First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Television Producer
I have seen some complaints about paint chipping and flaking with dings, but I have an area on the drivers side passenger roof rail that is peeling and lifting. No idea how this could have happened other than if being a defect. It is bubbling and lifting.

Would this be something covered under warranty? Or is this an easily replaceable part? Truck bought July 2019 and have 30k on it.

Thanks

paintpeeling.jpg
I have seen some complaints about paint chipping and flaking with dings, but I have an area on the drivers side passenger roof rail that is peeling and lifting. No idea how this could have happened other than if being a defect. It is bubbling and lifting.

Would this be something covered under warranty? Or is this an easily replaceable part? Truck bought July 2019 and have 30k on it.

Iā€™ve had the same issue with my 2019 as well. I asked about it the last time I was having service at the Quick Lane and they are going to cover it. They gave me no trouble at all. Unfortunately, itā€™s a body issue and they must send it off to the body shop for a few days in order to drop the headliner and replace the entire part.

8D84E981-E0F9-4955-A987-B2B9A3788597.jpeg

Last edited:

pozi240

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco WildTrak (on order), 2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 2019 Ford Mustang GT
Occupation
Military (Ret'd)
If that is aluminum then Ford covers it for 5 years. I just went thru this with the hood on my wife's Explorer Sport.
I was just going to say.... we had the EXACT same issue on my wife's Explorer Sport as well. And the dealer here was doing a few a week (Explorer's, Mustangs, Lincolns etc.) for the same aluminum body panel issues. The dealer told me to keep an eye on my 19 Mustang as well as they said it has a high likelyhood of developing some issues. So far its fine but it lives in my heated garage most of the year (Going on 3 years old with less than 15k on her). My old 2014 Mustang GT had its hood replaced under warranty for the same issue as well. We also have a 2016 Mazda that had its trunk panel replaced for the same problem, so, it would seem that its not a uniquely Ford problem. LOL.

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.

Thanks

paintpeeling.jpg
after winter about feb '20. i noticed both my rails bubbling. took to dealer svs ctr and its 100% covered. they ordered parts, set up appt and gave me loaner for 2 days. fyi fastens up from inside cab so headliner and all related need to come down to access. I posted pix in another thread earlier this yr.
all good now, they did tare some door weatherstrip in process but took care of that too. lucky the two steve's at st. charles ford here in IL are outstanding.

Okie19724

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ford ranger XLT
Occupation
RETIRED

Thanks

paintpeeling.jpg
yes I bought mine in Dec 2019 and the last year have round spots all around the truck except for the tailgate, have the corrosion, dent and ding warranties, and other ones as well contacted ford corporation and a service rep is working with me, recently took it down to dealership and explained what was going on, he took 26 pics around the truck and sent them to Ford, I only have 4250 miles on the truck. We will see have been complaining the last 5 months with more spots appearing all around the truck, they are small round spots and you can see the metal, I think bad paint job on it, so we will see, also renewing some of the warranties to keep it going. Love my ranger had a 2003 white ford ranger for over 10 years and love them, gave it to my stepdad to keep it in the family....good luck....waiting to hear word from Ford........

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4

port43

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
childrescuecoalition.org
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger STX FX4, 2017 Lincoln MKX, 2008 Harley XL 1200N, 1972 Pontiac LeMans Convertible
Occupation
Secret agent, man
i always get a laugh over the aluminum corrosion debate.
you do hear it all the time..."my F150 is aluminum, it wont rust"
and while that is chemically true, as it doesnt rust like steels do, corrosion is a problem with aluminum as well.

i wonder how this guys F150 will survive over the long run....

MAN that is gaudy.

JKocot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4, 2018 Explorer Sport
Occupation
Senior Systems Engineer/Former Marine
That link says "Coverage only applies if a body sheet metal panel becomes perforated due to corrosion..."
It's good to see that Ford is repairing "bubbling" issues (as they should), but their extended corrosion warranty actually doesn't cover it.
Page 11, paragraph 3:

"If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage, and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident, customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles"

https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/conten...ck-Warranty-version-1_frdwa_EN-US_04_2019.pdf

When I brought our Explorer to the dealership - they had a bunch of Explorers, Expeditions, and Mustangs with aluminum corrosion which was causing paint bubbling and peeling. The service advisor did not even question it. He said it was a known Ford factory issue. Is was so bad they changed the aluminum corrosion warranty in 2016 to 5 years unlimited miles. It has nothing to do with an extended warranty.

