DECKED System. Higher Tie Downs?

Navyboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariot
Is anyone running the DECKED system on their trucks?
I'm interested in it, but the Core trax that DECKED sells don't have the load rating I would want for strapping stuff down like an ATV, plus they are super narrow, not all the way out to the sides.

Is there enough room on the system to still get at the factory tie downs?
Has anyone tried mounting heavier duty tie-downs to the DECKED system, even just some D rings at the edges?
Sponsored

Jason@Stage3

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.stage3motorsports.com
Vehicle(s)
2011 F150 5.0L
Occupation
Web Team Overlord
I'm interested in it, but the Core trax that DECKED sells don't have the load rating I would want for strapping stuff down like an ATV, plus they are super narrow, not all the way out to the sides.

Has anyone tried mounting heavier duty tie-downs to the DECKED system, even just some D rings at the edges?
If you remove the ammo cans in the corners, you can still get to the OEM tie downs, though it'll be tough to get to them with an ATV in the bed.

ldr01rl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase

Just add tie down rails for multiple positions. Here's a photo of the Decked in my Ranger. If recommended Bull Ring retractable tie downs. Core Trax would get in the way of a load against the rails

42792-75ec76bfcc89a2a71c16e9316151cef0.jpg

Last edited:

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pmiyoshiphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback16, Ford Ranger 11
Occupation
ā­ tender
Vehicle Showcase

So I donā€™t really need to strap anything down thatā€™s gonna be heavy duty, but I moved up the metal tie downs (closest to the the cab) further up so now itā€™s above the decked system. I had to widen the hole in the tie down to match The existing mounting holes, I also installed security style button head screws. I used a dremel with a diamond cutting bit to widen hole.
As far as the rear of the bed, weā€™ll Iā€™m still trying to figure out a method.

E3809782-112D-4686-96D8-A2DC3AF27AF9.jpeg

7533FC0E-F65B-417F-A021-C2C2D5CF701B.jpeg

Legalkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat FX4 Sport, 1994 XLT, 1979 F-100
Got these in anticipation for Decked (Which I just ordered today). Got two to test. We usually don't have heavy loads, so should be sufficient for our needs. The whole thing is pretty substantial, and the weakest part is the actual bed rail of the truck.
IMG_20200517_163627719.jpg
IMG_20200517_163619604.jpg

PatrickM

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.pmiyoshiphoto.com
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback16, Ford Ranger 11
Occupation
ā­ tender
Vehicle Showcase
Got these in anticipation for Decked (Which I just ordered today). Got two to test. We usually don't have heavy loads, so should be sufficient for our needs. The whole thing is pretty substantial, and the weakest part is the actual bed rail of the truck.
IMG_20200517_163627719.jpg
IMG_20200517_163619604.jpg
Oh cool so is that drilled into the rail???

Legalkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No just a clamp
And my wife made me put a felt tab on the metal clamp part underneath to prevent cutting into the rail with metal to metal. It actually is holding. I will post pics when I install decked. Hopefully we just keep them off until needed (guess we can store in the side cans), but not too awkward looking on.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired

Ever heard of a "Headache Rack"? I hadn't until we moved to Colorado in 2004. They are popular with folks in the oil fields.

Basically it's made from structural angle and bolts to the top of the bed rail. It has a panel that runs across the back window. Local fab shops here make them or you can buy them commercially too. If your hauling big heavy items, like your ATV, it provides excellent tie down points and if you have an accident it keeps the heavy items from coming through the cab and injuring the vehicle occupants.

A guy I worked with wrecked his truck with a heavy load in the back. Totalled the truck. They speculate he would have been crushed had it not been for the headache rack.

http://onesourceventures.com/headacheracks.php

Last edited:

ldr01rl

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, I'm originally from Colorado. We had headache racks for work trucks. I've seen loads go right thru the back window without them.

Legalkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Our First bed load after installing Decked. The tie hooks we bought (above) worked perfectly (though we only had 2 cause we forgot to pack the other 4 we bought). You can reach the oem hooks at the tailgate end fine too, which is what we did. The load did not move an inch for a 40 mile trip.

Though I was concerned about hauling the cabinets since the Bed surface is higher, the decked system actually let us fit the boxes better since the entire bed area is flat over the tire wells. The bed is deep enough that there is still decent sidewall to secure loads against. Without the decked we may not have been able to get the whole load in one trip with the ease and less risk of damage that we did. It all stayed flat and secure.

I bought D rings I want to install in the existing holes in the bed at the cab end and the tailgate end (used for the swing boxes) for additional tie options.

So we are more than happy with the versatility Decked gives us.

IMG_20200613_151259492_HDR.jpg

Legalkill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We put in the D rings. Had issues identifying bolt size, mainly due to bed liner over spray. Turned out better than expected. Top holes by cab used M8x20. Top holes on tailgate end, used M6x20. Painted with spray can bedliner. No rattles heard when driving.
IMG_20200614_162855928.jpg
IMG_20200614_161938907.jpg
IMG_20200614_193920886.jpg
IMG_20200614_161911698.jpg
IMG_20200614_162901098.jpg
IMG_20200614_185345594.jpg

Last edited:

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
I got the decked system, Not overly impressed.

You lose a LOT of space. Probably 50% (esp around ammo cans: tons of dead space)

You lose access to tie downs

Got 2 x crossbox. Put one at back of wide drawer, When i got to destination it had toipped up and couldn't open drawer, had the take off the metal strip 9with ruler, etc.) using hex wrence and all the bolts on one side of deck. luckily the guy I was visiting had the tools needed. Now I have to carry hex wrench and socket set in cab everywhere.

mark_anderson_us

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 2020
Occupation
Software Developer
I removed my decked system today, to get ready for RSI smartcap install. Here's a pic of how much space you lose and how much garbage gets in bed in 3 months (garaged every night)

I still like it, but thought it my be informative for some to see usable/lost space

Decked No Cover Side.jpeg

Decked No Cover.jpeg

Decked removed.jpeg

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I removed my decked system today, to get ready for RSI smartcap install. Here's a pic of how much space you lose and how much garbage gets in bed in 3 months (garaged every night)

I still like it, but thought it my be informative for some to see usable/lost space

Decked No Cover Side.jpeg

Decked No Cover.jpeg

Decked removed.jpeg
Those photo's are great at showing the unusable space.

Did you have a tonneau cover or something similar, or was the bed just open?

Thanks!
Sponsored