Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
Human ressources
Hey Mike,

Thanks, it’s a good thought and it would have worked on a older Ranger I once had. It was a 1991 with one of those toppers that are super high in the back end. My current topper is too low profile for what you suggest. With this one, I have to lower the saddle to get my bike in. I also thought of the 1/2 slider but I really need all the space between the wheel wells and enough headroom to sit up.

BedSlide makes something along the lines of what I want but the units are a bit shallow and you also need their bottom sliding unit.

67F03B1C-FB75-4DB7-B989-ED3E916D6C8D.jpeg

It’s closer to what I’d like but it’s just not cutting it for me - that’s why I’m thinking of a custom setup.
Ther is truckvault too… different heights, 6, 8 and 10 inch, not much lost space. Amazing but quite expensive, to say the least …
Sponsored

XL_Ranger_Danger

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL Ranger, (Previously 1976 Series III 109)
Occupation
Project Manager
I'm currently running a Softopper on my '21 XL SuperCab with a decked system. More of a budget system; but saving up for a Four Wheel Camper in the long term.
It's a tad tight, but at the price it's a decent trade-off

Pics below
PXL_20210501_012019549.jpg

PXL_20210515_031605736.NIGHT.jpg

PXL_20210521_211625068.jpg
PXL_20210507_082739961 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
------2011 Ford Ranger XL 2.3L Manual Scab
Occupation
--Machinist
Will hopefully get my RSI installed at weekend and will post pics

I've removed my rack and decked system in preparation. Thought it might be useful for those considering decked to see how much space you lose and how much junk gets in bed (3 months, garaged every night). I'm really not sure why they made the ammo cans so small (I'm sure there was a reason), but they could have been at least 50% bigger. The drawers could have been a lot wider: look at the wasted space between wheel well and drawers. Make me thing they just build a new "fitting kit" around components for a truck with much less usable space.

I still like it, but thought these pix would be useful

Mark

Decked No Cover Side.jpeg

Decked No Cover.jpeg

Decked removed.jpeg
How long did it take you to remove the Decked system. Any issues. Would like to remove it to load motorcycles in the bed once in a while.

Reactions: Doc

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
How long did it take you to remove the Decked system. Any issues. Would like to remove it to load motorcycles in the bed once in a while.
probably about 20 minutes. the only issue is that the rubber and plastic washers on the bolts are pretty trashed. You'd lose some waterproofing over time

TremorOwner

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor
Can you fit a rifle in those drawers length-wise? I'd imagine surely a standard hunting rifle but I'm talking my precision rifles... 26" barrels, etc. That would be sweet to foam the inside of these drawers and not have to carry around my Pelican case. All I would need after that is a little speaker that goes "pssshhhhh" and then plays the Halo theme whenever the drawers open.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
I see the Decked system is very generic and not specifically made for the Ranger. A lot of inaccessible space that you cannot get to on the sides. At least they offer a 6' version for the Scab.
On the Scab Decked system the open space in front of the rear wheel is covered up. I may go with a ARB cabinet. After researching them, they only come in a maximum 5' length. I figure you could still load a motorcycle in the bed beside the one cabinet. I am not wanting to sleep in the bed. The open space around the ARB cabinet could be accessed to store more gear. That's what I like about the 5G site. I can see photo's and opinion's that are not available on vendor sites and make my mind up of what will work for my application.

ARBDrawerSystempick-up0710_058-352x332.jpg

FlyingMonkey435

First Name
RJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Trapper
I really like the idea of a half-width drawer system and considered ARB, but their use of partial board is a no go for me. Front Runner and Truck Vault both have a half-width drawer, but the cost compared to a Decked system is just too big of a hurdle for me.

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
I really like the idea of a half-width drawer system and considered ARB, but their use of partial board is a no go for me. Front Runner and Truck Vault both have a half-width drawer, but the cost compared to a Decked system is just too big of a hurdle for me.
Yes, the Decked system is good Value compared to other makes. 1 large ARB drawer is $1K

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
Indeed. An equivalent ARB system would be about $3K and AFAIK, useless if you have an open pickup

XL_Ranger_Danger

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL Ranger, (Previously 1976 Series III 109)
Occupation
Project Manager
Can you fit a rifle in those drawers length-wise? I'd imagine surely a standard hunting rifle but I'm talking my precision rifles... 26" barrels, etc. That would be sweet to foam the inside of these drawers and not have to carry around my Pelican case. All I would need after that is a little speaker that goes "pssshhhhh" and then plays the Halo theme whenever the drawers open.
I haven't tried myself, but I would imagine so.. also this is hands down the best comment on this tread!

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
Hey, Decked can you make the New Design for the next Gen Ranger with equal width Drawers Please. Do like good Engineering and the Decked System is well thought out. Just needs refinement for the increasing Ford Ranger popularity.

Someone was asking about the Decked rubber washers. Just go to a Hardware store with a sample.

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Software Developer
Hey, Decked can you make the New Design for the next Gen Ranger with equal width Drawers Please. Do like good Engineering and the Decked System is well thought out. Just needs refinement for the increasing Ford Ranger popularity.

Someone was asking about the Decked rubber washers. Just go to a Hardware store with a sample.
I don't think that's a good idea: you'd get two skinny drawers. What they SHOULD do IMHO is
  • make drawers with vertical sides (the sloping sides waste a ton of space)
  • make the ammo cans much bigger: tons of wasted space between can and wheel well

Scooter

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
--Machinist
I don't think that's a good idea: you'd get two skinny drawers. What they SHOULD do IMHO is
  • make drawers with vertical sides (the sloping sides waste a ton of space)
  • make the ammo cans much bigger: tons of wasted space between can and wheel well
I meant two large Drawers. Another good point about better utilization of space. I did not know the drawers sides were not vertical

dondonbabyraptor

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
I/O Psych MSc student
Budget decked. Requires a bit more “manual work” to get to things but I’m poor from other mods. Plus, throw a memory queen size memory foam mattress on top and fits my camping needs which is what I needed it for. Cost 60$ of wood and an hour of time. Hahaha. Posted it here so all you fancy decked users can laugh ?

E9A091BF-867E-4BAA-9EC7-AA04756CC8DA.jpeg
Sponsored