First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘20 Ranger XLT/‘03 Excursion
Occupation
Sheet Metal Worker
I recently volunteered to be a test mule for the CV Fabrication DP. I was sent a catless version without any installation instructions of any sort and here is what I found. The only difference I have over stock is an MBRP single side exit cat back exhaust. First off removal of the stock DP is bay FAR the worst part of the job breaking loose the hardware is not easy!! My general order of operations is
1. I sprayed penetrating fluid on all hardware before starting
2. Jack up the truck and place on stands
3. Remove exhaust to a point where you can have space between the DP and the straight pipe or the flex if you have stock. Some space is needed to remove the DP from the studs. 15MM deep well socket, 14MM socket, 13MM socket, I also used a 1" extension, swivel head wrench, 15mm open end/box end wrench, a 22mm open end/box end wrench and a phillips head screw driver.
4. Remove the lower nut from the underneath at the turbo
5. Remove the passenger side wheel
6. Remove the passenger side rubber flap leading to the engine bay
7. Both top nuts can be reached from the passenger side wheel well. My wonderful wife had to be my eyes and "steer" me from above to reach the inboard nut.
8. There are clips on both sensors that need to be removed from the adjacent lines they are attached to. There were 1 each on my truck
9. Remove the lower sensor wiring from the passenger side
10. Remove the upper sensor wiring from the top of the engine
11. The DP can be maneuvered slowly out the bottom being careful to not damage the sensor wiring
12. Remove the sensors making sure they go right back in the correct hole. 22mm wrench needed
13. Remove the metal gasket for reuse on the turbo side of the stock DP
The remaining steps are 13 down to 1 in reverse. Regarding the installation it was very easy and didn't take nearly as long as the removal did. The stock DP was a very large, very heavy piece of metal and the CVF DP was much smaller allowing a ton of more room to maneuver. The entire oval section of pipe is full of catalyst. The test DP is a very nicely fabricated piece of work. I am a custom fabricator by trade and I can really appreciate the work that went into the CVF DP, they did very a nice job. There was not an issue 1 with how the DP fit and functioned. The holes lined up perfectly on all attachment points. The DP outlet lined up very well with my MBRP exhaust which is a rigid connection compared to the stock set up. Jason from CVF was very responsive for the entire process. He even thought ahead and had his technicians "on stand by" in the event I got totally stuck they were there to answer any questions. I am by no means a mechanic but I can do bolt on mods fairly easy and this mod was not bad. Once you get the stock DP removed you are home free. This took me about 2-1/2 hours but had nothing to go on other than trial and error. If any one has any questions please feel free to ask and I will answer as best I can.
1617199884431.png
1617199867150.png
1617199837658.png
1617199803258.png

1617199776513.png
Sponsored

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Nice write up! I know my Mazdaspeeds were hard to purge of their stock pipes, but the catless aftermarket pipes went right in.

Interested to see how much this will be once the catted version is made.

CVF-Jason

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
General Sales Manager
Nice write up! I know my Mazdaspeeds were hard to purge of their stock pipes, but the catless aftermarket pipes went right in.

Interested to see how much this will be once the catted version is made.
Right now we're planning on $449.99, keeping in mind that it will be a 400 cell cat and T304 stainless steel. It will be up on CVFab.com soon, and feel free to give me a shout if you have any other questions in the meantime!

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Right now we're planning on $449.99, keeping in mind that it will be a 400 cell cat and T304 stainless steel. It will be up on CVFab.com soon, and feel free to give me a shout if you have any other questions in the meantime!
Thanks! That is a really good price.

Rinn69

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 Lightning Blue
Occupation
Retired USAF MSgt
Vehicle Showcase
@E Monty Once you've had a chance to drive it, could you let me (us) know if the turbo sound is noticeably louder ? I realize this is a performance part, but since I bought a turbo, I'd like to hear it....I know it won't be like my old F-250's 6.0, but I'd like to know it's there.
Thanks !!

OP
OP
E Monty

E Monty

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sheet Metal Worker
@E Monty Once you've had a chance to drive it, could you let me (us) know if the turbo sound is noticeably louder ? I realize this is a performance part, but since I bought a turbo, I'd like to hear it....I know it won't be like my old F-250's 6.0, but I'd like to know it's there.
Thanks !!
Hey Rinn, I have driven it the last few days to and from work and once with my 12YO son whilst giving it the beans... I'd say the turbo sound is semi noticeable but nothing like the Power Strokes you reference. If there is any turbo sound the exhaust quickly over takes it, this is the catless tester version for fitment so I assume that plays into it. I also say that but here in Michigan we are just starting to kiss the mid 60's so I have not driven with the windows down to hear it either. When letting off of it after a hard acceleration you can really hear the pressure relief going through the exhaust which is cool!! I have nothing to measure it by but it for certain feels like the acceleration really has improved. I did step on it at one of the lights outside of town where people try and take you on the right. I think I sucked the paint off the Colorado after giving him a trucks length, HAHA. The smell is bad but reminds me of what the cars used to smell like when I was a kid. I will get a some sort sound clip tomorrow.

wilsoN_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Tremor 2022 Kawasaki ZX-14R
Occupation
Logistics
I'll likely pick one up sometime since I volunteered to test and missed it by a few min lol... I feel the $449 price point is more reasonable, the other options are absurd at $600.

OP
OP
E Monty

E Monty

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Sheet Metal Worker
Thanks !!

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Are you guys considering an intercooler? Maybe one that doesn't cost a grand?

Reactions: Doc

CVF-Jason

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
General Sales Manager
Are you guys considering an intercooler? Maybe one that doesn't cost a grand?
Yes sir, she's coming! You'll be hearing more within a few months, for sure.

CVF-Jason

Gold Sponsor
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cvfab.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
General Sales Manager