First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Sport
Occupation
Sports Photographer
I have seen some complaints about paint chipping and flaking with dings, but I have an area on the drivers side passenger roof rail that is peeling and lifting. No idea how this could have happened other than if being a defect. It is bubbling and lifting.

Would this be something covered under warranty? Or is this an easily replaceable part? Truck bought July 2019 and have 30k on it.

Thanks

paintpeeling.jpg
Sponsored

Azriq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 FORD RANGER XLT SUPERCREW, 1966 FORD MUSTANG 331 STROKER, 2010 MERCURY GRAND MARQUIS
It's hard to say without viewing in person, but that could very well be bird droppings that remained there and ate through the paint. Depending on what bird diet was, the droppings can be high in acid. Murder on paint if not removed right away.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have seen some complaints about paint chipping and flaking with dings, but I have an area on the drivers side passenger roof rail that is peeling and lifting. No idea how this could have happened other than if being a defect. It is bubbling and lifting.

Would this be something covered under warranty? Or is this an easily replaceable part? Truck bought July 2019 and have 30k on it.

Thanks

paintpeeling.jpg
Hi Cory,

Try the dealer service....it has signs of being a defective trip piece as actual damage in the area would likely have been across the seam between the forward and rear piece. Should be warrantied in my opinion. I have seen things like this when a haulaway driver drops a chain but i see no deformation like a chain drop...

Sad to see something like this....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
FWIW if it's not a warranty repair:

My wife's hardtop on her Wrangler is Black. It's made from some sort of plastic molded in white.

There are numerous small areas that have the black rubbed / chipped off. I touch it up with a black King Size Sharpie marker.

OP
OP
cory1848

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sports Photographer
FWIW if it's not a warranty repair:

My wife's hardtop on her Wrangler is Black. It's made from some sort of plastic molded in white.

There are numerous small areas that have the black rubbed / chipped off. I touch it up with a black King Size Sharpie marker.
This area is much larger than what a sharpie or even a touch up pen would fix.

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
That's a real shame - if they don't warranty that for you and you're up to the task, it might be easier/faster to order new inserts. Installation involves peeling back the headliner and removing a couple of bolts but it's an option. You could also remove them and take them to a body shop to sand, prime, and paint. Or, you could take care of it yourself but it requires professional grade primer and paint.

It sucks that this happened to your truck. Post an update on the warranty request so others can be guided by your experience. Good luck!

OP
OP
cory1848

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sports Photographer
Hi Cory,

Try the dealer service....it has signs of being a defective trip piece as actual damage in the area would likely have been across the seam between the forward and rear piece. Should be warrantied in my opinion. I have seen things like this when a haulaway driver drops a chain but i see no deformation like a chain drop...

Sad to see something like this....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
I didnt see any impact damage, it really only seems to be this end rail piece. Just seems like a defect in the paint. Here is another closer view where you can see the bubbling.
paintpeeling2.jpg

OP
OP
cory1848

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sports Photographer
That's a real shame - if they don't warranty that for you and you're up to the task, it might be easier/faster to order new inserts. Installation involves peeling back the headliner and removing a couple of bolts but it's an option. You could also remove them and take them to a body shop to sand, prime, and paint. Or, you could take care of it yourself but it requires professional grade primer and paint.

It sucks that this happened to your truck. Post an update on the warranty request so others can be guided by your experience. Good luck!
Thanks, I have an appt for another issue on the 28th so I will tack this onto their work request. This is stuff that I would expect happening on a 6-8 year old vehicle. Not 1.5 years old. If this speaks for Ford quality, it may be my last Ford.

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
That is definitely a paint defect. Lots of corrosion under the paint in that last picture.

rang19ca

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 2024 Escape ST-Line
Occupation
Retired Diesel Mechanic
Yup, that is corrosion under the paint. My 2008 Mustang did that on the underside of the hood. I just scraped it off and used touch up paint. I would try the dealer first though on your issue.

JKocot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4, 2018 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer/Former Marine
I didnt see any impact damage, it really only seems to be this end rail piece. Just seems like a defect in the paint. Here is another closer view where you can see the bubbling.
paintpeeling2.jpg
If that is aluminum then Ford covers it for 5 years. I just went thru this with the hood on my wife's Explorer Sport.
1nzkN+odQD6V7R21dKoiCw.jpg

nDn9DyB%Su2pg0aay2MHWQ.jpg
bpKEcpW1R7GDc5dZPTZFLA.jpg

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks, I have an appt for another issue on the 28th so I will tack this onto their work request. This is stuff that I would expect happening on a 6-8 year old vehicle. Not 1.5 years old. If this speaks for Ford quality, it may be my last Ford.
I agree. On a well-used, older truck, yes! I've seen this kind of thing on the small trim piece on the window sill of my 2001 Ranger - there was tiny crack in the paint after a crazy hail storm ($10,000 damage to my Lexus' roof, hood and glass - neighbour's BMW was written off). It made the insurance industry here cry for weeks! My Ranger was fine except for that small trim piece that had a tiny ding but it started to peel and corrode from salt over the next five/six years) I firmly believe "Built Ford Tough" is a real thing. I'm certain this is an anomaly and that your Ranger will serve you well for many years. I've owned a 1991, a 1996, a 2001, and now my 2019. I'm a believer.

I really don't think your issue is typical of Ford quality - I think they were scratched at some point and then, nature took over. Fingers crossed! ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
cory1848

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sports Photographer
I'm curious why that rail is 2 pieces.

why not one longer piece?

just a problem spot begging for problems
I wonder why there is even a rail at all... Since Ford doesn't make a rack for the ranger and any aftermarket rack has to be drilled through the roof, what purpose is it there for?

Dahveed

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x4 / 2020 Ford Edge ST-Line
Occupation
Pharmacy Consultant
I wonder why there is even a rail at all... Since Ford doesn't make a rack for the ranger and any aftermarket rack has to be drilled through the roof, what purpose is it there for?
It's not so much a rail. Mainly there as a decorative piece to cover up the weld where the roof skin is attached to the rest of the body.
Sponsored