so much...
I appreciate your input.
Thanks,
Marc

Dr.Me

First Name
Daven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I ceramic coated it and haven't noticed any discoloring on mines, but back on my other cars that didn't have ceramic, I just used some off the shelf black trim restoration kit and they work pretty good.

Jersey Devil

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
machinist
My handles were like that before i even test drove it. I just assumed it was from the dealers young attendant washing and waxing it every weekend with whatever they use and not paying attention to different surfaces. Kinda like when armor all was the go to stuff and dam be the surface that didn't like it. My PT door sills also had a similar problem. I just ended up using a tire blackener on it routinely. Probably no quick fix on this one. Just maintenance.

LightingBlue

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fx4 off-road Larit Supercab (2019)
Thanks again,
Marc
Well? What did your friend say? Curious how this was resolved by a dealership.

OP
OP
RangerMarc

RangerMarc

First Name
Marc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well? What did your friend say? Curious how this was resolved by a dealership.
He stood me up.! He couldn't make it by to look so I'm supposed to go by the dealership hopefully Friday. Will post an update as soon as I have an answer.
Thanks,
Marc
Sponsored