Damn! I scratched my 5" Running board (passenger)! Need advice on how to remove paint

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Orange SuperCrew FX4 Trailer Tow 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I drove into my garage and my running board hit the garage door on the passenger side. See three photos. It torned off the rear cap. I ordered a new right side rear cap for the running board but want to know how to remove the white paint safely. Thanks.
IMG_1640.jpeg
IMG_1639.jpeg
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I drove into my garage and my running board hit the garage door on the passenger side. See three photos. It torned off the rear cap. I ordered a new right side rear cap for the running board but want to know how to remove the white paint safely. Thanks.
IMG_1640.jpeg
IMG_1639.jpeg
If the garage door paint is latex,try a sponge and some warm water it should just come off with a little elbow grease. If you have a Scotch Brite pad that should help too but don't rub to hard with that side of it just enough to loosen up the paint than use the smooth sponge side to clean it up. If it's an oil based paint a little paint thinner (not lacquer) should loosen it up but don't rub to hard or it could damage the running board finish.

I did something similar years ago with one of my work vans. Was squeezing into a tight garage at an angle at caught the side of the van on the door jamb. The paint did come off after a lot of scrubbing. Just keep it nice and wet when you're scrubbing it off. Good Luck!

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
If the garage door paint is latex,try a sponge and some warm water it should just come off with a little elbow grease. If you have a Scotch Brite pad that should help too but don't rub to hard with that side of it just enough to loosen up the paint than use the smooth sponge side to clean it up. If it's an oil based paint a little paint thinner (not lacquer) should loosen it up but don't rub to hard or it could damage the running board finish.

I did something similar years ago with one of my work vans. Was squeezing into a tight garage at an angle at caught the side of the van on the door jamb. The paint did come off after a lot of scrubbing. Just keep it nice and wet when you're scrubbing it off. Good Luck!
IMG_1640.jpeg
IMG_1639.jpeg
Hi David,

Sorry you bruised your truck.... Here is a trick from my Artist wife if acrylic/latex paint. Use rubbing alcohol, best to get the 91% strength at Walgreens. It comes right off with gently rubbing of a saturated rag over the paint. Should not harm the running board but test in a discrete place to be sure. I biffed my side mirror on the garage door seal on the passenger side. The alcohol took it off without damaging the mirror finish. I tested Acetone and that was harmful to the finish... JMO!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

OP
OP
aslusers

aslusers

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Orange SuperCrew FX4 Trailer Tow 302A
Vehicle Showcase
Hi David,

Sorry you bruised your truck.... Here is a trick from my Artist wife if acrylic/latex paint. Use rubbing alcohol, best to get the 91% strength at Walgreens. It comes right off with gently rubbing of a saturated rag over the paint. Should not harm the running board but test in a discrete place to be sure. I biffed my side mirror on the garage door seal on the passenger side. The alcohol took it off without damaging the mirror finish. I tested Acetone and that was harmful to the finish... JMO!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Wow! It is a magic elixir! It works!! Wow! So thrilled! Thank you and thank you again.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
IMG_1640.jpeg
IMG_1639.jpeg
I would just put a chrome strip around the edge. I didn't have a problem with mine but I added a chrome strip around the edge of the Tyger Blade running boards

OEM selling

unnam.jpg

20200426_181036.jpg

20191214_132949.jpg

Last edited:

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E