port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
I experienced the same thing. I simply "trained" the cable to fold to the other side of the strongarm.
It took only a couple of minutes to repeatedly fold the cable to the inside as I closed it.
I did this about 8 or 10 times and it now goes that way naturally.
Stop being competent!
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Has anyone noticed any kinks in their tailgate cable on the damper side? I've had mine on for a long time, and today noticed a kink in the cable, on the damper side, and the cable is slack. The opposite side is taut. Don't like this.
When I slowly closed the tailgate it seemed the cable was kinking at the damper shaft/cylinder area, which is about the center of the cable as seen in the pic. I'm sure there is only one way to install it, but now am wondering if the cable kinking is a design flaw or something else and happens every time you close the tailgate.

Tailgate.JPG
I used a velcro tie on the cable to guide it around the damper so it doesn't get pinched between the damper and the body. Add some black tape below it so it doesn't move and you're gtg.

Velcro_Tailgate Strap.jpg

Last edited:

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone noticed any kinks in their tailgate cable on the damper side? I've had mine on for a long time, and today noticed a kink in the cable, on the damper side, and the cable is slack. The opposite side is taut. Don't like this.
When I slowly closed the tailgate it seemed the cable was kinking at the damper shaft/cylinder area, which is about the center of the cable as seen in the pic. I'm sure there is only one way to install it, but now am wondering if the cable kinking is a design flaw or something else and happens every time you close the tailgate.

Tailgate.JPG
Don't know why anybody would have such wimpy wires for tailgate support...use these from a 1962 F100 series, never have to worry about kinks, just some scale/rust...:angel:

1611783274831.png

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I used a velcro tie on the cable to guide it around the damper so it doesn't get pinched between the damper and the body. Add some black tape below it so it doesn't move and you're gtg.

Velcro_Tailgate Strap.jpg
Thanks for the idea and I'm going to give this a try. Just noticed in the one week of damper ownership that my tailgate cable was getting roughed up by the damper.
Sponsored