Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4, 2018 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer/Former Marine
Hi Jim,

Reeks of supplier quality problems....Ford SQA should be on it to get it resolved so no contamination gets into the final product... So far so good for my 2019 Ranger....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil - I agree. My 2020 so far has not shown any problems. Checked the roof yesterday!
Sponsored

OP
OP
cory1848

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Sport
Occupation
Sports Photographer
Today I had the roof rail replaced due to the paint defects. All is well now with that with one exception.

They had to remove the headliner to replace the rail. I dont think they installed it back together correctly as the dome light area of the liner seems to sag and has a lot of play to it. I can push it up about an inch or so before hitting the roof. I didnt notice this before. Should there be some kind of clip or other attachment keeping this snug to the roof?

I can't find any attachment points on the replacement parts diagram for this but cant imagine it is supposed to be this loose.

Can anyone verify for me on their rangers if they can move the headliner near the dome light? Appreciate it.

Last edited:

Okie19724

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED
I have seen some complaints about paint chipping and flaking with dings, but I have an area on the drivers side passenger roof rail that is peeling and lifting. No idea how this could have happened other than if being a defect. It is bubbling and lifting.

Would this be something covered under warranty? Or is this an easily replaceable part? Truck bought July 2019 and have 30k on it.

Thanks

paintpeeling.jpg
yes I have a black 2019 ranger XLT, noticed round spots all over except the tailgate, had a dent on passenger door with peeling paint, had the dent and ding warranty, so that was covered. First, I contacted the ford customer service and received an email, saying she would work with me and to take it to my dealership for an inspection, only have 4267 miles on my truck. Took it in gave them an email copy, the service rep took around 26+ pics and sent them to Ford corporation, still waiting for the yeah or nah, service rep said would send truck to third party to fix the dent and rest of truck when approved, to take care of all of it.....my backup is to see if I can turn it into my insurance and have them charge Ford to pay for it as it is a paint defect, someone dropped the ball on inspection...I love my ranger and do baby it a lot...have had it a little over a year....hope this helps.....

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
It's not so much a rail. Mainly there as a decorative piece to cover up the weld where the roof skin is attached to the rest of the body.
I'd be very happy with something steel and body color matched.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Today I had the roof rail replaced due to the paint defects. All is well now with that with one exception.

They had to remove the headliner to replace the rail. I dont think they installed it back together correctly as the dome light area of the liner seems to sag and has a lot of play to it. I can push it up about an inch or so before hitting the roof. I didnt notice this before. Should there be some kind of clip or other attachment keeping this snug to the roof?

I can't find any attachment points on the replacement parts diagram for this but cant imagine it is supposed to be this loose.

Can anyone verify for me on their rangers if they can move the headliner near the dome light? Appreciate it.
This worries me. Sometimes repair work screws up something else.
I'd like to see how it's done since I'm considering adding soundproofing to the roof maybe.

OP
OP
cory1848

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sports Photographer
This worries me. Sometimes repair work screws up something else.
I'd like to see how it's done since I'm considering adding soundproofing to the roof maybe.
There is an attachment point. Glued to the liner just behind the light with the other end a magnet to the roof. Still waiting to get mine fixed.

A6580E70-6E45-40BE-8A47-8DEDC051C52D.jpeg

Kmac200

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, Lariat RWD
Occupation
Sr. IT Manager
I have seen some complaints about paint chipping and flaking with dings, but I have an area on the drivers side passenger roof rail that is peeling and lifting. No idea how this could have happened other than if being a defect. It is bubbling and lifting.

Would this be something covered under warranty? Or is this an easily replaceable part? Truck bought July 2019 and have 30k on it.

Thanks

paintpeeling.jpg
I didnt see any impact damage, it really only seems to be this end rail piece. Just seems like a defect in the paint. Here is another closer view where you can see the bubbling.
paintpeeling2.jpg
Not sure what the outcome with warranty was on this, but I have the exact same issue on my 2019 Lariat. Plan on discussing with Dealer this week during a scheduled oil change.

ranger paint chipping.jpg

OP
OP
cory1848

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sports Photographer
Not sure what the outcome with warranty was on this, but I have the exact same issue on my 2019 Lariat. Plan on discussing with Dealer this week during a scheduled oil change.

ranger paint chipping.jpg
It was covered 100% under part replacement. Don't let them send it off to the body shop. Also make sure they dont damage your headliner when installing it. They are supposed to remove the headliner and my dealer cheated and only removed one side and pulled it down causing the center mount to rip off. Still waiting on getting that resolved.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
IMG_20210204_170617923_HDR.jpg
IMG_20210204_170607367.jpg

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Crap, now I have to go out and look at mine... Stupid truck has 37,500 miles on it. Looks like I'll just be cleaning it good and painting it with something to keep the air out...

OP
OP
cory1848

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sports Photographer
Crap, now I have to go out and look at mine... Stupid truck has 37,500 miles on it. Looks like I'll just be cleaning it good and painting it with something to keep the air out...
Paint is good for 5 years/unlimited miles for warranty.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Paint is good for 5 years/unlimited miles for warranty.
If you're referring to the corrosion warranty, it's only valid if the body panel is see through before the time limit is up.

ClatorKid

First Name
Maury
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I’ve had 1 set of rails replaced under warranty for a 2019 Ranger and paint is peeling again on one of the replacements. Dealer will replace the rail for $600+. That’s probably throwing good money after bad. Gonna try a body shop.

MathGod

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Platinum Lariat
Occupation
Educator
Mine has been peeling for over a year now and it started on one side and finally went to the other side, too.
I bought rustoleum black paint and put it over the aluminum and it has not peeled off.

I never wanted to chance the Cab leaking.
Sponsored