Here is the TSB : https://static.oemdtc.com/TSB/MC-10156863-9999.pdf.

Its a widespread known issue that has been going on for a while so it would not surprise me at all if any aluminum "panels" on the Ranger could be impacted.

DHH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Page 11, paragraph 3:
Page 11!?! You have more time than me. ?

I admit, I did not read past the one paragraph that comes up with that link, but non the less, 1st sentence refers to "...Corrosion Coverage Period". Second sentence states, "Coverage only applies if a body sheet metal panel becomes perforated..."

It is only my interpretation, (and seriously not trying to start something), but as I read it, regardless of what is in the Corrosion Warranty document, that 2nd sentence determines if it is covered or not.
If it is not perforated, then nothing in the document applies.

That be said, I think my interpretation (if true) is total bulls*** and I would scream and yell endlessly if the dealer tried to deny a paint "bubbling" claim. Fortunately, it seems that the issues are being covered.

OP
OP
cory1848

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Sport
Occupation
Sports Photographer
Ford is replacing the entire rail piece under warranty. Itā€™s on back order though so who knows when it will get done. Part cost is $530 I am told. Glad I caught this under warranty.

JKocot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Ford is replacing the entire rail piece under warranty. Itā€™s on back order though so who knows when it will get done. Part cost is $530 I am told. Glad I caught this under warranty.
Excellent! Hopefully the dealership did not give you any trouble getting this approved for you. I honestly don't understand why this is so wide spread for Ford. Good luck and hope they give you a loaner for the time they have it.

JKocot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Page 11!?! You have more time than me. ?

I admit, I did not read past the one paragraph that comes up with that link, but non the less, 1st sentence refers to "...Corrosion Coverage Period". Second sentence states, "Coverage only applies if a body sheet metal panel becomes perforated..."

It is only my interpretation, (and seriously not trying to start something), but as I read it, regardless of what is in the Corrosion Warranty document, that 2nd sentence determines if it is covered or not.
If it is not perforated, then nothing in the document applies.

That be said, I think my interpretation (if true) is total bulls*** and I would scream and yell endlessly if the dealer tried to deny a paint "bubbling" claim. Fortunately, it seems that the issues are being covered.
DHH - I agree - I guess it depends on how much the dealer will fight for the customer and what mood Ford is in at the time. I spent a good amount of time preparing for a fight with the dealership on this only to be pleasantly surprised when I got there. Like I mentioned earlier - my dealership was well aware of the aluminum corrosion issue.

What helped me in my case (wife's 2018 Explorer) was the TSB that Ford put out. Although it does not specifically mention 2019-2020 Rangers.

What does not help is the way Ford writes the verbiage in the warranty guide. I believe they are trying to say two different things, and are calling out aluminum panels separate from the body panels. My interpretation though.

(3) Your vehicleā€™s body sheet metal panels are covered for an extended Corrosion Coverage Period, which lasts for five years, regardless of miles driven. The extended warranty coverage only applies if a body sheet metal panel becomes perforated due to corrosion during normal use due to a manufacturing defect in factory-supplied materials or factory workmanship. If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage, and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident, customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles. For damage caused by airborne material (environmental fallout) where there is no factory-related defect involved and therefore no warranty āˆ’ our policy is to provide free repair of paint damage due to the airborne material for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cory1848

cory1848

First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 Sport
Occupation
Sports Photographer
Excellent! Hopefully the dealership did not give you any trouble getting this approved for you. I honestly don't understand why this is so wide spread for Ford. Good luck and hope they give you a loaner for the time they have it.
No trouble at all. At first they wanted to send me to the body shop so I had to specifically point out that the part should be replaced. He initially thought I was referencing the actual roof and not the rail. Once that was clarified they put the part on order.

JKocot

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
No trouble at all. At first they wanted to send me to the body shop so I had to specifically point out that the part should be replaced. He initially thought I was referencing the actual roof and not the rail. Once that was clarified they put the part on order.
Good deal. From what I read on the Mustang and Explorer forums about this issue - it stems from cross contamination of mixed metal shavings when the parts are stamped. Who knows....

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Good deal. From what I read on the Mustang and Explorer forums about this issue - it stems from cross contamination of mixed metal shavings when the parts are stamped. Who knows....
Hi Jim,

Reeks of supplier quality problems....Ford SQA should be on it to get it resolved so no contamination gets into the final product... So far so good for my 2019 Ranger....

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored