Damaged CV boot

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Well, i found a leaking CV boot this past weekend when changing oil and rotating tires. It is a very small leak at the current moment, but something that will need fixed. It was not leaking and I didn't see the damage at 5k miles, but it is there at 10k miles and hadn't been leaking long. I've wiped it clean in the picture so that i could see the damage. Appears something nicked it while the axle was rotating. After another 200 miles it is oozing out again.

Ive been searching for threads where someone had to reassemble their CV joint after overextending it during a lift install. If You happen to have one linked in your favorites, could you kindly share? I've been searching and not finding any detailed pictures of a disassembled CV joint specific to the ranger.
IMG_20221105_132407677.jpg
Sponsored

OP
OP
JasonTremor

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Who knows what happened. Most likely causes are something coming up while OffRoad. We're you doing that right off? Dont know. Regardless definitely need to fix. Might be worth going to the dealer and having them order the parts and scheduling the service. Fair warning this is not under warranty and will cost a fair bit.

OP
OP
JasonTremor

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I'm really just hoping someone snapped some pics of one while it was apart so i can have the visual before ordering the parts and tearing into it.

OP
OP
JasonTremor

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
I called my dealer parts department to order a boot kit for the axle and they suggested i run it by service first. Service wants to look at it, but indicated that they had never seen a boot damaged yet on the 5g Rangers and that it could be damage from assembly line. They not charging me to check it, so will let them look. Next week was earliest appointment.

Just a fyi, boot kit is available to service the entire axle and was $71.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
Is there grease spray from inside the boot all over the engine bay? Can you stick a finger in the 'hole'?

The cv boots on subi have gone out maybe 5 times since I lifted it. Each time I was pushing the car or doing something that pushed the cv angle to the max.

The boot kit requires pulling the entire CV, Correct? If so how much is a whole axle? For the subi it was more economical to replace the whole axle. (boot kit was 70+grease and time to "rebuild" the axle, the entire axle was 160 and I was back on the road in an hour. )

Reactions: EJH
OP
OP
JasonTremor

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Is there grease spray from inside the boot all over the engine bay? Can you stick a finger in the 'hole'?

The cv boots on subi have gone out maybe 5 times since I lifted it. Each time I was pushing the car or doing something that pushed the cv angle to the max.

The boot kit requires pulling the entire CV, Correct? If so how much is a whole axle? For the subi it was more economical to replace the whole axle. (boot kit was 70+grease and time to "rebuild" the axle, the entire axle was 160 and I was back on the road in an hour. )
It's a small hole on the large part on outer cv joint so sprinkling inside of wheel. Very minor leak currently. Truck is bone stock, so not lift related.

I would likely pull the entire axle to make it easier, but it could be done on the truck. Entire axle assembly is $205 if I went that route.

Will see if they decide to cover it before deciding the repair path.

Jhbryaniv

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Tremor
Vehicle Showcase
It's a small hole on the large part on outer cv joint so sprinkling inside of wheel. Very minor leak currently. Truck is bone stock, so not lift related.

I would likely pull the entire axle to make it easier, but it could be done on the truck. Entire axle assembly is $205 if I went that route.

Will see if they decide to cover it before deciding the repair path.
Understand it is bone stock.

It really is a cost/benefit that needs to be done on entire axle vs just the boot.

You can also do an axle swap and save the torn boot axle, repair it and keep it as a spare ;-)

I know a guy with a subi who does that. . .

OP
OP
JasonTremor

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Well, that service visit turned out differently than expected. They ordered a new axle and have me booked for this Friday morning to swap it out all under warranty.

OP
OP
JasonTremor

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Took Ranger in Friday morning and they made the repair. Looks like they just put the inner and outer boot kit on my axle and reinstalled it, just as I had planned to do. Everything looks good so far.

LB'sTremor

First Name
Loren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Iconic Lariat Tremor
Occupation
IT

Attachments

airline tech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat-Super Crew, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
I have always found is better since you have it apart is to just replace the CV Shaft assembly, but however that's when the Ranger shafts are widely available through Autozone Etc.

OP
OP
JasonTremor

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Looks like the replacement cv boot on the big end of the inner cv joint is officially leaking. I had taken it in at the 15k mile mark with the suspect leak and the service department wrote it off as residual grease from initial repair. They cleaned the area and sent me on my way to return if it leaked more.

OP
OP
JasonTremor

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Ford finally approved a replacement passenger side axle for the front of my truck. Going in next week for it to be switched out.
Sponsored