Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
- Draftsman
Navigation - turn right here? :shock:
Don't have nav. Might be lane assist. I'll check when I get to my truck at lunch.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Ranger_Pawl

Ranger_Pawl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
- Draftsman

dano42

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Ranger Lariat Tremor, 2018 BMW X5
Occupation
Retired!
The lane assist feature is totally worthless IMO and almost dangerous- but the cost of its development is added into the price of the truck, unfortunately.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I rarely ever used mine as I found more dangerous than helpful. I accidently turned mine on a couple of time and the vibrating steering wheel surprised me. I used it with active assist on a trip once . I went to go around an 18 wheeler pulling off the road and had a fight with the steering wheel. I didn't use it again after that.
Yes, with active assist activated it will fight you if you try to pull out of your lane without putting your turn signal on. Putting your turn signal on temporarily deactivates the assist.

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
y'all know that you don't have to fight the lane assist at the steering wheel if you use your blinker before you change lanes, right?

I have the lane assist on all the time and find that it works just fine. the only time it gets a bit weird is if there are extraneous lines on the pavement. such as the paint crew being a bit sloppy, or something heavy gouged a line in the pavement, or somesuch. and yeah, I have to hold steady in those situations, but I know it happens and expect it, so it's not a big deal.

though the warning light is pretty clear that it's somehow related to lane keeping, I find it odd that the warning light is on when the other lane keeping display is showing everything in order. green on the left (meaning the system detects the left lane marker and you've got plenty of room) and the right side shows nothing (meaning the system doesn't detect a line on the right side within its detection range).

I'd try turning the lane system off entirely from the button on the stalk to see what happens. it should turn the light off.

I'm suspecting that it's indicating an actual problem with the system. I think it uses the forward-facing camera behind the rearview mirror (the one involved in forward collision detection). is the windshield clean up there?

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
y'all know that you don't have to fight the lane assist at the steering wheel if you use your blinker before you change lanes, right?

I have the lane assist on all the time and find that it works just fine. the only time it gets a bit weird is if there are extraneous lines on the pavement. such as the paint crew being a bit sloppy, or something heavy gouged a line in the pavement, or somesuch. and yeah, I have to hold steady in those situations, but I know it happens and expect it, so it's not a big deal.

though the warning light is pretty clear that it's somehow related to lane keeping, I find it odd that the warning light is on when the other lane keeping display is showing everything in order. green on the left (meaning the system detects the left lane marker and you've got plenty of room) and the right side shows nothing (meaning the system doesn't detect a line on the right side within its detection range).

I'd try turning the lane system off entirely from the button on the stalk to see what happens. it should turn the light off.

I'm suspecting that it's indicating an actual problem with the system. I think it uses the forward-facing camera behind the rearview mirror (the one involved in forward collision detection). is the windshield clean up there?
I know about using the turn signal with lane assist, I am a turn signal fanatic. When trying to do an evasive maneuver, active lane keeping creates a dangerous situation.

Jason B

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XL STX SE 4x2
Occupation
machinist
"The lane departure light means the vehicle is detected to be moving out of its current lane without signaling. It may assist to keep you in your lane."

I bet BMW's don't have that warning light.:LOL:

CB750F

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru BRZ / SCAB Ranger XLT/FX4 & various motos
Occupation
Human
Up to now there is only 1 thing I really hated on this truck & it was
when I had the lane assist on. Thank God we can turn it off.

OP
OP
Ranger_Pawl

Ranger_Pawl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
- Draftsman
So I checked it out at lunch, and went straight to the end of the turn signal stalk, and found the little (previously ignored) switch, and flipped it off. The indicator no longer comes on. I probably accidently turned it on, because although I don't remember it, I probably turned it off shortly after getting the truck.

Ranger5g comes thru again. Thanks. :thumbsup:

Kristina

First Name
Kristina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6G Raptor week 40, Wildtrak `22 2.0 diesel - sold
Yep, lots of sources for the answer. I thought I'd try an easy source before attacking a couple hundred pages of the manual.
Just curious, you do have digital manuals and OM in Ford app? Not this thick book?

OP
OP
Ranger_Pawl

Ranger_Pawl

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Supercab
Occupation
- Draftsman
Just curious, you do have digital manuals and OM in Ford app? Not this thick book?
Yea, when I say a couple hundred pages, I mean electronically. I thought I'd ask here because this is my socialization. :)

Max Crafter

Banned
Banned
First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Occupation
Retired
I know about using the turn signal with lane assist, I am a turn signal fanatic. When trying to do an evasive maneuver, active lane keeping creates a dangerous situation.
then you turn down the vibration intensity on the aid portion. you have three settings.
leave it on alert only and it wont even try and do anything with your steering.

Its a great system, if you set it up and use it the way you desire.

navsnipe

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 Ranger FX4 Lariat (totaled), 23 Audi Q5
Occupation
Automating Buildings and confusing humans
then you turn down the vibration intensity on the aid portion. you have three settings.
leave it on alert only and it wont even try and do anything with your steering.

Its a great system, if you set it up and use it the way you desire.
No kidding. Read what I said.